Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I rule the local playground

Default Re: Phil Jackson compares Kobe to MJ

No surprise this thread was created by a Jordan groupie.
    Kobe> Jordan.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSHOT
    No surprise this thread was created by a Jordan groupie.
    Kobe> Jordan.
    Where are Kobe's finals MVP's and top 50 finals performances?

Jordan has 6 finals mvp's and all 6 of his finals are top 25.

Stop f***** trolling.

Very good NBA starter

after what just happened in the finals, people still have the delusion to compare kobe to the real thing?

phil choked for like 5 seconds because he was afraid of answering the question frankly. he had to dance around it like a poor politician.

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

Obviously, PJax, along with every other sane person, knows that MJ is the greater player (and always will be). BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT.

The point is that they ARE comparable. Any time you compare someone to one of the GOATs, it speaks volumes about that player.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DCL
    after what just happened in the finals, people still have the delusion to compare kobe to the real thing?

phil choked for like 5 seconds because he was afraid of answering the question frankly. he had to dance around it like a poor politician.
    That's funny as hell. I didn't notice that...

Local High School Star Kobe=MVP07`'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 23jordan23
    Heres just my opinion:

Inside scoring-Jordan
    Dribbles-Kobe
    Jump Shot-toss up (on Average) ..(Cluth situation/Game on the line)-Jordan
    Dunks-Jordan
    Defense-Jordan
    3points-i'd give the edge to Kobe
    Passing-Jordan
    Post up-Jordan

Im not even trying to be biased, but I feel Jordan beats him in most category's.
    im sorry but kobe is extremely under rated when it comes to passing, just b/c he doesnt have 12 ast a game doesnt mean he is an avg passer
    he makes alot of nice passes but thats not what makes him a very good passer, he knows the angles/speed/timing and sees the floor

With the Posting up issue many analysts say kobe is the best post up player today thing is he doesnt post up as much as MJ did that was the focus of the offense to have

MJ was there post presence
    If you watched the spurs series this year or the suns series 2 years ago you would of seen how effiecient he was when he posted [50%+ fg vs the spurs]

D i give the edge to MJ b/c KB [like myself] is not interested in playing man D until the last few mins of a game on the opposing teams best player he'd rather play passing lanes and play help position D ect,,

Inside scoring MJ also has the edge ..the guy is clearly bigger and i feel had better hops/hang time

Dunks is not a big deal they are both up there in that catagory Kobe taking the baseline dunk to a new level

Quote Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
    Obviously, PJax, along with every other sane person, knows that MJ is the greater player (and always will be). BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT.

The point is that they ARE comparable. Any time you compare someone to one of the GOATs, it speaks volumes about that player.
    If you look at Jordan's career, and all he accomplished (specifically in the playoffs) they aren't comparable.

If you're going by playing style, body type and high scoring regular season games than maybe they are.

But overall? Nah. Not comparable.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    I found it interesting because Phil Jackson is known to be somewhat diplomatic. He currently coaches Kobe so I don't think he would say something that may flare up an old wound.
    Yup. LOL @ anyone who thinks that Jackson could have answered that question any differently and still maintained a peaceful relationship with Kobe "ego" Bryant.

This was actually a 7+ minute interview, of which we hear only a part in this video. It's funny how Phil clears his throat like 12 times and hesitates for 37 seconds before answering that loaded question. And then he goes on to describe all the ways in which Jordan is superior to Kobe. I thought that was very telling.

I also don't think that Kobe is as skilled as Jordan. Lots of Kobe fans who never saw prime Jordan like to talk nonsense. Kobe is a better shooter beyond 23 feet, and has a better "modern" handle (read: And-1 style; I don't think it counts for much, personally, since Jordan could get wherever he wanted and get any shot against any type of defense). Jordan was a significantly better rebounder, a moderately better passer, a (more moderately) better playmaker, had better footwork (and Jordan's came naturally, and he was the originator), a far better post game, was far better off the ball, and was superior in every aspect of defense, particularly help/team defense where he takes a massive dump on Kobe.

So if Kobe's 3-point shooting and "handle" is enough to offset all that, then I don't know what to say. I also don't think that Kobe is nearly the decision maker or has nearly the court awareness and ability to read defenders/defenses like Jordan did. Those are skills too, you know. Kobe doesn't have the same sense of when a defender's weight is shifted that Jordan had.

I usually hit open layups Mr. Bryant's Avatar

Just imagine if Phil actually told everyone the truth about how over hyped and overrated jordon was. It would just destroy the NBA and a lot of its delusional fans.

Phil knew this and was pondering on what to say as he was asked the question because obviously having better basketball skills makes you a better player.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe=MVP07`
    im sorry but kobe is extremely under rated when it comes to passing, just b/c he doesnt have 12 ast a game doesnt mean he is an avg passer
    Kobe is not an average passer (he's very good, especially for his position), but he's not as good as Jordan was in that regard.

With the Posting up issue many analysts say kobe is the best post up player today thing is he doesnt post up as much as MJ did
    Kobe's post game is primitive next to Jordan's. Period. I don't know how anyone who watched both extensively could say otherwise. Unless they have Laker avatars, that is.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bryant
    jordon

I mean really, how can anyone see this interview as anything but diplomacy towards his current player? The clearing of the throat, the long pause, the "yeah, he...,he is" and then proceeding to detail how Jordan is superior (rather than detail how Kobe is) etc. I mean, come on...

Local High School Star Kobe=MVP07`'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Kobe is not an average passer (he's very good, especially for his position), but he's not as good as Jordan was in that regard.

Kobe's post game is primitive next to Jordan's. Period. I don't know how anyone who watched both extensively could say otherwise. Unless they have Laker avatars, that is.
    ah yes we have been expecting you loki
    i wondering when you would make your appearence to yet another jordan thread:)

Mike had developed his postup -fadeaway very nicely into the 90s

but posting up generally i feel it is b/c the triangle phil employed with the bulls team included jordan posting up alot more often
    And in the laker teams he had shaq to do the posting and really never went back to posting kobe
    but when you watch kobe post you see why is one of the GOATs he was working in the post the whole spurs series and they crushed the champs with his Jordan-esque FG%..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe=MVP07`
    ah yes we have been expecting you loki
    i wondering when you would make your appearence to yet another jordan thread:)

Mike had developed his postup -fadeaway very nicely into the 90s

but posting up generally i feel it is b/c the triangle phil employed with the bulls team included jordan posting up alot more often
    And in the laker teams he had shaq to do the posting and really never went back to posting kobe
    but when you watch kobe post you see why is one of the GOATs he was working in the post the whole spurs series and they crushed the champs with his Jordan-esque FG%..
    First off, Kobe was not working in the post that much in the SA series. Don't act like you're the only one who saw the series.

Secondly, Jordan's post superiority isn't because of his "fadeaway," it's because he was better and craftier at establishing position, could read his defender better, had many more moves and fakes, and was just very intuitive down there. There's really no comparison between their post games imo. The only area of the game where the difference between them is larger is team/help defense.

National High School Star

comon Da Realist, you didn't have to post this old interview again.

And as for everyone else, why you guys even talk to most Kobe fans on this site is beyond me.

i remember someone asking tex winter why kobe wasnt used in the post more and he said because kobe cant hold his position. how many times have we seen kobe start out demanding the ball about 5 feet from the basket and then getting it about 20 feet out? and personally, i dont think kobe is a better 3pt shooter than prime jordan. when jordan 1st came in the league he was like a 15% 3pt shooter, in his prime, he like a 36% 3pt shooter. while kobe is at about 33%.
    Last edited by 97 bulls; 07-15-2008 at 05:57 PM.