Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dear MLSE

Default Re: Dear MLSE

At first I was down on this pick. Then I realized that Masai knows what he is doing. This pick may bust, but it may also be a huge sleeper. I think the KD comparison is ridiculous, but I can see this guy developing into a starting SF that plays solid 2 way basketball.

Other options at this pick that guys would have wanted?
    Capella - I'm sure Masai knows that this guy is not Serge Ibaka.
    Napier aka the next mario chalmers/ nate cole...

I'm not expecting much at this end of the draft, but I'm excited that we got a freakish athlete that is passionate about improving his game. Masai has done it before so let's see what happens in SL.

Local High School Star

I absolutely concede that there are great international players.. and some of those indeed in the SanAn franchise.

I absolutely concede that modeling our franchise after the SanAn path to success is a worthy goal.

I absolutely concede this young Brazilian "may" set the league on fire in 4 years. This draft pick is a 'swing for the fences' move.

I semi-concede that that player chosen at 20 may have been a 9 depth talent ; there was fairly consistent expert agreement that what was on the table at 20 was better than that in a deep draft. 7 depth ? 6 depth ? Core starter - no one can predict.

--

Lost in this debate - back and forth is the timing.

I do not concede that this was the right move at this moment in the franchise development.

I do not concede that taking a "flyer or home run swing" helps our team resign Lowry or even make the playoffs next year ! There is no guarantee given our depth we are a lock to make the playoffs next season (we should)

We should have taken "almost developed" talent now and worry about home runs down the road.

We should be looking to maintain franchise momentum leading up to hosting the All Star game. We should be looking to become a "franchise destination"... we may never be LA, Miami, New York or Chicago... but we don't have to be Milwaukee, Cleveland, Minnesota, or Utah.

Further it is also just possible that a McDaniels (or Capella or ?) could have been a "semi home run".... or a home run draft pick as good and as the young Brazillian. Way too hard to predict right now but it is 'possible' if not likely.
    Last edited by Jballer; 06-30-2014 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jballer
    I absolutely concede that there are great international players.. and some of those indeed in the SanAn franchise.

I absolutely concede that modeling our franchise after the SanAn path to success is a worthy goal.

I absolutely concede this young Brazilian "may" set the league on fire in 4 years. This draft pick is a 'swing for the fences' move.

I semi-concede that that player chosen at 20 may have been a 9 depth talent ; there was fairly consistent expert agreement that what was on the table at 20 was better than that in a deep draft. 7 depth ? 6 depth ? Core starter - no one can predict.

--

Lost in this debate - back and forth is the timing.

I do not concede that this was the right move at this moment in the franchise development.

I do not concede that taking a "flyer or home run swing" helps our team resign Lowry or even make the playoffs next year ! There is no guarantee given our depth we are a lock to make the playoffs next season (we should)

We should have taken "almost developed" talent now and worry about home runs down the road.

We should be looking to maintain franchise momentum leading up to hosting the All Star game. We should be looking to become a "franchise destination"... we may never be LA, Miami, New York or Chicago... but we don't have to be Milwaukee, Cleveland, Minnesota, or Utah.

Further it is also just possible that a McDaniels (or Capella or ?) could have been a "semi home run".... or a home run draft pick as good and as the young Brazillian. Way too hard to predict right now but it is 'possible' if not likely.
    Teams that take "almost developed" guys are teams like Miami that want players to contribute right away. If we take the "almost developed guy" and aren't improving that much we will be stuck in the never ending cycle of NBA mediocrity.

Let's face it our roster is 3 seed at best in the East. Home run guys are probably the guys we want, considering we don't have anything on our roster that is a top notch NBA player and only one guy thats ever been an allstar.

I know there have been rumours about Durant and how Toronto will make a run at Durant, but theres only one Durant and with Durant and 30 other teams. We aren't getting him, considering our hisory. Besides I don't want any awful free agents, and there aren't many underpaid FA.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by kmart
    Teams that take "almost developed" guys are teams like Miami that want players to contribute right away. If we take the "almost developed guy" and aren't improving that much we will be stuck in the never ending cycle of NBA mediocrity.
    Agree to disagree mate.

Almost developed guys or role and depth are the guys SanAn brings in i.e. Tiago Splitter.

They form the basis the core depth that allows the 2nd unit to perform (like San An) and also are commodity pieces in the trade for that "one guy you really want".

Dont disagree with your assessment re Durant etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jballer
    I

This pick wasn't about this moment... and that's what makes it so refreshing, IMO. A GM who clearly has his eye in the 'now' (in his continued pursuit of Lowry) while keeping the hopper filled with young (cheap) talent (in a draft position where you're pretty unlikely to get someone who can have a real impact now)? That's pretty awesome if you ask me.

I mean, if we were talking about a top 10 pick, I'd be singing a different tune. But we're talking about the 20th overall pick here.