Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Did SHAQ make a mistake bulking/chubbing up?

Quote Originally Posted by SyRyanYang
    He didn't decide to bulk up.

Serious question, he DIDN'T do that on purpose? How does one gain muscle mass...not on purpose ??

Quote Originally Posted by Force
    Shaq went to college and got drafted in 1992, he declined after 2006. lol at people complaining about longevity.

Let's start a thread about Tim Duncan now. In fact, he declined at a much younger age than Shaq did. Maybe if Duncan bulked up a little bit he wouldn't have been getting dunked on by everybody while he was still in his 20's. what an underachiever.

Thread like these make me hate the board. Been gone for weeks, I'll be gone again. See ya'll when the season starts.
    When you consider minutes and age it looks like duncan is pretty consistent to me...but im not disagreeing that bulking up might have helped him.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    shaq had the perfect weight and skill for about 3 years

pretty lame prime if you ask me. i dont care how dominant it was. it was only 3 peak years ( kobes has been going for a decade+ )

absolutely 1 dimensional phenom from 1992-1999

absolute fat overweight POS from 2003-2010

he was lucky to have wade carry him with zo playing most of the 4th Q minutes
    Curious that a 1 dimensional player, and a "POS" had a cumulative had 5 seasons (emphasis here that this is NOT including his 3 year peak) better than Kobe's best by PER and 4 such years better than Kobe's best WS/48 plus one tied with his best. He then has 3 further non-peak years better with a better PER than Kobe's second best season, though only one further year with a superior WS/48.

Sorry to make it Shaq vs Kobe, but if this guy can't keep an argument in his own thread http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=272925 it should be showed that by his own words

"POS" > Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by Owl
    Curious that a 1 dimensional player, and a "POS" had a cumulative had 5 seasons (emphasis here that this is NOT including his 3 year peak) better than Kobe's best by PER and 4 such years better than Kobe's best WS/48 plus one tied with his best. He then has 3 further non-peak years better with a better PER than Kobe's second best season, though only one further year with a superior WS/48.

Sorry to make it Shaq vs Kobe, but if this guy can't keep an argument in his own thread http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=272925 it should be showed that by his own words

"POS" > Kobe
    could you comment on the subject in my post? You come off as someone who knows his stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Force
    LOL, how much longer did you want him to dominate? He killed both Robert Parish and Greg Oden on the court. Talk about longevity. How many centers were as much of a force as him for that long of a time?
    Robert Parish was how old when they faced? (serious question) And how brittle was oden? haha

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    Robert Parish was how old when they faced? (serious question) And how brittle was oden? haha
    Arrrr. You making me post again when I'm not supposed to. You can't be that dumb.

I mentioned parish and oden because parish is about to be 59 years old and Oden is 24 years old. Shaq played against both so it's silly for people to try to diss Shaq about longevity because he played for a very long time, tons of playoff games and never had a major injury.

Horrible misleading photos.

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

thread title would make more sense if Shaq didn't achieve anything

How is 4 rings a mistake? I need to make more mistakes in my life.

Local High School Star

could you comment on the subject in my post? You come off as someone who knows his stuff
    Kind of you to say so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl
    Shaq himself said no. He said he was injury prone in Miami because Riley overworked him and because he didn't have the cushioning layer of fat (science at work for you there).

But I'm fairly sure that the consensus is that Shaq let himself get out of shape in LA and that led to injuries and a drop off in athleticism which led too further injuries down the road and Shaq's sharp decline after '06.
    So yeah Shaq's questionable commitment to conditioning probably cost him a couple of years off his prime (and made some of those post-peak years 03/04-05/06 a little worse than they had to be). Stuff like his decision to "heal on company time" showed how he wasn't committed to arriving at camp in shape and I think playing overweight definitely would have harmed his joints, especially the knees. As one poster suggested he might be in GOAT conversations if a few of his years were a little better and his peak slightly longer (then again I expect his team's Orlando and early LA playoff failures would still be held against him at least by some anti-Shaq elements, whether or not they were his fault, my leaning is that they weren't).

Shaq entered the league in '92 aged 20 (DOB March 6th, 1972), Parish turned 39 in that off season (DOB August 30th, 1953). Parish's final season was 96-97 on the Bulls and he last played Shaq on Feburary 1997 aged 43 1/2, though by then Parish was the teams 3rd center. In 92/93 and 93/94 (at 39 and 40) Parish was still Boston's first choice center and was playing in Atlantic Division with Shaq.

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

Serious question, he DIDN'T do that on purpose? How does one gain muscle mass...not on purpose ??
    Are you sure it's all muscle he gained? He looked lean and mean when first came into the league and never looked the same ever since.
    Of course he do strength training regularly 'cause that's what pros do, during which he gained muscle. But he gets chubby because he didn't workout hard enough & too lazy to do cardio & can't control his big mouth.

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by East_Stone_Ya
    thread title would make more sense if Shaq didn't achieve anything
    I guess it still makes sense since he's an underachiever. People would expect him to achieve more with his gift.

I dont think it was a conscious decision on Shaq's part (Lets be fat now! ), he viewed the game... as a game. He dominated, he had fun, and at the same time didnt bothered to keep in a good shape or improve his game.

Shaq could have been GOAT with Jordan's mentality and work ethics (or even Kobe's, for that matter). Yet its another case of an insane potential, which was never fully explored.

]
    One word, perspective. For all i know ball could be at rim level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDlxpnRxDJs

Shaq was at his fattest in LA and he completely dominated. The weight wasn't an issue until he started to get old. David Robinson was always in peak shape and he declined at the same age as Shaq did. Pointless thread.