Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    High School Varsity 6th Man moaz's Avatar

Default When a 6-4 defends a 7 footer (Dellavedova vs. Dirk)

This happens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nen2r-oGlrA

but applause to Dellavedova:
    1- he came out to defend to begin with
    2- Dirk missed

National High School Star

Default Re: When a 6-4 defends a 7 footer (Dellavedova vs. Dirk)

Gotta respect the effort

NBA Superstar

One time in high school, protecting a one point lead in the fourth quarter, I thought I'd be a cool guy and do that to a sub-5'10'' defender playing low in a mismatch with me. He just backed up and knocked it away. It looks rightfully awful on tape, as if I just handed him the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    One time in high school, protecting a one point lead in the fourth quarter, I thought I'd be a cool guy and do that to a sub-5'10'' defender playing low in a mismatch with me. He just backed up and knocked it away. It looks rightfully awful on tape, as if I just handed him the ball.
    o so u played high school ball tell me mroe

Lol jk man. How tall are you?

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by rhowen4
    o so u played high school ball tell me mroe

Lol jk man. How tall are you?
    6'3''. I saw my teammate do that Dirk move either earlier in the game or the game prior and I remember it looking really cool. The defender may have even turned to look when he did it so obviously I thought the closing minutes of a one possession game would be a good time to try it out myself for the first time.

Just found the clip. Thankfully, the kid attempted the weakest left handed layup in basketball history on the other end but you can see me almost falling over myself trying to outrun my humiliation the other way.

My rollercoaster of emotions:

6'3''. I saw my teammate do that Dirk move either earlier in the game or the game prior and I remember it looking really cool. The defender may have even turned to look when he did it so obviously I thought the closing minutes of a one possession game would be a good time to try it out myself for the first time.

Just found the clip. Thankfully, the kid attempted the weakest left handed layup in basketball history on the other end but you can see me almost falling over myself trying to outrun my humiliation the other way.

nice hustle tho

Dirk did that move way too slow. You're supposed to act like you're whipping a pass over their head. I used to **** with people with that move all the time...in pick up games, of course.

Another move is, when you're posting someone, you lean forward, tuck the ball between your legs, then fake a pass on either side. Defender looks to see where the ball went, and you spin to the hoop.

Cheers for the gif man hahah, that's good service

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe
    Another move is, when you're posting someone, you lean forward, tuck the ball between your legs, then fake a pass on either side. Defender looks to see where the ball went, and you spin to the hoop.
    you must be an old asian man

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe
    Dirk did that move way too slow. You're supposed to act like you're whipping a pass over their head. I used to **** with people with that move all the time...in pick up games, of course.

Pretty sure that holding the ball between your legs is an illegal move though unless you're talking about And1 mixtape streetball moves.

Here's a legal move for smaller guys to do against bigger guys though:

Starbury

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
    Pretty sure that holding the ball between your legs is an illegal move though unless you're talking about And1 mixtape streetball moves.
    On the contrary, as long as his pivot foot remained set, I do not believe that maneuver would be illegal. It is not being propelled or kicked, one's position is not being advanced, and a pivot is established.

Starbury
    On the other side, I actually do not believe that is legal. It'll work in all-star games (of which that clip is derived), but players typically cannot throw the ball in the air to themselves.

Not illegal at all. Your feet aren't moving and the ball never touches the ground because it's between your knees. Because you're posting up with your back to the defender, if you do it quick enough, he can't tell what you're doing.

Lol that GIF is exactly how I feel whenever I guard a 6'3" guy.

Any other short dudes, WTF do you do when your defender is that much taller than you? Just foul em?

Starbury
    I don't think that's legal. Catching your own shot if it doesn't hit backboard/rim is a travel, no?

On the contrary, as long as his pivot foot remained set, I do not believe that maneuver would be illegal. It is not being propelled or kicked, one's position is not being advanced, and a pivot is established.

On the other side, I actually do not believe that is legal. It'll work in all-star games (of which that clip is derived), but players typically cannot throw the ball in the air to themselves.
    I was just under the impression that holding the ball between your legs would be an illegal move. I know its not a kickball or anything but i still thought it would be some sort of violation.

And i dont see how that starbury move is illegal. Sure he threw the ball to himself but his pivot foot never came back to the floor before he released the shot. I could stop my dribble if i wanted to and then just juggle with the ball while maintaining my pivot foot before going up for a jumpshot