Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: 6'7 Wade or 6'8 Barkley

Barkley was simply one-of-a-kind. To win a rebounding title, at 6-5, as well as well as average 23 ppg on .594 shooting was just incredible.

As a sidenote, one of the greatest "post-up" players of all-time, was also only 6-5. Adrian Dantley seldom shot from more than 15 ft., and yet put together several seasons of 30 ppg and on FG%'s as high as .580.

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    Someone reopen the dumbest things posted on ISH thread we have a new contestant.
    There not undersized length is more important than height and both of them have very good length.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    There aren't many players I know of at ~ that height that played PF but I can name 2. One of them was sort of "elite" (or nearly so). Post-knee-injury Elgin Baylor in the late 60's after the Lakers traded Rudy LaRusso - Elgin (6-5 w/o shoes) slid to the 4 and Tommy Hawkins (6-4.5 w/o shoes) slid to the 3. Baylor still put up his typical all-star level numbers despite being at the 4. At that time, they were not as relatively good as Barkleys numbers, but still, Baylor was all-star level while playing at 4. The other guy I know of is http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jason-Maxiell-419/. 6-5 is definitely small for a PF. You gotta be very strong, long or clever, or bulky or something to offset being 6-5 to play a PF in the NBA. Baylor at 236lbs was as heavy as most PF's in the 60's, and Maxiell and Barkley are obviously even bigger yet, and look at Maxiells wingspan - I wonder if Barkleys was long like that too.

*EDIT* Another one would be Gus Johnson, he was the best defensive forward of his time, and a perennial All-star as well. Still I agree, 6-5 is short for any PF.
    God I love how much you know about the NBA's history did not know Elgin was that small. Always saw him as 6' 7" when I imagined him playing for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    God I love how much you know about the NBA's history did not know Elgin was that small. Always saw him as 6' 7" when I imagined him playing for whatever reason.
    Baylor was always listed at 6-5. Unlike so many of the "modern" players, who were much shorter than their "listed" heights.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

[B]Elgin was a SF NOT a PF. He Did Not Play The Post Like Charles Did.

Here is a Video of 6

[QUOTE=Round Mound][B]Elgin was a SF NOT a PF. He Did Not Play The Post Like Charles Did.

Here is a Video of 6

[QUOTE=Round Mound][B]Elgin was a SF NOT a PF. He Did Not Play The Post Like Charles Did.

Here is a Video of 6
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 05-18-2013 at 12:44 PM.

would this 6'7" Dwade have a 7'3" wingspan? Because he's already dealing with a longer wingspan than most 6'7" guys.

6'8" chuck is putting up 15+ rpg for 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    would this 6'7" Dwade have a 7'3" wingspan? Because he's already dealing with a longer wingspan than most 6'7" guys.

6'8" chuck is putting up 15+ rpg for 10 years
    If Wade went from 6-3.75 w/o shoes to 6-7 w/o shoes (a ~4.3% increase in height) than he would have a 7 foot 1.75 inch wingspan (4.3% more lengh than his 6-10.25 wingspan). Using cube law for 3 dimensional objects, his body mass (assuming he is at his typical 230lbs at his current height) would baloon up to 259.67lbs. He'd basically rival Lebron as a physical specimen.

All these things would apply to Barkley too. Barkley had an impressive wingspan as well. I don't know any meaurements of it but you can see on film the guy had long arms. His body mass would be in Shaq territory. His weight at 6-4.75 was 250-286lbs. At 6-8 (a height increase of 4.2%) his body mass using the cube law would then range from 282lbs-322lbs.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 05-18-2013 at 01:18 PM.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore TheTenth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Barkley was simply one-of-a-kind. To win a rebounding title, at 6-5, as well as well as average 23 ppg on .594 shooting was just incredible.

As a sidenote, one of the greatest "post-up" players of all-time, was also only 6-5. Adrian Dantley seldom shot from more than 15 ft., and yet put together several seasons of 30 ppg and on FG%'s as high as .580.
    Dantley is another one of the underrated legends. Do you know of any useful books/websites to learn about him?