Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Who is the best little man in NBA history?

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Look up Fat Lever. All 6-3 175 lbs of him. He ROUTINELY led his team in rebounding, and was even in the top-20, in the late 80's, and in an era of the tallest players, on average, in NBA history.
    He was a fun player to watch. Just did everything well on the court. Those teams with he, English, Hanzlick, Dunn, Natt...great, entertaining basketball.

Little man is a term that I hear a lot from big man, usually refereeing to guys who are 6'6". It fascinates me because these guys are so big that they consider someone who's 6'6" as little.

Quote Originally Posted by tgan3
    Iverson, Isiah or CP3?

edit: Take note that CP3 probably hasn't reached his prime and has many good years ahead of him...
    CP3 is all ready past his prime.3-5 more good seasons max
    It's Zeke>Archibald>CP3>AI

Banned

No little man had a greater peak/prime than CP3 did.

If we are talking the all-time list and overall body of work though, the answer is Isiah Thomas.

Isiah was never as good as CP3 was in '08 or in '09 though which is what I wanted to point out. Isiah gets really overrated, at least on this site.

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Look up Fat Lever. All 6-3 175 lbs of him. He ROUTINELY led his team in rebounding, and was even in the top-20, in the late 80's, and in an era of the tallest players, on average, in NBA history.
    He's great, but you just opened up a whole new list of players over 6'0m I think this thread is about true little men

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by lakers_forever

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    No little man had a greater peak/prime than CP3 did.

If we are talking the all-time list and overall body of work though, the answer is Isiah Thomas.

Isiah was never as good as CP3 was in '08 or in '09 though which is what I wanted to point out. Isiah gets really overrated, at least on this site.
    Thomas had four seasons (83-84 through 86-87) that rival Paul's two year peak. Paul never came within 2 assists per gm of Thomas' best season. Thomas' first 6 seasons are better across the board.

Hell, Archibald's 72-73 season obliterated Paul's best.

To say Paul's 160 game peak is unrivaled is ridiculous.

And you have no idea how much I hate defending Isiah Thomas.
    Last edited by JMT; 02-19-2012 at 04:33 PM.

talent/skill/productions:

iverson > isiah > cp3

career/accomplishments:

isiah > iverson > cp3

Quote Originally Posted by tgan3
    Iverson, Isiah or CP3?

edit: Take note that CP3 probably hasn't reached his prime and has many good years ahead of him...

I hope you don't believe it's just those three guys that should be talked about.

Zeke

Cousy

Iverson

Archibald

Price

Goodrich

Stockton

Nash

CP3

In no particular order because everyone's criteria is going to be slightly different.

There's prob a few more still - but man... u leavin out so many valid candidates

I'll take the guy who took a bunch of nobodies to two chips.

Iverson

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

When I think little man I think 6'1 and under. If were are talking between Zeke, AI, and CP3 its an interesting debate. I've always felt AI is like an Isiah or CP3 unleashed at the SG position. AI was more than capable of playing PG very well. But Larry Brown was the guy to notice that AI was a great scorer who thought more like a SG. With Eric Snow u have a PG who was a great defender and could check SG's. So it was the perfect setup and AI propelled himself to a top 6 GOAT SG of all time. If anything, guys like Rose and Westbrook resemble the days when AI played PG early in his career. Not in terms of size, but in terms of being great scorers who can play PG very well. But those kinds of players might be better of at SG in certain situations.

With that said, I think Isiah was just as capable of dominating a game scoring as AI. I think CP3 can as well or is just a hair behind Zeke and AI in that aspect. AI and CP3 are capable of being great passers and great scorers all in one while fufilling the duties your want from a PG at the highest levels. So if I want a dominant combo type guard I would pick AI. If I want a PG who is capable of dominating scoring and passing wise I would pick Zeke and CP3. I think Isiah historically is the best of these three. Peak value wise I think I would roll with Isiah as well. I love AI, but Isiah proved he can go on scoring binges and be an alpha dog on the level of AI. But in the all around sense, CP3 the best of these three because of his defense.

But I give Tiny Archibald HUGE CREDIT for being the godfather for these kinds of players. U saw elements of Tiny in all three of these kinds. Hell he is still the only player to lead the L in assists and scoring in the same season. So in my book, I think these are the top 10 little guys of all time (no particular order after the first four):

Isiah
    AI
    Tiny
    CP3
    Stockton
    Cousy
    KJ
    Tim Hardaway
    Calvin Murphy
    Mark Price-Lenny Wilkens (my sleeper picks)
    Last edited by bizil; 02-20-2012 at 05:00 AM.

6'0" Isiah Thomas

Archibald was 6-1 and people talking about him. Hell, even Starbury(6-2) is mentioned. So there is nothing wrong with mentioning another 6-2 one;
    Jerry West.

I win.