Saw a basketball once

Default Need Help on a Basketball Weight Lifting/Workout Plan

Ok well I am going to be a Sophmore in HS, and since its the summer and off-season, this is where success is really made.

I want to start some sort of Weightlifting/Workout plan thats going to help me, but the thing is, im not Workout Nut or Nutrition Expert to know what i should be doing. So If anyone can give me any tips, i'd be very very grateful. And if someone even actually put the time and effort to create one for me, i'd give you all the thanks in the world. I have even heard something about Rep or something and idk how that works because i am new here but if you tell me how i'l Rep you.

Ok here are some things that i dont know if you'l need but here are some details to give me tips:

[LIST][*]14 years old, going to be a Sophmore next year in HS[*]5'10 1/2 - 5'11. Am not Exact.[*]160 lbs. Recently been losing a lil, like 5 pounds, but it alternates as i gain it back then lose it,[*]i play SF, SG, and can even play a little bit of PG, depends on how the coach is feeling. lol.[*]I play basketball Every day, there's the occasional 1 day too busy or something, but thats rare.[*]I play intense, like, sweat and all, hardcore sweat.[*]I can sometimes touch rim, thats occasional and how i'm feeling/how fresh i am[*]I've got somewhat muscle as i workout very rarely. The Last 2 weeks i have because of basketball and all, but i've stopped as camp stopped.[/LIST]

Now Nutrition Wise-
    I eat whatever i feel like. Whatever i have the option to eat. I do have like a little layer of fat on my stomach though.

Now, if anyone can give me some tips/workouts/workout plans/ anything, Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Need Help on a Basketball Weight Lifting/Workout Plan

Well, I've downloaded VJB, and had a look at it, but I can't really follow it fully, so I've made a program for myself. Let me share it with you:
    Program
    -Monday:
    Plyo: -3*15 Normal Squats (after 4weeks I'll start with squats holding f.e. a 4kg dumbbell)
    -4*25 Toe Raises
    Core strenght:-4*15 Sit ups (2nd week 5*15,3rd week 6*15,... till 10*15)

-Tuesday:
    -4*10 Tricep extensions (really hard if you just start)
    -4*15 Sit ups (2nd week 5*15,3rd week 6*15,... till 10*15)
    -4*15 Dumbbell Raises

-Wednesday:
    -Plyo: -3*15 Normal Squats (after 4weeks I'll start with squats holding f.e. a 4kg dumbbell)
    -4*25 Toe Raises

-Thursday:
    -4*15 Dumbbell Raises

-Friday:
    -Plyo: -3*15 Normal Squats (after 4weeks I'll start with squats holding f.e. a 4kg dumbbell)
    -4*25 Toe Raises

-Saturday:
    -4*15 Dumbbell Raises

AND play ball

-Sunday:
    Just play ball as much as you can, and REST

Notes; As you can see I do plyo's 3times a week, even tho VJB does it 2 times. This is because the VJB workout is much more spread. With the limited plyos, but 3 times a week, it's about the same thing. Remember; It's not the amount that counts, it's the number of repetitions you do. The Tricep Extensions and the Core exercises are related to vertical jump training, and'll help you also with improving you speed/agility/...

Nutrition
    Now, as you stated, food is very important. But don't go to far. Your body needs all the vitamins it can get.
    As breakfast, I take a bowl of cereals/6 pieces of brown bread (gives you much more nutritional value than white bread), a litre milk (just keep drinking) and a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice.
    Lunch is mostly the same thing. Eat as much bread/yoghurt you can get and try to eat atleast one of them. For drinks, I go with water/selfmade iced tea with one cup of sugar.
    Dinner; here's when the fun starts. For protein, you should eat chicken or fish (low-fat, like Tuna-filet or Cod-filet). You can eat a steak, but make sure it's the filet (filet pure or chateau briand). DON'T eat lamb and such, because the meat is full of fat. Cauliflower, broccoli, tomatoes, carrots, etc are all good vegetables.

Snacks
    When you get hungry, and you want to eat something little, take fruit. Or Cracottes.

This is really helping me, and it'll probably help you...
    Oh yea, and it's checked and approved by my chiropractor.
    Greets,
    SG
    Last edited by Suprageex; 07-08-2009 at 11:23 AM.

Suprageex has a pretty good workout going. This was my work that I HAVE TO GET BACK TO, I've been on a 4 week shortage of cheap workouts since I came back from vacation, mostly because I have been spending more time polishing my shot and moves for league play

My General regiment:

Monday: CHEST
    1-2 mile run, 10 minutes of dynamic stretching
    Bench Press - 4sets x 15(warmup),10,8,6,4
    Incline Press - 4sets x 15(warmup),10,8,6,4
    Dips - 4sets x 25,20,15,10 (work till failure every set)
    Dumbell flies - 4sets x 10,10,10,10
    * Decline Press - 4sets 10,8,6,4
    OR
    * Chest Fly Machine - 4sets 15,12,10,8
    10 Updowns (300 yard sprint) on full length court
    3 x 2 consecutive suicides (3 minutes rest)

Tuesday: ARMS
    Preacher Curls - 3sets x 10,10,10
    Standing Curls - 3sets x 10,10,10
    Seated Incline Curls - 3sets x 12,8,10 (increase weight every set)
    Wrist Curls - 4sets x 40,40,40,40
    Reverse Wrist Curls - 4sets x 20,20,20,20
    Bonecrushers - 3sets x 10,10,10,10
    Closegrip bench - 3sets x 8,8,8
    Reverse Grip Tricep Pushdowns - 3sets x 12,10,8 (increase weight every set)
    Torso Twist Machine - 3sets x 15,15,15
    Leg Lifts - 3sets x 20 (or to failure)
    *Medicine Ball situps - 3sets x 50,50,50
    OR
    *decline situps - 3sets x 30,30,30
    Take an hour to work on dribbling, triple threat stance, jab steps, layups, etc.

Wednesday: BACK
    Pullups - 4sets x 15,13,11,9 (or to failure)
    Deadlifts - 5sets x 10,8,6,4
    Lat Pulldowns - 4sets x 10,10,10,8
    Lawnmowers - 4sets x 8,8,8,8
    Back extensions - 4sets x 10,10,10,10 (use weight plate or more reps)
    Side Bends with 45 plate - 3sets x 30,30,30
    10 Updowns (300 yard sprint) on full length court
    3 x 2 consecutive suicides (3 minutes rest)

Thursday: LEGS
    60 minutes of shooting drills, dribbling, sprinting
    10 minutes of dynamic stretching
    Squats - 5sets x 15,12,10,8,6
    Lunges - 4sets x 10,10,10,10
    Calf raises - 4sets x 15,12,12,10
    Leg Extensions - 3sets x 10,8,6
    Leg Curls - 3sets x 10,8,6
    Leg Press - 4sets x 10,8,6,4
    Torso Twist Machine - 3sets x 15,15,15
    Leg Lifts - 3sets x 20 (or to failure)
    *Medicine Ball situps - 3sets x 50,50,50
    OR
    *decline situps - 3sets x 30,30,30

Friday: SHOULDERS
    60 minutes of shooting drills, dribbling, sprinting
    10 minutes of dynamic stretching
    Barbell Upright Row - 5sets x 5,5,5,5,5
    Seated Shoulder Press - 4sets x 10,10,10,10
    Barbell Shrugs - 4sets x 10,8,6,4
    Lateral Raises - 4sets x 12,12,12,12
    3 x 1 suicide (shoot 10 freethrows after each suicide)

You want to take no more than 90 second rests between sets to maintain workout intensity and to achieve muscle tear/failure sooner. Muscle tear is good. I prefer to do more conditioning early in the week and more basketball practice towards the end because my leagues usually play out on the weekends. Don't forget a healthy diet is highly recommended, and you should be consuming 1G Protein for every pound you weigh. So if you weigh 160lbs you should be consuming 160G of protein per day. If you need help forming a diet regiment to follow I can provide that as well.

I have a little question tho, and it's not worth of making a new thread. Do you guys think it would do damage to go ball on plyometric off-days (so days when I don't do my plyos?)

this is what i did yesterday evening:
    4*15 Weighted (dumbbell of 4 kg) Squats
    4*25 Toe Raises

Quote Originally Posted by Suprageex
    I have a little question tho, and it's not worth of making a new thread. Do you guys think it would do damage to go ball on plyometric off-days (so days when I don't do my plyos?)

this is what i did yesterday evening:
    4*15 Weighted (dumbbell of 4 kg) Squats
    4*25 Toe Raises
    nah, but you might not be able to jump as high for a while cuz your legs will be shot. once they acclimate to the program you'll be fine. you're not doing a lot of plyo day by day anyway so you wont notice it as much. I did air alert 2 3x a week and the days in between my body was not 100% to play full speed, but on the weekends i was good

Quote Originally Posted by Automajic23
    nah, but you might not be able to jump as high for a while cuz your legs will be shot. once they acclimate to the program you'll be fine. you're not doing a lot of plyo day by day anyway so you wont notice it as much. I did air alert 2 3x a week and the days in between my body was not 100% to play full speed, but on the weekends i was good
    How much inch would I gain you think, doing these exercises the whole summer?

How much inch would I gain you think, doing these exercises the whole summer?
    if you up it to 4-5 exercises a day at a high intensity, for say 6 weeks minimum, you should get btw 4-8 inches gain. I went from not being able to grab rim to dunking off of 1 foot on my best day. On the regular I can grab the rim easy, off 1 or 2 feet. I'd say I get almost my whole palm above the rim? Before that I couldn't even tip it with my fingers. So at least 4 inch gain for me.

The thing about intense plyo, is that you keep increasing your reps every week and if you are not in very strong physical condition, you may not be able to complete the program (if it's 12-13 weeks etc). I stopped @ week 6 because I didn't feel my body was strong enough to handle it, and didn't want to end up getting shin splints or messed up knees/ankles. It's been a year now and I'm sure I am much stronger but I haven't had time to start it up again due to basketball leagues etc. My vertical has pretty much stayed up there though. It's declined slightly but I can still play defense above the rim. I would recommend doing what your doing; the mix of plyo and weight training sounds good.

Just so you can get the general idea of physical stature I am in, and how competitively I can play based on my current athleticism, I'll give you a little description.

I am a nightmare in pick up games with the average joes. I can blow by the bigger guys and pull up on them. I can post up shorter guys. Then I can finish and bang on most people under the rim. Defense is easy. I get tons of fast breaks.

When I play with people at my skill level or slightly greater, I would say I don't dominate as much, but I can still get off jumpers, post up. I'll frequent have more problems beating my man 1on1 from the wing, so I will play more team ball and move more off the ball to score. I can still lock up most players, except the athletic freaks but even them I can give fits. I can still break but the defenders are usually close by to meet me.

When I run @ my old college (Drexel), I usually try to run with a couple of my friends, some play for the practice team others play JV, and the girls V team plays with us sometimes. These guys/girls are GOOD. I can get off jumpers and outplay the girls, but I struggle bad to score buckets against the guys. Even when I get open or in between seems they seem to still meet me as I get the ball and get tips off my shot when they are deceivingly far away. On defense I have to give my all, because if I don't they will blow by me and throw it down. I do not get fast breaks and if I do they catch up down the floor at a very high rate.

So basically I am a rec league monster, and a very mediocre player at best when playing with D1/college ready ballers. Hopefully all the running I get to do with them further increases the type of mentality and hustle along with skill I need to put on the floor everyday to improve me more.

Hopefully knowing this helps you assess how much my workouts will improve you. GL.

if you up it to 4-5 exercises a day at a high intensity, for say 6 weeks minimum, you should get btw 4-8 inches gain. I went from not being able to grab rim to dunking off of 1 foot on my best day. On the regular I can grab the rim easy, off 1 or 2 feet. I'd say I get almost my whole palm above the rim? Before that I couldn't even tip it with my fingers. So at least 4 inch gain for me.

The thing about intense plyo, is that you keep increasing your reps every week and if you are not in very strong physical condition, you may not be able to complete the program (if it's 12-13 weeks etc). I stopped @ week 6 because I didn't feel my body was strong enough to handle it, and didn't want to end up getting shin splints or messed up knees/ankles. It's been a year now and I'm sure I am much stronger but I haven't had time to start it up again due to basketball leagues etc. My vertical has pretty much stayed up there though. It's declined slightly but I can still play defense above the rim. I would recommend doing what your doing; the mix of plyo and weight training sounds good.
    So plyos EVERY DAY?

btw repped you for your help! I really appreciate it!
    Last edited by Suprageex; 07-22-2009 at 01:15 PM.

So plyos EVERY DAY?

btw repped you for your help! I really appreciate it!
    Err not every day, every other day or 3x a week.

You could do:
    MON-WED-FRI

Or TUE-WED-THUR

The most important thing which I think you already know is eating well, and REST. After plyo workouts, you want at least 24 hours of rest for your legs to heal. 48 hrs is optimal if you are doing plyo in between basketball season

Example: You do plyo on monday. If you did 4-5 plyo workouts at a high intensity, I can guarantee you will not be able to run ball 100% on tuesday. By wednesday you should be good though once your muscles get used to the program.

Err not every day, every other day or 3x a week.

You could do:
    MON-WED-FRI

Or TUE-WED-THUR

The most important thing which I think you already know is eating well, and REST. After plyo workouts, you want at least 24 hours of rest for your legs to heal. 48 hrs is optimal if you are doing plyo in between basketball season

Example: You do plyo on monday. If you did 4-5 plyo workouts at a high intensity, I can guarantee you will not be able to run ball 100% on tuesday. By wednesday you should be good though once your muscles get used to the program.
    So, I looked to your program, and I can't quite use much of your Leg Exercises, since I try to do everything @ home, but one thing got my attention; Is it me or are toe raises and calf raises the same, but with calf raises you use a stair or something?

So, I looked to your program, and I can't quite use much of your Leg Exercises, since I try to do everything @ home, but one thing got my attention; Is it me or are toe raises and calf raises the same, but with calf raises you use a stair or something?
    A stair/stool, something so that when you go down on each rep your feet are at a decline angle with the surface your toes are on. It puts more weight and pressure on your calves going down, plus gives you more range of motion to work with given your feet are < 0 degrees angle. (When you are standing flatfooted your foot/toe is at 0 degrees with the floor).

I was wondering is it necessary to split the chest/back/arm days or can't you just put them in one?

Quote Originally Posted by MannyO
    I was wondering is it necessary to split the chest/back/arm days or can't you just put them in one?
    You can put them into one. It's always about the argument over should I work them in one day because chest kind of goes with arms and shoulders kind of go with back (example: bench pressing works your triceps to a degree, so does dips) or pullups work your back and your biceps based on your grip. I prefer to focus on one muscle group a day to make sure each muscle group is worked out to exhaustion and is fully focused on. It's just preference really, there is no wrong choice. IMO if you do chest and arms in one day, whichever muscle group you focus on first, you might not be able to give the next muscle 100%

You can put them into one. It's always about the argument over should I work them in one day because chest kind of goes with arms and shoulders kind of go with back (example: bench pressing works your triceps to a degree, so does dips) or pullups work your back and your biceps based on your grip. I prefer to focus on one muscle group a day to make sure each muscle group is worked out to exhaustion and is fully focused on. It's just preference really, there is no wrong choice. IMO if you do chest and arms in one day, whichever muscle group you focus on first, you might not be able to give the next muscle 100%

yea working the individual helps get the most out of them. But being that I don't have much equipment at home I just superset pushups and pullups then get some situps done. I also do football workouts on certain days so that helps too.

If you need help forming a diet regiment to follow I can provide that as well.
    can you help me with my diet in order to consume 145 proteins. It seems almost impossible for someone like me.
    Last edited by MannyO; 07-23-2009 at 12:07 PM.