Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Howard Or Yao

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Howard Or Yao

As a rockets hater, I gotta give credit where credit is due to Yao. Im not saying I think he is better than Dwight, I am still undecided on that.

Anyways, for a guy who doesnt get all the touches and is not really the guy you think of when you think Rockets, he still puts up nice numbers. Dude is good. I do wonder how he would do in a system where he gets ALOT of touches and is built around.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by iTruWarrior
    True, but didnt you just say Howard was better earlier? Or did you say you want Howard on the Rockets instead?
    Yeah I did but that's mostly due to age and the pace of the NBA.

Also the fact that Yao struggles way too much late in the game due to stamina. This really changes my confidence with Yao in the playoffs. When Yao starts bending over for quick breathers, it starts getting ugly.

But again, if Yao had legit shooters around him, he'd thrive because not many would be willing (at least they shouldn't) to leave their guys to double/triple Yao. That's another advantage Yao has over DH. Yao's offensive game demands a lot of attention.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by artest 93
    Yeah I did but that's mostly due to age and the pace of the NBA.

Also the fact that Yao struggles way too much late in the game due to stamina. This really changes my confidence with Yao in the playoffs. When Yao starts bending over for quick breathers, it starts getting ugly.

But again, if Yao had legit shooters around him, he'd thrive because not many would be willing (at least they shouldn't) to leave their guys to double/triple Yao. That's another advantage Yao has over DH. Yao's offensive game requires a lot of attention.
    Yao is much more useful and valuable in the playoffs than Howard.... The playoffs is when it slows down, Yao just needs some limited minutes... That's all.

He performed in the 2007 playoffs when he averaged 25/10 in the series. So..... I would take Howard for the future, but for now I will go with Yao Ming.

Quote Originally Posted by artest 93
    I just love the facts that support your claim! Repped!

While a decline is inevitable, Yao has been playing fantastic this year. Unfortunately under Adelman's system, there is no true focal point and that takes a bit away from Yao. Also, the Rockets badly need an unselfish point guard that can pass inside.

He's basically 20/10 with 13 fga and very few touches.
    OK,the fact is just he's aisan. Well, I am not a racist at all, cause I am asian too. And the other fact is his center position. As we know in general centers begin to decline earlier than guards.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by shawbryant
    OK,the fact is just he's aisan. Well, I am not a racist at all, cause I am asian too. And the other fact is his center position. As we know in general centers begin to decline earlier than guards.
    Ever heard of Hakeem Olajuwon? He reached his peak and prime in his 30's... Yao can be the same way his game different has been and never will be based off of athletic ability.

Hakeem regressed athletic ability when he reached his prime, but mentally he was much better. I can see Yao being the same way especially since he's done playing for Team China.

Karl Malone's bastard TMac&Luther's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shawbryant
    Yao will start to decline sooner than you can imagine.
    Decline, is he going to become slow and unathletic.

Yes he will decline, but unlike most big men that are stars because they're gifted with extreme athleticism for their size.....Yao's game isn't built like that at all.

Deke says he's 42 (who the hell knows) and he's just as athletic as Yao is right now.

National High School Star

Yao. Anybody who says otherwise is either racist or doesn't understand basketball or both.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I dont think Yao being asian has much to do with who people would pick. He has had one healthy year in the last 4, is 29 and has never won a playoff series, and despite having the skill to score on damn near anyone any time often fades away for long stretches. Part of that is coaching(lot of it even) but hes too good to be so irrelevant for such long periods of time. He wont ever get credit for being elite until it looks like he wants to be.

Yao is more skilled than Howard but hes hardly more dominant or effective because hes too too unselfish. Howard also has a problem with fading away on offense but hes a much more active defender and rebounder so he is rarely just out there with you wondering where he went.

Yao is a more effective defender than hes given credit for but Howard goes after it.

Howard seems to want to be a great player while Yao seems to want to be a great teammate. If I could make Yao aggressive id want him over Howard(for one season if healthy).

As things are?

Id take Howard. Im not sure hes ever been hurt and you can tell he wants to be the best. He seems more driven than Yao. Not talking off the court workethic either. Howard seems to want to dominate. If Yao wanted to be great like Howard does hed be a 30/10 player. But hes a little too passive. He might be the most unstoppable offensive weapon in the NBA but ive seen him go whole halfs and get like 2 good shots. Howard comes much closer to doing all he can win or lose. Yao coasts too much. Not all on him. Coaches should push him. force hi mthe ball. But for whatever reasons...Yao isnt as dominant as he could be.

And I know hes not an issue now but...Amare? I never thought about it but hes kinda the mid point between Dwight and Yao while lacking the extremes that make both of them great. Doesnt have Yaos size or polish around the basket or Howards athletic ability and relentlessness. Hes got just enough of both to be great.

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I dont think Yao being asian has much to do with who people would pick. He has had one healthy year in the last 4, is 29 and has never won a playoff series, and despite having the skill to score on damn near anyone any time often fades away for long stretches. Part of that is coaching(lot of it even) but hes too good to be so irrelevant for such long periods of time. He wont ever get credit for being elite until it looks like he wants to be.

Yao is more skilled than Howard but hes hardly more dominant or effective because hes too too unselfish. Howard also has a problem with fading away on offense but hes a much more active defender and rebounder so he is rarely just out there with you wondering where he went.

Yao is a more effective defender than hes given credit for but Howard goes after it.

Howard seems to want to be a great player while Yao seems to want to be a great teammate. If I could make Yao aggressive id want him over Howard(for one season if healthy).

As things are?

Id take Howard. Im not sure hes ever been hurt and you can tell he wants to be the best. He seems more driven than Yao. Not talking off the court workethic either. Howard seems to want to dominate. If Yao wanted to be great like Howard does hed be a 30/10 player. But hes a little too passive. He might be the most unstoppable offensive weapon in the NBA but ive seen him go whole halfs and get like 2 good shots. Howard comes much closer to doing all he can win or lose. Yao coasts too much. Not all on him. Coaches should push him. force hi mthe ball. But for whatever reasons...Yao isnt as dominant as he could be.

And I know hes not an issue now but...Amare? I never thought about it but hes kinda the mid point between Dwight and Yao while lacking the extremes that make both of them great. Doesnt have Yaos size or polish around the basket or Howards athletic ability and relentlessness. Hes got just enough of both to be great.
    Yao has never been surrounded with shooters and great PGs. He did average 25/9 under JVG before that freak accident. But under Adelman, the plan is everybody gets to shoot, Artest is selfish, Brooks has no idea how to get the ball to Yao, and Yao is just too nice to yell at them.

Saw a basketball once

Dwight Howard, has a large amount of stamina over Yao and is just more of a dominant force in the paint both on offense and defense

A few things that Yao is better on is passing and shooting an outside jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Vipertonna
    Dwight Howard, has a large amount of stamina over Yao and is just more of a dominant force in the paint both on offense and defense

A few things that Yao is better on is passing and shooting an outside jumper
    Umm, Dwight doesnt come close to being the "dominant force in the piant on offense" if he did, he wouldn't have a issue with Yao.

He's a player that's only effective within feet of the rim....outside of that he falls the hell off.

Like I've been saying for 3 damn years now....."until Howard develops post skills, he'll never be the best center in the league" Post Skills.....Dwight needs to learn them pronto.
    Last edited by TMac&Luther; 04-08-2009 at 03:30 AM.

Yao is currently owning Howard at this point so it's Yao. Only thing Yao lacks is speed, but he's unstoppable in the paint. When Howard is getting his SHlT rejected, then you know who's the man.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore dreaming121's Avatar

I don't watch too many Magic games. But, does Dwight's "post" move consist of only driving then spin then layup or dunk? I swear I've only seen him do that on this game.

Yao is more skilled offensively and plays good team defense. But Dwight is much more agressive in going to the rim and rebounding. He plays with more intensity and his number show it. Yao has better post moves and a much better shot but he's averaging less points on a lower FG% (still very good though). Howard is limited offensively, but he knows his limitations. He's also the best rebounder and arguably the best shotblocker in the league. I'd take Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Toizumi
    Yao is more skilled offensively and plays good team defense. But Dwight is much more agressive in going to the rim and rebounding. He plays with more intensity and his number show it. Yao has better post moves and a much better shot but he's averaging less points on a lower FG% (still very good though). Howard is limited offensively, but he knows his limitations. He's also the best rebounder and arguably the best shotblocker in the league. I'd take Howard.
    but when he plays against the best bigs in the league and playoff type teams that can keep him from the basket he gets his teeth kicked in.

Funny how the "best rebounder and shot blocker in the league" can never outrebound or out shot block little ol' Yao Ming....you know the crappy rebounder/shot blocker who's 7'6 and is a underachiever in that department due to his size...I mean he is 7'6, he should be grabbing 25 rebounds a game and blocking 10 shots per game.
    Last edited by TMac&Luther; 04-08-2009 at 03:57 AM.