Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Things I learned reading "The Jordan Rules" by Sam Smith

- MJ, Horace Grant, & Pippen all got their baby sons naked to see which one had the biggest p.enis, Pippen's son had the biggest.

- I knew Jerry Krause liked Kukoc, but this book revealed he had a crazy obsession with Kukoc that went too far. Funny stuff.

- Bulls were going after Danny Ainge during the 1990 offseason because he was one of the few guards in the league who would tell Jordan to Fvck off when he demanded the ball. Ainge would have been the Robert Horry of his era if Chicago signed him.

- I like Craig Hodges' political views.

- The '91 Bulls were a team full of egocentric babies, EVERYONE on the bench (excluding Hodges) thought they should be starting or getting more playing time.

- Gained alot of respect for Bill Cartwright, he was intelligent, hard worker, & everyone on the team went to him when they had problems.

Good book overall, I recommend it to those who haven't read it.

Default Re: Things I learned reading "The Jordan Rules" by Sam Smith

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    - MJ, Horace Grant, & Pippen all got their baby sons naked to see which one had the biggest p.enis, Pippen's son had the biggest.
    Uh Child protective services.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Uh Child protective services.
    My reaction when I was reading that in the book:

Irrational Jordan superfan StarJordan's Avatar

I like hangtime with bob greene more...

I think I might be picking up this book. Its on Amazon for pretty cheap
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...e+jordan+rules

National High School Star sick_brah07's Avatar

great book, changed my opinion on jordan quite a bit, "the last shot: city streets" is a great read to... changews

Winning>Stats

They didn't get their kids naked in front of each other, they just discussed it. Although thats not much better............

- Bulls were going after Danny Ainge during the 1990 offseason because he was one of the few guards in the league who would tell Jordan to Fvck off when he demanded the ball. Ainge would have been the Robert Horry of his era if Chicago signed him.

- Gained alot of respect for Bill Cartwright, he was intelligent, hard worker, & everyone on the team went to him when they had problems.
    Did they explain why they wanted that quality in a guard? When would Ainge have had the opportunity to show them that? All star game?

So what's up with Hodges? I'm guessing he went for Perot.

I think Bill Cartwright is underrated. Solid big man for many years in the league.

5-time NBA All-Star

Wasn't he kicked out of the league for them? Or Jordan pretty much got him out of the league because he put Jordan's lack of polical stance on David Duke out there. I recall him being allowed to participate in the 3 point contest that year but for whatever reasons couldn't play during the year. It was very weird. What did Jordan say about his political views?

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

Hodges had won the 3 point contest the year before, so he HAd to be invited back.......but he wasn't on any roster

when you see how long accurate sharpshooters can stay in the league well past their physical primes, it's clear that hodges was being blackballed.

When the champion bulls visited the white house..Hodges was rumored to either have spoken up to Bush about some issues or handed him sheet of paper with those issues outlined.

Quote Originally Posted by Horatio33
    They didn't get their kids naked in front of each other, they just discussed it. Although thats not much better............
    That's impossible, if they weren't all naked at the same time, how did they come to tow conclusion Pippen's was bigger?

Sick men.

Decent college freshman Vragrant's Avatar

Horace Grant reportedly played a big part in the book, as far as players go he was the main one who Sam Smith dealt with.

That being said, I recommend it its a good read whether your a Jordan fan or a Jordan hater.

I was reading one of Smiths' later books and he said in the prologue that one day Jordan walked by him (after Jordan Rules was published) looked him in the eye and said, "Your'e a fu*king @sshole"
    Last edited by Vragrant; 07-25-2011 at 11:32 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

Love the book. It's hardly a tear-down of MJ as it's viewed as, because Sam gives us the good and bad of every player on the team. Even the front office. In fact, MJ comes off looking better than most. More importantly, there's nothing really mean-spirited about Smith's work here. He's a beat reporter who basically tells us what happened, and it's a hell of an entertaining read. Very funny too.

The biggest misconception about the book is that it's about Jordan, when it's really about the 90-91 Chicago Bulls. The book's title, obviously, was purely for monetary purposes, because it's as much about MJ as it's about Pippen, Phil, Horace or even Krause. It's basically an inside look at the Bulls franchise for their first championship season.

On an interesting side note, the only person in the book who's NEVER shown in a bad light is Phil Jackson. He's the clear-cut hero of Sam's story for bringing a dysfunctional team together for the '91 championship. Word also came out later that aside from Horace Grant and Johnny Bach(defensive coach), Phil was the guy who gave Sam the most behind-the-scenes info/dirt.

one2
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Jordan Rules is a good read whether you are an MJ hater or MJ fan.

another book worth looking into is Playing for Keeps by David Halberstam. It is similar to Jordan Rules and even mentions Jordan Rules itself.

It seems to paint the players in a somewhat more positive view. Even Jordan's egging on his teammates to make moo sounds whenever Jerry Krause would walk in the locker room.

Also jerry Krause is obsessed at the injustice in the way he was portrayed (slovenly etc...) in jordan rules.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    Hodges had won the 3 point contest the year before, so he HAd to be invited back.......but he wasn't on any roster

when you see how long accurate sharpshooters can stay in the league well past their physical primes, it's clear that hodges was being blackballed.

When the champion bulls visited the white house..Hodges was rumored to either have spoken up to Bush about some issues or handed him sheet of paper with those issues outlined.
    Thanks, I could never connect the dots on that one.