Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Your top 5 most skilled players ever (only scoring/passing/ball-handling)?

Who comes to mind?

For the purpose of this thread, ignore rebounding and defense.

Preferably you'd want a guy who can score in a variety of ways (shooting/driving/posting up), but I don't want to limit the conversation too much.

Default Re: Your top 5 most skilled players ever (only scoring/passing/ball-handling)?

Bird
    CP3
    Dirk
    Kobe

dunno bout last spot..........

Manu
    Nash(since we ignoring defense otherwise he wouldnt be top 10)
    MJ
    Price
    Stockton
    Penny

can all go. not including defense and rebounding means big men dont get love here unless Dirk OFC

Banned

Default Re: Your top 5 most skilled players ever (only scoring/passing/ball-handling)?

Bird

LeBron

Steve Nash

Hakeem

Jordan

I have explanations for all if need be

How about the Pistol?

(No order)

Magic Johnson
    Larry Bird
    Michael Jordan
    LeBron James
    Oscar Robertson

Magic Johnson - Career 20/10 guy. Obviously a great passer and every season of his career (Except 1995-96) he was an above-average scorer.

Larry Bird - Great scorer. His career average for PPG is 24. Larry was a nice passer too. He had one season where he averaged 7.6 apg.

Michael Jordan - MJ has the best scoring career average in the history of the NBA (30.1) so he's definitely one of the most skilled scorers ever. One season of his career, Jordan averaged 8 apg. His career avg is 5.3

LeBron James - I don't like LeBron or hate him, but I gotta say he's one of the best scorers the league has ever seen. Not to mention, he's a great passer for his size. His career avg for ppg and apg is 27.5/7

Oscar Robertson - He's easily one of the best all-around players ever. He's the only player in history to average a triple-double for a whole season (30/10/10). Obviously the guy was a tremendous scorer and passer. He had 6 seasons where he averaged 30+ ppg and 5 seasons where he put up 10+ apg.

Another Thing: If Kevin Durant continues to play great, he can easily finish as one of the most skilled players ever. He already is IMO, but I'm talking about Top 10 potential.
    Last edited by Smook A.; 09-01-2014 at 11:13 PM.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

lebron bird mj curry kobe

Quote Originally Posted by Smook A.
    (No order)

Magic Johnson
    Larry Bird
    Michael Jordan
    LeBron James
    Oscar Robertson

Magic Johnson - Career 20/10 guy. Obviously a great passer and every season of his career (Except 1995-96) he was an above-average scorer.

Larry Bird - Great scorer. His career average for PPG is 24. Larry was a nice passer too. He had one season where he averaged 7.6 apg.

Michael Jordan - MJ has the best scoring career average in the history of the NBA (30.1) so he's definitely one of the most skilled scorers ever. One season of his career, Jordan averaged 8 apg. His career avg is 5.3

LeBron James - I don't like LeBron or hate him, but I gotta say he's one of the best scorers the league has ever seen. Not to mention, he's a great passer for his size. His career avg for ppg and apg is 27.5/7

Oscar Robertson - He's easily one of the best all-around players ever. He's the only player in history to average a triple-double for a whole season (30/10/10). Obviously the guy was a tremendous scorer and passer. He had 6 seasons where he averaged 30+ ppg and 5 seasons where he put up 10+ apg.

Another Thing - If Kevin Durant continues the type of MVP season he had, he can easily finish as one of the most skilled players ever.
    Magic was dominant b/c of his size compared to other PGs. He wasnt anywhere near as skilled as CP cmon

Lebron dominates b/c of his athleticism and power hes improved skills in Miami but hes not close to top 5. KD dominates b/c of his athleticism and length hes skilled but his ball handling still sucks and hes not that skilled passing

i didnt watch Oscar............u just lookin at stats?

Discounting rebounding and defense helps guys like Steve Nash tremendously and really hurts big men in the discussion.

So I guess counting only offensive skills like shooting stroke, range, scoring arsenal, footwork, passing/vision, ball handling, post game, awareness, etc., for me:

Bird
    Jordan
    Kobe
    Lebron
    Oscar

Guys like peak CP3 from 2007-2009, Nash, Steph Curry come to mind as well

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro CP3KDKG
    Magic was dominant b/c of his size compared to other PGs. He wasnt anywhere near as skilled as CP cmon

Lebron dominates b/c of his athleticism and power hes improved skills in Miami but hes not close to top 5. KD dominates b/c of his athleticism and length hes skilled but his ball handling still sucks and hes not that skilled passing

i didnt watch Oscar............u just lookin at stats?

No shit. I'm 24.

I've looked at stats, and highlights of him in the past.

Banned

kobe bryant
    Isiah Thomas
    Lebron James
    Oscar Robertson
    Jerry West

all these guys can score 30ppg if they want, all these guys could average 10 apg if they wanted. all these guys can run the point. all these guys HAVE run the point ( even if they were listed at another position )

i wouldnt put jordan on there. he had limited handles in the open court. pippen was the leading assist man for the bulls for all 6 titles. and mj was more of a post player allot of his career

LeBron is not super skilled, he's just super athletic. He's nowhere near a Larry Bird or Oscar Robertson.

Top 5 in no order.

Larry Bird
    Oscar Robertson
    Pete Maravich
    David Thompson
    Magic Johnson

Close call is Bill Walton. This thread isn't fair to big men.

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    Discounting rebounding and defense helps guys like Steve Nash tremendously and really hurts big men in the discussion.

So I guess counting only offensive skills like shooting stroke, range, scoring arsenal, footwork, passing/vision, ball handling, post game, awareness, etc., for me:

Bird
    Jordan
    Kobe
    Lebron
    Oscar

Guys like peak CP3 from 2007-2009, Nash, Steph Curry come to mind as well
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    kobe bryant
    Isiah Thomas
    Lebron James <--------------------------
    Oscar Robertson
    Jerry West

all these guys can score 30ppg if they want, all these guys could average 10 apg if they wanted. all these guys can run the point. all these guys HAVE run the point ( even if they were listed at another position )

i wouldnt put jordan on there. he had limited handles in the open court. pippen was the leading assist man for the bulls for all 6 titles. and mj was more of a post player allot of his career
    Kenneth!? wow

5-time NBA All-Star

In the past you were expexted to post up.
    Frazier had a deep post game
    Magic
    Bird
    LeBron
    Nash

Banned

bird's handles werent good enough to run the point IMO

theres no way his simple dribbles and 6-10 frame would be able to bring the ball up the court for 40 minutes a night

hes a great passer though

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    In the past you were expexted to post up.
    Frazier had a deep post game
    Magic
    Bird
    LeBron
    Nash

magic isnt anywhere close to being an all around scorer.

nash isnt a great scorer. he shoots lights out cause he only shoots wide open.
    Last edited by kennethgriffin; 09-01-2014 at 11:27 PM.