Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Duncan-Parker-Ginobili / .341 FG%/ Spurs win by 20

Not only that, San Antonio shot 39% from the field, and 20% from the arc, and...they win easily...

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Default Re: Duncan-Parker-Ginobili / .341 FG%/ Spurs win by 20

Because they have the GOAT coach?

I'm actually curious, what's your coach ranking? Or tiers? Or whatever you do.

The power of a coach

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Not only that, San Antonio shot 39% from the field, and 20% from the arc, and...they win easily...
    Maybe the fact that the Kings also shot 39% form the field and 20% from the arc and shot 20% less from the FT has something to do with it.

Just a hunch

Great depth and great coaching.

I'm a big Spurs fan, with the Sixers in the tank. I love intelligent basketball. I love team ball, where every player produces, and is valued. Notice how players, who were not valued in other systems, suddenly produce for Pop.
    Really hurt when they lost last year to a team they should have beaten in the Finals.

Is Gregg Popovich the GOAT coach? I haven't seen Red Auerbach, John Wooden, or anyone before the 90s really. I've seen Phil, Pat, Sloan, Karl, Adelman, all of the great coaches from the mid 90s to today, and I can't think of a single coach who I think is more skilled than Pop.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
    Because they have the GOAT coach?

I'm actually curious, what's your coach ranking? Or tiers? Or whatever you do.
    If you include college... Wooden would be #1.

After that, I honestly think Pop has a case. He has done more, with less, than Auerbach, Jackson, and Riley did.

If you include college... Wooden would be #1.

After that, I honestly think Pop has a case. He has done more, with less, than Auerbach, Jackson, and Riley did.
    Just wondering, who would make your top 10 for this thread:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=328769

?

Banned

the longest tenured trio of stars surrounded by lowkey unassuming talent?

Looks like Wilt's finals ft%

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Just wondering, who would make your top 10 for this thread:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=328769

?
    Damn...that is tough.

Very few here probably even know who Bill Sharman was, but IMHO, the greatest single season coaching job in NBA history, was his 71-72 season.

And Al Attles did a remarkable job in 74-75.

Wooden was, IMHO, the greatest basketball Coach...period. He won with guard dominated play in the early 60's (including a team that didn't have a starter over 6-5); he won with forward-dominated play (Wicks and Rowe, and later Meyer-Johnson-Washington); and of course he won with Alcindor and Walton.

He won 10 titles in 12 seasons, and had freshmen been allowed to play, he most certainly would have won another in '66 (UCLA's freshman team beat the then #1 ranked varsity in a pre-season scrimmage.) And, had he won in '66, he would have had a streak of 10 in a row. And how about the '73-74 Bruin team that LOST in the NCAA semi's? They lost a double OT game (and after blowing a seven point lead in the first OT.) In fact, that '74 team that lost to NC St, in the semis, was the only team to beat the Wolfpack from 72-73 thru 73-74...and they did it in an 84-66 beatdown. So, Wooden was only a play away from winning nine in a row, and had freshmen been allowed to play, it could have been 12 in a row (in his last 12 seasons.)

Even more remarkable, was the fact that in his last 44 NCAA games, his team's went 43-1, which included 38 in a row. And the vast majority of those were blowout wins. But, to his credit, they pulled out a miraculous come-from-behind win against UNLV in '71...in an era with no shot-clock, and no 3pt line to assist in a comeback.

Not only that, but when he was coaching, only the team's that won their conference could go to the NCAA's. In fact, how about the 70-71 USC Trojans, who went 24-2, and didn't qualify? Why? Because those two losses were against the Bruins.

Even Wooden's LOSSES were monumental. Alcindor's Bruins went 88-2 in his three years, and their two losses were by scores of 46-44 and 71-69. BTW, that 71-69 loss came against Elvin Hayes and the Cougars in the famous Astrodome game in '68. The two teams would meet again in the NCAA semis, and the Bruins just destroyed Houston by a 101-69 margin, in a game that was not even that close (they led by 44 early in the second half.)

UCLA's 88 game winning streak was snapped at South Bend by the Irish, 71-70...in a game that UCLA led 70-59 with three minutes to play.

And of course, that Double OT loss against NC St in the '74 Semis.

And Wooden had FOUR teams that went 30-0. His '67 Bruins had a ppg margin of 25 ppg, His '68 Bruins, even with a loss, had a margin of 26 ppg. And his '72 Bruins had a staggering 30 ppg scoring differential.

I could go on, but IMHO, Wooden stands alone. Just compare his career with that of Dean Smith. Smith probably turned out more NBA stars than Wooden, and yet, could "only" win TWO NCs in 26 seasons.

Damn...that is tough.

Very few here probably even know who Bill Sharman was, but IMHO, the greatest single season coaching job in NBA history, was his 71-72 season.

And Al Attles did a remarkable job in 74-75.

Wooden was, IMHO, the greatest basketball Coach...period. He won with guard dominated play in the early 60's (including a team that didn't have a starter over 6-5); he won with forward-dominated play (Wicks and Rowe, and later Meyer-Johnson-Washington); and of course he won with Alcindor and Walton.

He won 10 titles in 12 seasons, and had freshmen been allowed to play, he most certainly would have won another in '66 (UCLA's freshman team beat the then #1 ranked varsity in a pre-season scrimmage.) And, had he won in '66, he would have had a streak of 10 in a row. And how about the '73-74 Bruin team that LOST in the NCAA semi's? They lost a double OT game (and after blowing a seven point lead in the first OT.) In fact, that '74 team that lost to NC St, in the semis, was the only team to beat the Wolfpack from 72-73 thru 73-74...and they did it in an 84-66 beatdown. So, Wooden was only a play away from winning nine in a row, and had freshmen been allowed to play, it could have been 12 in a row (in his last 12 seasons.)

Even more remarkable, was the fact that in his last 44 NCAA games, his team's went 43-1, which included 38 in a row. And the vast majority of those were blowout wins. But, to his credit, they pulled out a miraculous come-from-behind win against UNLV in '71...in an era with no shot-clock, and no 3pt line to assist in a comeback.

Not only that, but when he was coaching, only the team's that won their conference could go to the NCAA's. In fact, how about the 70-71 USC Trojans, who went 24-2, and didn't qualify? Why? Because those two losses were against the Bruins.

Even Wooden's LOSSES were monumental. Alcindor's Bruins went 88-2 in his three years, and their two losses were by scores of 46-44 and 71-69. BTW, that 71-69 loss came against Elvin Hayes and the Cougars in the famous Astrodome game in '68. The two teams would meet again in the NCAA semis, and the Bruins just destroyed Houston by a 101-69 margin, in a game that was not even that close (they led by 44 early in the second half.)

UCLA's 88 game winning streak was snapped at South Bend by the Irish, 71-70...in a game that UCLA led 70-59 with three minutes to play.

And of course, that Double OT loss against NC St in the '74 Semis.

And Wooden had FOUR teams that went 30-0. His '67 Bruins had a ppg margin of 25 ppg, His '68 Bruins, even with a loss, had a margin of 26 ppg. And his '72 Bruins had a staggering 30 ppg scoring differential.

I could go on, but IMHO, Wooden stands alone. Just compare his career with that of Dean Smith. Smith probably turned out more NBA stars than Wooden, and yet, could "only" win TWO NCs in 26 seasons.

I usually hit open layups

...... against the Kings, stuff like that happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoPunde
    ...... against the Kings, stuff like that happens all the time.
    I am old enough to remember a Kings-Lakers game in which the Lakers led 40-4 in the first period.