Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Witcher 3 Announced for 2014! (likely to be on next gen consoles)

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    How much GB will this take up on the PS4? Should be huge.
    Cant be any bigger then 50 gigs. That's how big blu rays are. Unless its released on multiple discs.

Banned

God, I'm surprised this isn't being talked about more on here. Reached page four of a fairly inactive forum, yet is being hyped as the best game of 2015 over games like Uncharted 4 and MGS V on some sites.

I wish I had a 360 or high-end PC to play at least The Witcher 2. I know the general story from just YouTube recaps and the backstory of characters like Yennefer and Ciri, but I really want to play it anyway.

I'll be getting this day-one. My PS4 hasn't been touched since November/December, so it is much-needed along with Bloodborne, which is gaining a lot of anticipation too. So awesome that Ciri will be a playable character for parts of the game, adds a lot to a game that may have been a GOAT anyway.

May 19 can't come soon enough.

I'm just playing Witcher II for the first time now after it was free for Gold users on Xbox 360. Without having played the first one, I love the story and combat is hella challenging/fun. Very excited for this game now.

This game looks DOPE AS FUHH, check out the new gamespot video series on it.

Banned

10/10 on Gamestop.

9.3/10 on IGN.

92 so far on Metacritic.

National High School Star

Seems like it will be game of the year. I usually have a rule where I wait a year or so before playing a game so I can buy it witl all the dlcs and extras that they keeping throwing in (usually the game of the year edition or whatever). But I've been waiting for this game for a long time and I might just break that rule.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Conan Loved it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfjLRuE1CLw

As awesome as I'm sure this is, I just don't think I have the heart to devote to a game of this volume anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    Cant be any bigger then 50 gigs. That's how big blu rays are. Unless its released on multiple discs.
    Could be bigger actually. There's multi-layer discs that add more space to the disc (I think the highest right now is triple layer), or they add a day one patch of whatever the **** they want that didn't make the game. Master Chief Collection had to do that.

Still very early, but this is like a fantasy rpg Red Dead Redemption.

Banned

picked up my copy on my lunch break. Will play some tonight but I've currently got a football manager addiction so it'll need to be good to pull me away from that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fsvr54
    Still very early, but this is like a fantasy rpg Red Dead Redemption.
    I've been hearing that comparison by others who have it. Skyrim in gameplay, RDR in vibe and plot, GoT in lore. Sounds like an interesting mix to say the least.

Anyone else got this? Might pick it up Friday considering I'll be off for summer break starting then. Also, my PS4 has been collecting dust for probably about half a year by now. Bloodborne was a personal disappointment. Just not my type of game.

Banned

Played about an hour last night. It's alright. Not as amazing as the hype had me believe. Some of the animation is less than perfect, the controls (on console) feel a bit off to me but I'll probably get used to it and the inventory/loot system seems lazily ported from PC. Not enough for a real judgement and I still enjoyed what I played (and will enjoy it more once I learn the systems and controls properly) but it didn't' blow me away instantly.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    Played about an hour last night. It's alright. Not as amazing as the hype had me believe. Some of the animation is less than perfect, the controls (on console) feel a bit off to me but I'll probably get used to it and the inventory/loot system seems lazily ported from PC. Not enough for a real judgement and I still enjoyed what I played (and will enjoy it more once I learn the systems and controls properly) but it didn't' blow me away instantly.
    Gonna try and keep this spoiler free.

I've given the game a bit longer before passing any real judgement, but here are my thoughts so far. (Playing on PS4, also i think it's worth noting that i'm playing this straight after Bloodborne)

The animation is no Shadow of Mordor, but it is far better then say Skyrim. It's like a halfway between the 2. I love when limbs get chopped off and heads get decapitated.

The menu inventory system looks and feels basic, like their is crafting and alchemy, basically, it get's the job done while looking very plain. A little larger text would be appreciated too.

Controls at first felt sluggish and a tad heavy, i'm getting used to them though and now i really don't mind them at all. Certainly not as tight and responsive as Bloodborne.
    Some little things annoy me, the biggest annoyance is that you need to get too close to an enemy to go into combat mode (to be able to parry) so if an archer is really far away, you can't parry the bolts until you get close.
    Also since you need to be so close, a lot of enemies rush you leaving you defenseless for the first hit. Combine that with a non-regenerating health system, makes me use a lot of food/water.
    (If there is a way to get into the combat stance much earlier, please let me know.)

The world seems great so far, having only been in the first area, and the enemy variety is great, i especially loved the fights I've had with the [COLOR="White"]Griffin & Bear[/COLOR]. Planning attacks, dodging at the right time & managing stamina feel good, i love dodging an attack, then unleashing a fast combo with the sword followed by a blast of the fire magic. Feels & looks really nice and powerful. There is a hell of a lot of different loot too, clothes/armour all change appearance which is a nice touch.

I also find myself just admiring the character animation during conversations, they've put some great detail into expressions and also some great development into side quest characters. It really makes you feel for the person in question. I especially found this to be the case [COLOR="White"]with the Devil in the well & with the Hunter whom you hunt the dogs with[/COLOR].

In conclusion, I am loving the Witcher 3 so far and really looking to get further into it, i still rate Bloodborne a little higher in my GOTY list, but i wouldn't be surprised if Witcher 3 overtakes it.

TL;DR - Witcher 3 is good so far, could be great given more time.

Yeah the movement is a bit wonky, but exactly what you expect if you played the first two games. You get used to the combat, but in general it's just not as intuitive as it could be. Looting and picking herbs is crazy finicky too.

Game isn't flawless, but it's simply amazing. The world, characters, loot, features. It's all so complete. I'm not even particularly enthralled by the Witcher universe and the story, but damn if I don't respect the craftsmanship that goes into these games. Already poured 6 hours into this since I got it yesterday evening. I don't have this kind of free time to spend. Strong GOTY contender this one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ai2death
    Gonna try and keep this spoiler free.

I've given the game a bit longer before passing any real judgement, but here are my thoughts so far. (Playing on PS4, also i think it's worth noting that i'm playing this straight after Bloodborne)

The animation is no Shadow of Mordor, but it is far better then say Skyrim. It's like a halfway between the 2. I love when limbs get chopped off and heads get decapitated.

The menu inventory system looks and feels basic, like their is crafting and alchemy, basically, it get's the job done while looking very plain. A little larger text would be appreciated too.

Controls at first felt sluggish and a tad heavy, i'm getting used to them though and now i really don't mind them at all. Certainly not as tight and responsive as Bloodborne.
    Some little things annoy me, the biggest annoyance is that you need to get too close to an enemy to go into combat mode (to be able to parry) so if an archer is really far away, you can't parry the bolts until you get close.
    Also since you need to be so close, a lot of enemies rush you leaving you defenseless for the first hit. Combine that with a non-regenerating health system, makes me use a lot of food/water.
    (If there is a way to get into the combat stance much earlier, please let me know.)

The world seems great so far, having only been in the first area, and the enemy variety is great, i especially loved the fights I've had with the . Planning attacks, dodging at the right time & managing stamina feel good, i love dodging an attack, then unleashing a fast combo with the sword followed by a blast of the fire magic. Feels & looks really nice and powerful. There is a hell of a lot of different loot too, clothes/armour all change appearance which is a nice touch.

I also find myself just admiring the character animation during conversations, they've put some great detail into expressions and also some great development into side quest characters. It really makes you feel for the person in question. I especially found this to be the case .

In conclusion, I am loving the Witcher 3 so far and really looking to get further into it, i still rate Bloodborne a little higher in my GOTY list, but i wouldn't be surprised if Witcher 3 overtakes it.

TL;DR - Witcher 3 is good so far, could be great given more time.
    I've put in maybe another hour, mainly on side quests. Still enjoying it and I still think it's going to be great but it didn't pack the same initial punch as some other games like bloodborne did (although that got repetitive fast for me). I do like the investigation slant it has though on side quests, one guy tells me a vague rumour and it's up to me to go investigate with the witcher sense and find out what monster is there and how to defeat it. They are patching the text sizes too which will help the inventory out on console. I'm getting the hang of combat more too, at first I was trying to be too reactionary like in bloodborne but I'm finding in the witcher it helps to be a bit slower as the animations are more sluggish and drawn out, less twitchy game play than what I've played recently.