Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops


Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2019, 10:54 AM   #1
AirBonner
Thank you, next
 
AirBonner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 11,354
Arrow NBA Throwback: March 31 1991 Lewis had MJ seeing ghosts

In that March 31 game, as Jordan pulled up for his patented fallaway -- one of the most feared weapons in basketball -- Lewis waited patiently for MJ to launch himself, then stretched his arms and timed it so he deflected the ball just as Jordan released.

The block surprised Jordan, whose otherworldly elevation usually negated any chance of a rejected shot.

Most players weren't athletic enough to literally "hang" with Jordan. Lewis was one of the exceptions.

"He was a tough matchup," Jordan said. "He had those long arms that really bothered me.

"I was trying to be aggressive with him. I was trying to take advantage of his passive demeanor, but he didn't back down. He never relinquished his own aggressiveness.

"He shocked me a little bit."

MJ dismissed Reggie's initial block as an anomaly. When it happened again, this time on a pull-up jumper, Jordan became irked.
The next time, he became concerned. And by the fourth time, on a lefty drive to the hoop, Jordan was irritated -- and somewhat spooked.
AirBonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:59 AM   #2
Haymaker
NBA Finals MVP
 
Haymaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,521
Default Re: NBA Throwback: March 31 1991 Lewis had MJ seeing ghosts

There's a video on Youtube about those blocks. Reggie was pretty good, had length and great timing but MJ figured him out eventually and proceeded to toy with him from thereon.
Haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:37 AM   #3
juju151111
NBA All-star
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9,296
Default Re: NBA Throwback: March 31 1991 Lewis had MJ seeing ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBonner
In that March 31 game, as Jordan pulled up for his patented fallaway -- one of the most feared weapons in basketball -- Lewis waited patiently for MJ to launch himself, then stretched his arms and timed it so he deflected the ball just as Jordan released.

The block surprised Jordan, whose otherworldly elevation usually negated any chance of a rejected shot.

Most players weren't athletic enough to literally "hang" with Jordan. Lewis was one of the exceptions.

"He was a tough matchup," Jordan said. "He had those long arms that really bothered me.

"I was trying to be aggressive with him. I was trying to take advantage of his passive demeanor, but he didn't back down. He never relinquished his own aggressiveness.

"He shocked me a little bit."

MJ dismissed Reggie's initial block as an anomaly. When it happened again, this time on a pull-up jumper, Jordan became irked.
The next time, he became concerned. And by the fourth time, on a lefty drive to the hoop, Jordan was irritated -- and somewhat spooked.
Didn't MJ averge like 33 ppg on 49% on him from 88-93?
juju151111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:42 AM   #4
DoctorP
master...not teacher
 
DoctorP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,614
Default Re: NBA Throwback: March 31 1991 Lewis had MJ seeing ghosts

Yup, then Jordan had him "taken care of"

R.I.P


DoctorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:59 AM   #5
Vino24
Consensus, Cemented
 
Vino24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Top 3
Posts: 4,119
Default Re: NBA Throwback: March 31 1991 Lewis had MJ seeing ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorP
Yup, then Jordan had him "taken care of"

R.I.P





Rip
Vino24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:03 AM   #6
OldSchoolBBall
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,122
Default Re: NBA Throwback: March 31 1991 Lewis had MJ seeing ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju151111
Didn't MJ averge like 33 ppg on 49% on him from 88-93?

35-36 ppg/53% FG, actually
OldSchoolBBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:28 AM   #7
sportjames23
GOAT
 
sportjames23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 14,065
Default Re: NBA Throwback: March 31 1991 Lewis had MJ seeing ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
35-36 ppg/53% FG, actually


So much for OP's post.
sportjames23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:34 AM   #8
MrFonzworth
Data Pagan
 
MrFonzworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Data Pagan
Posts: 10,629
Default Re: NBA Throwback: March 31 1991 Lewis had MJ seeing ghosts

Very similar to AK47 blocking my hero Kobe 4 times in one quarter. I wonder what Kobe's thoughts are on it, or if he even remembers it. His brain might have blocked out the moment for his sanity's sake.
MrFonzworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:50 AM   #9
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Xiao Yao You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Midvale, Utah, U.S.A.
Posts: 27,782
Default Re: NBA Throwback: March 31 1991 Lewis had MJ seeing ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFonzworth
Very similar to AK47 blocking my hero Kobe 4 times in one quarter. I wonder what Kobe's thoughts are on it, or if he even remembers it. His brain might have blocked out the moment for his sanity's sake.

I remember it.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #10
JBSptfn
I don't get picked last at the park anymore
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 209
Default Re: NBA Throwback: March 31 1991 Lewis had MJ seeing ghosts

That is a reason why the Celtics win the 91 title if Bird doesn't throw out his back when they started 29-5.
JBSptfn is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:




Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:26 AM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

InsideHoops.com Home

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Daily Roundup

NBA Scores

NBA Stats

NBA Videos

NBA Free Agents

Fantasy Basketball

Basketball Sneakers

Search Site

STAY CONNECTED
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy