Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star KirbyPls's Avatar

Default Did Melo reach his ceiling/potential? Can he still?

Realz14's observation in another thread that Melo had the potential to be BPITW got me thinking. I don't agree, but what say you ISH?

Did Melo underachieve?

Did Melo get to where he should have as an individual player with his talent?

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Default Re: Did Melo reach his ceiling/potential? Can he still?

He peaked in Rio

Melo has reached his ceiling at this point. Peak wise, u are talking an SF capable of 30 points and 8 boards a night. Scoring skillset wise, he's has one of the top 10 in NBA history in my opinion. BUT the guys like Bron, Bird, Baylor, and Barry at the SF had the EPIC COMBO of alpha dog scoring and great all around ability.

You can't really top those kind of guys BECAUSE they impact the game in so many ways. I don't hold that against Melo, I just appreciate what he brings to the table. But sadly like a Nique, I think he will get shitted on unfairly and could become underrated in a sense.
    Last edited by bizil; 08-11-2016 at 09:46 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Can he still? Wtf? Yes, everyone peaks in their 14th season after numerous injuries and loss of athleticism.

A real14 observation is what prompted this thread? Carmelo Anthony had zero potential to ever be the best player in the world...what a bunch of real14 bullshit nonsense.

Local High School Star

No and No

He underachieved. He was never going to be the BPITW because he was never going to top Lebron or prime Kobe, but he could've been a perennial top 3-4 player like KD now. Melo had a lot of games this year where he showed great team instincts, passing, showed effort defensively and generally played winning basketball. He has it in him to play like a winner, he just put it off way too long. I really believe if Melo was developed on a team like San Antonio or Golden State, where they force you to buy into a team concept, he could've been a perennial MVP candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    He underachieved. He was never going to be the BPITW because he was never going to top Lebron or prime Kobe, but he could've been a perennial top 3-4 player like KD now. Melo had a lot of games this year where he showed great team instincts, passing, showed effort defensively and generally played winning basketball. He has it in him to play like a winner, he just put it off way too long. I really believe if Melo was developed on a team like San Antonio or Golden State, where they force you to buy into a team concept, he could've been a perennial MVP candidate.
    So you think Carmelo Anthony could have been better than Dwyane Wade? Milbitch gon Milbitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    Interesting point! I never expected Melo to develop a great all around game like a Bird, Hondo, Bron, or Barry at the SF. But he possibly could have been like Dr. J, KD,or Alex English. And AT LEAST develop a very good all around game to go with the great scoring.

Melo was ALWAYS in that average to good all around game level. He never got into the very good all around game level. LET ALONE the great all around game level.

Local High School Star KirbyPls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    So you think Carmelo Anthony could have been better than Dwyane Wade? Milbitch gon Milbitch.
    You are angry all the time brother.

If you don't think prime Melo was in the same tier as prime Wade....you have stronger pot than me.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Thanks for once again showing your stupidity to this board.

Just when we think you couldn't be more of a retard, you graciously show us you truly can be. Thank you again.

Can we for once stop overrating this guy?

Cool, he can kinda shoot....the lazy bums never done much else....never will either in the NBA....too busy thinking he's awesome to put the extra yards in around the court.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    If you don't think prime Melo was in the same tier as prime Wade....you have stronger pot than me.
    This is probably true.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Thanks for once again showing your stupidity to this board.

Just when we think you couldn't be more of a retard, you graciously show us you truly can be. Thank you again.
    Wade is better in every way that matters and by a significant margin in some cases. Carmelo's only claim to fame for most of his career is his scoring...and Wade was better at that. Once we get into their all around game (Wade had to run the heat as their pg before Lebron showed up) and defense (lol) it's a joke for anyone to think Melo was on Wade's tier when were talking about prime vs prime.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Wade is better in every way that matters and by a significant margin in some cases. Carmelo's only claim to fame for most of his career is his scoring...and Wade was better at that. Once we get into their all around game (Wade had to run the heat as their pg before Lebron showed up) and defense (lol) it's a joke for anyone to think Melo was on Wade's tier when were talking about prime vs prime.

Obviously Wade has had the better career, but to say that Melo never had a chance to be ahead of him is just pure stupidity/hate.