Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    I rule the local playground

Default Re: If you hate the media comparisons of Kobe to MJ

Quote Originally Posted by Logical
    Yup.

People "hate" on Jordan because he was too good.
    People "hate" on Kobe because he is too overrated.

It's really easy to call someone a hater. Just overrate something or make a crazy claim, and then when someone corrects you, call them a hater.
    This part of the Kobe Fanatic playbook. Meanwhile, they can say whatever they want about Bron, Wade, MJ, etc. but they're not "haters".

BTW, are we talking about the same media that promotes worthless, talentless reality show "stars" like Kim Kardashian, paris Hilton and all the rest of it? We're supposed to pretend that what they promote is worth a damn?

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    Now how about you mention that Adam Morrison is one of those five players who have a PER over 15
    I actually just clicked on PER at basketball-reference and saw 5 over 15. Assumed it must've been their core 6 excluding Fisher. It was an honest mistake. Either way, that's still 4 over 15(15 is the league average), which is still nothing to sneeze at. Hardly any champions have 4 over 15. And almost none who follow the 2 superstars+role players team make up.

(and higher than any of second three peat Jordan)
    Umm, not really. Kobe's PER last year was equal to '96 MJ. But '97 and '98 MJ had a better PER.

Bynum's "PER" is only high because of the first round, he was injured afterwards and was contributing nothing more than an average center.
    Even if he wasn't scoring much, he's still a huge part of that D. How many teams have the luxury of starting 2 mobile 7 footers? Come on, that's almost half the reason why LA's so good. Nobody has an answer to their size. They own the paint and that is where games are won.

Saw a basketball once

I dont think Kobe will sniff another title. he's severly overrated all around hes been carried to 5 titles he shouldnt be compared. in all honesty Lebrons closer to jordan
    Last edited by broke3113; 07-04-2010 at 08:00 PM.

^

Anyway, I agree. The comparison are just going to become more and more prevalent.

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Logical
    Yup.

People "hate" on Jordan because he was too good.
    People "hate" on Kobe because he is too overrated.

It's really easy to call someone a hater. Just overrate something or make a crazy claim, and then when someone corrects you, call them a hater.
    Truer words have never been spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
    then you better HOPE that Kobe does not win his second 3-peat.

Thus, you should be hoping that Team Diva DOES happen, so as to thwart that 3-peat.
    when did he win his first 3-peat again?

Quote Originally Posted by Indian guy
    I actually just clicked on PER at basketball-reference and saw 5 over 15. Assumed it must've been their core 6 excluding Fisher. It was an honest mistake. Either way, that's still 4 over 15(15 is the league average), which is still nothing to sneeze at. Hardly any champions have 4 over 15. And almost none who follow the 2 superstars+role players team make up.

Umm, not really. Kobe's PER last year was equal to '96 MJ. But '97 and '98 MJ had a better PER.

Even if he wasn't scoring much, he's still a huge part of that D. How many teams have the luxury of starting 2 mobile 7 footers? Come on, that's almost half the reason why LA's so good. Nobody has an answer to their size. They own the paint and that is where games are won.

Um, dude. . .MJ's career average PER is 27.9. Kobe has exceeded that PER a single time in his career, with 28.0 on the dot. So for one magical season, Kobe had 0.1 PER better than Jordan's career average PER.

Also Jordan's PER in '96 was 29.4. That destroys Kobe's best season with ease. Maybe you meant '95 when Jordan came back for a dozen games after nearly 2 seasons of retirement and was rusty? Jordan still had a better PER than Kobe did last season. 22.1 vs 21.9.

So in conclusion:

Kobe's career PER: 23.5

Jordan's: 27.9.

Kobe's single best season PER: 28.0

Jordan's best season PER: 31.7

Jordan exceeded Kobe's best PER seven times, and nearly exceeded it three other times. Kobe has never come close to Jordan's career PER besides that one season where he BARELY equaled it. Oh and fyi, LeBron had a better PER than Kobe that year.

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

damn...MJ fans jumped right in to this one.
    next time, please pay attention to the thread title and content before getting all defensive.

next time, please pay attention to the thread title and content before getting all defensive.
    Rofl, stop pretending everyone who posts facts is "being defensive", or "being a fan". I simply strive to prevent bogus facts from being spread, especially by fanboys.

Exactly what kind of responses were you expecting?

Quote Originally Posted by SinJackal
    Rofl, stop pretending everyone who posts facts is "being defensive", or "being a fan". I simply strive to prevent bogus facts from being spread, especially by fanboys.
    you missed the point of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysunny
    Exactly what kind of responses were you expecting?
    you're right. I should def know better by now.

@ how butt-hurt some of you people are. It's pathetic, really.

I love how some of you act like Kobe has some unprecedented luxury of having a team that's capable of stepping up and carrying the load. You same people act like Jordan NEVER had a bad game in his life. But then, how did Jordan shoot 41% against Seattle in '96? How did they win game 6 while Jordan shot 5-19? Or how about in both game 6's against the Jazz when Jordan missed a combined 40 shots? How about when Scottie took over for the Bulls in a must win game 3 where Jordan shot 3-18?

Newsflash: Every team that wins a title has multiple players capable of stepping up. It isn't just Kobe's team.

you missed the point of the thread.
    I was only replying to a single person, the point of the thread doesn't matter when I'm talking to someone specifically about their bogus claims.

Next time I make a post directed at the topic, rather than replying to a person, and I am posting off topic. . .you can complain that I missed the point of the thread. Deal? :P

NBA rookie of the year ginobli2311's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doranku
    @ how butt-hurt some of you people are. It's pathetic, really.

I love how some of you act like Kobe has some unprecedented luxury of having a team that's capable of stepping up and carrying the load. You same people act like Jordan NEVER had a bad game in his life. But then, how did Jordan shoot 41% against Seattle in '96? How did they win game 6 while Jordan shot 5-19? Or how about in both game 6's against the Jazz when Jordan missed a combined 40 shots? How about when Scottie took over for the Bulls in a must win game 3 where Jordan shot 3-18?

Newsflash: Every team that wins a title has multiple players capable of stepping up. It isn't just Kobe's team.
    very very true.

a few things though.

1. most of the criticism does not come because kobe plays with a great team. it comes because kobe has played so poorly at times in the playoffs. where has he in the 4th qtrs in the finals? where has he with game winning shots? i think even you can admit that we would think of jordan differently if it was kukoc and pippen making all the big shots in the playoffs year after year. it was artest and gasol and fisher that made the big shots this year. it was fisher last year that made the defining shots. the fact remains that kobe's level of play is not up to the standards of the all time greats. that is why he gets some hate. if he played great and shot well in the finals....nobody would be talking about gasol at all. you fail to realize that.

2. as for your post about supporting casts. i could not agree more. but you have to apply that same context and logic to guys like dirk / lebron / wade / kg in minny.......they didn't have championship level supporting casts and that is why they haven't won a lot of titles. kobe....like many other all time greats....has had the luxury of great supporting casts. so don't use that as an argument now and then hate on lebron for not winning with mo/jamison and mike brown. you can't have it both ways.

the simple fact that if you want to put kobe in that elite top 8 at some point. he has to player better in the finals and in the playoffs in general. he can't disappear for 3 or 4 games at a time. level of play is what matters most....this is just proof of it.