Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Sometimes I Wish I Could Teleport to the 50's / 60's

Sometimes I Wish I Could Teleport to the 1850's, so I would be the inventor of basketball, and that's modern basketball, not the primitive basketball that this scrub Naismith invented. Not to mention what I would do if I teleported to ancient years and taught people relativity, replacing old fart Einstein. Oh, how much has humanity missed...

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge

Yeah look at that contact. It was so hard that it had a delayed action.

So you cherry picked to prove what? That the players today flop? How does that mean that the game is not tougher? Laimbeer was a known flopper and so was Malone. Does that make them soft?

Just look at all the hip checking and chest and shoulder bumping that's being allowed today. Look at the amount of moving screens and contact the screeners take when they are setting screens. Look at how charging and blocking are called in the 50's and 60's games. The rules allow more physical game.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by iznogood
    So you cherry picked to prove what? That the players today flop? How does that mean that the game is not tougher? Laimbeer was a known flopper and so was Malone. Does that make them soft?

Just look at all the hip checking and chest and shoulder bumping that's being allowed today. Look at the amount of moving screens and contact the screeners take when they are setting screens. Look at how charging and blocking are called in the 50's and 60's games. The rules allow more physical game.
    Yeah that hand checking and illegal zone rules currently make more contact inevitable.Plus Malone and Lambeer were studs in the '60's and '50's.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaadverse
    Yeah that hand checking and illegal zone rules currently make more contact inevitable.Plus Malone and Lambeer were studs in the '60's and '50's.
    Are you kidding me? Even without hand checking, the perimeter defense today is FAR tougher than it was in the 50's and the 60's. And let's not even start to discuss the fact that the hand checking is very rarely called today and almost never in the playoffs. The the players still hand check all the time.

The amount of contact allowed when defending players off the ball can't even compare. Either in the post or when defenders are chasing their men around screens.

I only brought up Malone and Laimbeer up because senelcoolidge used gifs of flopping to show that the basketball today is softer, which is completely wrong. These two are not even related. The players do not flop because they're not tough, they flop because they are trying to take advantage of the rules. If anything, it is a flaw of character, not a showcase of how tough someone is.
    Last edited by iznogood; 09-26-2015 at 05:30 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Some random kid in 2065 is saying he wishes he could time travel to 2015 for the same reason.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Some random kid in 2065 is saying he wishes he could time travel to 2015 for the same reason.

In 2065 this will be the all time scoring leader in NBA history. It will be a totally different game, not a weak era like 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by iznogood
    Are you kidding me? Even without hand checking, the perimeter defense today is FAR tougher than it was in the 50's and the 60's. And let's not even start to discuss the fact that the hand checking is very rarely called today and almost never in the playoffs. The the players still hand check all the time.

The amount of contact allowed when defending players off the ball can't even compare. Either in the post or when defenders are chasing their men around screens.

I only brought up Malone and Laimbeer up because senelcoolidge used gifs of flopping to show that the basketball today is softer, which is completely wrong. These two are not even related. The players do not flop because they're not tough, they foul because they are trying to take advantage of the rules. If anything, it is a flaw of character, not a showcase of how tough someone is.
    I started following and attending games in the mid '70's. I'm not going to debate if the game is better now from a purely aesthetic point or not, although I do think it is. But they changed the rules in the '90's to allow greater offensive flow for a reason. The game is less physical and far more perimeter oriented now. Stretch 4s. Fewer Bigs hammering people in the paint. 3 point shots. The game is less physical. I never watched in the '50's or much in the ''60's, but I can tell you it's much less physical than even the late '80's and early '90's'

I started following and attending games in the mid '70's. I'm not going to debate if the game is better now from a purely aesthetic point or not, although I do think it is. But they changed the rules in the '90's to allow greater offensive flow for a reason. The game is less physical and far more perimeter oriented now. Stretch 4s. Fewer Bigs hammering people in the paint. 3 point shots. The game is less physical. I never watched in the '50's or much in the ''60's, but I can tell you it's much less physical than even the late '80's and early '90's'

they changed the rules because defenses caught up in sophisication with the 80s offenses numbnuts. Instead of defenders being overly physical with hand checking you have offenses being overly physical with a billion illegal screens , which allow MUCH more contact.

old timer you better start looking for a place in retirement home with senility approaching. god bless.

If i went back in time with you, we'd basically be the wil and russel of that time but actually good

So you're saying I was right when I said the basketball today is more physical than the basketball of the 50's and the 60's. What was the point of your first post anyway?

Just for the record, I don't agree completely with you when you're comparing basketball of the 80's and 90's to the basketball we're seeing today. What you're saying about the centers hammering people in the paint is true, but it was still considered a foul back then. The game was dirtier, but not more physical. The game off the ball today is arguably the most physical ever. I think you should look at specific parts of the game. Compare the amount of contact created when people defend off the ball screens or even when defend the pick and rolls. Look at how often the offensive players lower their shoulder and try to go through their defender without being called for a foul. Notice all the hip checking the defensive players are allowed to use to hold their ground. Notice the amount of bumping allowed when players box out. The game today is insanely physical.

Decent college freshman

Lol the infancy of basketball

Quote Originally Posted by swagga

they changed the rules because defenses caught up in sophisication with the 80s offenses numbnuts. Instead of defenders being overly physical with hand checking you have offenses being overly physical with a billion illegal screens , which allow MUCH more contact.

old timer you better start looking for a place in retirement home with senility approaching. god bless.
    I'm 57. Far from Senility. Enjoy your YouTube reality. You have absolutely no real experience with the shit that runs out of your mouth.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

You would be called for a travel probably every time you tried to dribble because you are so used to these lax rules in that regard. You'd ride the pine.

NBA All-star

can't say I know exactly what were the thoughts of Bill Russell on the ABA, just as much as the other historians fair share of point of view I suppose.

did I just say that ABA? if basketball wasn't a team sport and an individual sport

and athletes who's record now would be the best back then and only second/third place now.

if you want to take the risk of drowning in sorrow....

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

The NBA doesn't even call travels anymore, it's a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcWn7edyi_k