Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
tgan3
Local High School Star

tgan3 has decent reputation
Default Just how good was Billy "The Kid" Harris?

Everyone heard of streetball legends who have god-like verts, who could reportedly touch the top of the backboard. Earl the goat and Herman "Helicopter" Knowings are such.

Then you have unbelievable scorers who lit up NBA pros...
Joe Hammond scored 50 on Dr J. Pee Wee Kirkland was the original Iverson. Raymond Lewis was considered to many the "Best player and shooter anyone has seen". Then you have Billy Harris a chicago legend..

Quote from Billy"The Kid" Harris..

" “Jordan.” “I don’t care.” “Doc.” “I don’t give a **** who it is. Between the ages of 16 and 30, I will *** them up! Michael, Doc, Larry, Oscar, Magic, any of ’em! You gotta shoot this mutha****a in the hole to win. Let me tell you what I used to do. I used to give people 22 points, the game was 24. I’d get the ball out first. We playing ‘West side’ [which means possessions alternate after every basket]. One basket, you win. If you get the ball and you even hit the backboard, I’d give you a half-a-point. That means all you have to do is hit the backboard four times, and you win. I never lost.”"

I’d give them the 22 and the game’s 24. They would never beat me. You’re not going to beat me. Ain’t no mutha****a alive, walking around, that can say that they beat Billy Harris one-on-one. You can put it on the radio, TV, whatever. Ain’t nobody ever going to step up and say that they beat me. They are not going to win. You don’t understand—I played against n1ggers that would rather kill you than let you beat them. And I figured out a way to destroy those n1ggers.”

Sounds very arrogant. But any basis? I cant believe anyone could play 24, alternating positions, give someone 22 points and half-a-point for touching backboard and not lose a single game in their life. Heck, I believe I could win 1 game out of 10 even against prime Jordan/ or prime anybody with that kind of odds.

Is this guy for real?
tgan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
Djahjaga
High School JV MVP

Djahjaga has decent reputation
Default Re: Just how good was Billy "The Kid" Harris?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgan3
Everyone heard of streetball legends who have god-like verts, who could reportedly touch the top of the backboard. Earl the goat and Herman "Helicopter" Knowings are such.

Then you have unbelievable scorers who lit up NBA pros...
Joe Hammond scored 50 on Dr J. Pee Wee Kirkland was the original Iverson. Raymond Lewis was considered to many the "Best player and shooter anyone has seen". Then you have Billy Harris a chicago legend..

Quote from Billy"The Kid" Harris..

" “Jordan.” “I don’t care.” “Doc.” “I don’t give a **** who it is. Between the ages of 16 and 30, I will *** them up! Michael, Doc, Larry, Oscar, Magic, any of ’em! You gotta shoot this mutha****a in the hole to win. Let me tell you what I used to do. I used to give people 22 points, the game was 24. I’d get the ball out first. We playing ‘West side’ [which means possessions alternate after every basket]. One basket, you win. If you get the ball and you even hit the backboard, I’d give you a half-a-point. That means all you have to do is hit the backboard four times, and you win. I never lost.”"

I’d give them the 22 and the game’s 24. They would never beat me. You’re not going to beat me. Ain’t no mutha****a alive, walking around, that can say that they beat Billy Harris one-on-one. You can put it on the radio, TV, whatever. Ain’t nobody ever going to step up and say that they beat me. They are not going to win. You don’t understand—I played against n1ggers that would rather kill you than let you beat them. And I figured out a way to destroy those n1ggers.”

Sounds very arrogant. But any basis? I cant believe anyone could play 24, alternating positions, give someone 22 points and half-a-point for touching backboard and not lose a single game in their life. Heck, I believe I could win 1 game out of 10 even against prime Jordan/ or prime anybody with that kind of odds.

Is this guy for real?

I don't usually buy into the hype. Harris, for example, went to the Bulls in the 7th round of the 73 draft. This guy can supposedly beat anyone 1-on-1 and he can get in the top-6 rounds? I don't buy it, even with scouting back then being not what it is today.

The idea that he can beat Bird, Jordan, or Magic at any basketball related game is ridiculous. I wouldn't take this guy over Magic in a game of Around the World. Bird would school him at HORSE. And if we're talking actual, physical 1-on-1, he wouldn't score at all on them, even if they were playing with that bullshit backboard half-point rule.
Djahjaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:43 AM   #3
Quizno
Biyombo Smash!!

Quizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djahjaga
I don't usually buy into the hype. Harris, for example, went to the Bulls in the 7th round of the 73 draft. This guy can supposedly beat anyone 1-on-1 and he can get in the top-6 rounds? I don't buy it, even with scouting back then being not what it is today.

The idea that he can beat Bird, Jordan, or Magic at any basketball related game is ridiculous. I wouldn't take this guy over Magic in a game of Around the World. Bird would school him at HORSE. And if we're talking actual, physical 1-on-1, he wouldn't score at all on them, even if they were playing with that bullshit backboard half-point rule.
you really believe that? you really believe a college player who averaged 24 ppg couldn't hit the backboard against an NBA player? assuming the NBA player scores on literally every single possession, he would still have 24 opportunities to hit the backboard. come on now lmao
Quizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:29 AM   #4
Poetry
High School Varsity 6th Man

Poetry is considered somewhat coolPoetry is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djahjaga

I don't quite understand how the draft system worked back then.

Take a guy like Mario Elie, drafted in the 7th round, 160th overall, but he finds his place in the NBA.

And then you have a guy like Billy Harris, drafted 115th overall, but the Bulls didn't pick him up, so he played in the ABA for a season.

Most of those late picks never even got a chance to play anywhere. Makes you wonder which could have played in the NBA and which really couldn't.
Poetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:41 AM   #5
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

My buddy played with Raylou.

He said he was Allen iverson before Allen iverson in a sense of having Speed and agility and quickness.

Said he had never seen anyone with a better jumpshot and a first step like god
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: