Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why did the Sixers trade Charles Barkley to the Suns in '92

Was watching a playoff game of Barkley back in 1991 and remember how dominant the guy was which prompted me to realize why the Sixers would trade someone of his caliber in the first place a year later in the summer.

Does anyone remember exactly why did the Sixers trade Charles Barkley to the Suns in the summer of '92?

Was Barkley asking out to go elsewhere and saying once his contract was up he was going to leave? Does anyone remember?

Here was the trade details

June 17, 1992: Charles Barkley was Traded by the Philadelphia 76ers to the Phoenix Suns for Jeff Hornacek, Andrew Lang and Tim Perry

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Why did the Sixers trade Charles Barkley to the Suns in '92

He had asked out a year or two earlier I believe. He wanted out bad. Ive heard him say it was some of the best news he had ever heard.

He didnt ask to go to the Suns but he wanted out of Philly if they didnt get him help. he didnt know who he was going to till the trade happened. But he was pretty sure to go to a good team(they won like 55 the year before) because if not he would have still been trying to get out.

Allen Iverson > Charles Barkley

The more I learn about Charles the more he seems like the most over-rated player of all time. A great player wouldve willed the sixers to a conference finals like AI did. Charles is clearly not on that level and needed to ride the amazing Kevin Johnson in order to finally get deep in a postseason.

The Sixers were stuck in perpetual mediocrity at the time, winning about 35 games in Charles last season there. He had no help and management wasn't willing to spend any money to get him some. He had been bugging them for a trade for almost two years, and it had become an incredible distraction.

The Malone trade flopped, and Doc's retirement left the Sixers woefully short on talent. Despite that, Barkley played incredibbly well. Should have been MVP in 89-90; received more first place votes than Magic, but lost the overall vote. Not surprising; at that time he wasn't the media darling he became later in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Big164

The more I learn about Charles the more he seems like the most over-rated player of all time. A great player wouldve willed the sixers to a conference finals like AI did. Charles is clearly not on that level and needed to ride the amazing Kevin Johnson in order to finally get deep in a postseason.
    Based on what the fact he tried to win in philly? Because there's litteraly nothing else.

Charles was basiclly better in every aspect of the game and signifigently more efficent whiles drawing more double teams than Ai ever did

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Ride KJ to playoff success? In 93 he somewhat worked the Lakers, then literally shut the doors on the spurs arena when he made the series winner over Drob, and handed out 40 point triple doubles owning the sonics. KJ didnt even arguably play as well as barkley till 94 and 95 when they went out vs the Rockets. And Barkley put up 28/13/5 and 26/13/3 in those playoffs himself.

barkley never rode KJ anywhere. The only year they did anything Barkley is the one who took them there.

NBA rookie of the year Kurosawa0's Avatar

Not remotely.

Loose Balls: Easy Money, Hard Fouls, Cheap Laughs, and True Love in the NBA - Jayson Williams

Before signing me up, the Sixers' top guys met with me in a Midtown hotel in New York City. They heard I was fat, out of shape. They were worried about the broken foot, too. It was Harold Katz, then the owner, and Gene Shue, then the general manager. They wanted me to run up and down the hotel ballroom. They thought I might be damaged goods. I told 'em I understood their concerns, but I had a better idea. Instead of running up and down in a damn ballroom, why didn't I run up and down on a basketball court for them? I said, "We can go to a park by my house." They thought it was a great idea and we agreed to go on down there.

Harold and Gene didn't know it, but the park we were going to was down on the Lower East Side, right next to the school I went to, P.S. 137. And before we drove down there, I called the principal, and I told him what's happening.

So when we got to the park, he's let the whole school out early, and there's nine hundred kids in the park, surrounding the court, hanging on the chain-link fence, screaming and yelling and cheering, "Williams! Williams! Williams! Williams!."

And I'm running and dunking and jumping, up and down and up and down. I'm flying! It's like one of those bad made-for-TV movies. I mean, I'm two feet above the rim, scraping my elbows on metal. And the kids are screaming and Harold and Gene are happy about the whole thing. They're talking to each other.

"Holy smokes!" they're saying. "We got a steal with this guy!"

Harold and Gene spent the next two years watching me miss layups, stumble around, saying, "What the heck happened at that park? Was that an optical illusion or what?"

They told Charles Barkley they were confused, because they'd seen me playing about two feet above the rim.

Charlie says, "You seen who? Doing what? When?"

What Harold and Gene and Charlie didn't know is that the basket at that park is only nine feet high.

Sad part is Williams was playing like that for the Nets. You gotta feel for Barkley. Lost to the Bulls, then to the Rockets in back to back 7 game series.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Ride KJ to playoff success? In 93 he somewhat worked the Lakers, then literally shut the doors on the spurs arena when he made the series winner over Drob, and handed out 40 point triple doubles owning the sonics. KJ didnt even arguably play as well as barkley till 94 and 95 when they went out vs the Rockets. And Barkley put up 28/13/5 and 26/13/3 in those playoffs himself.

barkley never rode KJ anywhere. The only year they did anything Barkley is the one who took them there.
    Phoenix was a playoff team before Chuck even arrived and KJ was its leader.

KJ even made the playoffs after CHuck left the suns!

Im not saying KJ is on par with Charles but KJ is a better player than anyone Iverson had on the 76ers.

Banned

Late 80's Celtics, Pistons, Bulls, Cavs >>>>>> 2000's Pistons and an aging 2000's Pacers team. Barkley's Sixers went up against much better competition.

7-time NBA All-Star

Barkley wanted out of Philly, and he was 29 while Philly had a bad team and no real chance of building a good team while his best years were still around. Charles didn't want to be there, he was trashing teammates in the press, saying the team was bad and causing some problems off the court around that time. It made sense for both sides as Charles obviously wanted to play on a contender before his prime was over and the team finished 35-47 with Charles having the worst season of his prime.

It's a shame that the one prime season where he was on a contender, he takes them to the best record in the league with KJ missing 30+ games and not as productive as usual, takes them to the finals and then runs into the Bulls with Jordan averaging 41. He was never the same after '93 with injuries taking more away from his game and consistency, which is too bad because the '94 Suns and '95 Suns gave him more support than the '93, and certainly more than any of his Philly teams.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Barkley wanted out of Philly, and he was 29 while Philly had a bad team and no real chance of building a good team while his best years were still around. Charles didn't want to be there, he was trashing teammates in the press, saying the team was bad and causing some problems off the court around that time. It made sense for both sides as Charles obviously wanted to play on a contender before his prime was over and the team finished 35-47 with Charles having the worst season of his prime.

It's a shame that the one prime season where he was on a contender, he takes them to the best record in the league with KJ missing 30+ games and not as productive as usual, takes them to the finals and then runs into the Bulls with Jordan averaging 41. He was never the same after '93 with injuries taking more away from his game and consistency, which is too bad because the '94 Suns and '95 Suns gave him more support than the '93, and certainly more than any of his Philly teams.
    One thing I can appreciate about Barkley is the only times he lost as the favorite in a playoff series were against the two guys who were better than him. 1993 to MJ and 1995 to Hakeem.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

It doesn't help when you spit into a crowd and hit a little girl in the face like he did in march 1991. It's really kind of amusing how charles has become this lovable buffoon figure because he was fairly controversial during the prime of his career with his run ins and antics and what not. By the time he left Philly it was just a bad situation and time to move on to greener pastures.