Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Default Re: 30+ YO Kobe & Prime "MDE" Shaq playoff ppg and efficiency are extremely comparable

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    Just ran the data....

No hits
    forgot to log on your alt there bud

Default Re: 30+ YO Kobe & Prime "MDE" Shaq playoff ppg and efficiency are extremely comparable

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    all those rebounds that eventually led to the scoring production and efficiency for Shaq was posted in the OP..

try to stay on topic instead of being shook.
    Except for the fact that those rebounds didn't lead to all his points.

Who do you think was on the end of the outlet passes after the defensive rebounds by Shaq? Or passed back out an an offensive rebound. I'm not saying it was Kobe every time on the receiving end, but more often than not he was.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

now put the finals stat, that's where they differ after all

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo

Who do you think was on the end of the outlet passes after the defensive rebounds by Shaq? Or passed back out an an offensive rebound. I'm not saying it was Kobe every time on the receiving end, but more often than not he was.
    what does that have to do with anything i'm talking about in the OP

you do realize that Kobe's numbers in the OP are from 08-10.. ya know.. when he wasn't playing with Shaq

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo

Who kicked the ball to Shaq when he drove to the hoop and got the attention of the defense? Who threw them alley-oops?

Shaq was assisted on 64% of his buckets in 01, 59% in 02, then you add in the offensive rebounds....

Kobe's the one that's dribbling the ball on the perimeter, who's running his man into screens and who shoots long 2s/3s.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    Who kicked the ball to Shaq when he drove to the hoop and got the attention of the defense? Who threw them alley-oops?

Shaq was assisted on 64% of his buckets in 01, 59% in 02, then you add in the offensive rebounds....

Kobe's the one that's dribbling the ball on the perimeter, who's running his man into screens and who shoots long 2s/3s.
    Great post. Kobe detractors love to say how Shaq commanding defensive attention opened up the game for Kobe but Kobe's pick and rolls also caused the big men to go back. Kobe slashing through the defense broke teams down so they were unable to get back to Shaq. If they couldn't get back, its a problem. Kobe creates for Shaq directly with his penetration and nobody got the ball to Shaq better than Kobe did. Kobe's clutch ability and ability to consistently take over in 4th quarters also helped Shaq tremendously. Defenders stayed on Shaq AND Kobe normally double-teams preferred to leave one of the other Lakers role players open for obvious reasons. Shaq didn't draw Kobe's defenders away or sacrifice his game for Kobe. Kobe did it for Shaq by venturing into the paint and being enough of a threat to draw Shaq's man off him. Shaq didn't play on the perimeter to draw off Kobe's man. Kobe would draw the defense and dish it to Shaq for the slam.

Very good NBA starter

You realize how easy it is to score when you have the most dominant player in the league on your team?

Look at how much better Kyrie plays now that he has Lebron

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    yeah god forbid there's a Kobe thread out there actually giving him props, we need more about how shitty he is

ISH loves to spread lies and act like Kobe was some inefficient chucker..

sorry if dropping truth bombs upsets you.. move along and don't respond if it bothers you so much

True

I mean it's true he was an inefficient chucker. Great player, but inefficient chucker. Just like AI.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    True

I mean it's true he was an inefficient chucker. Great player, but inefficient chucker. Just like AI.

I guess Shaq was then too

and if you just wanna go by FG%

playoffs

Dirk: 46%

Ray Allen: 44%

Reggie Miller: 45%

Kobe: 45%

I guess these guys were inefficient chuckers too

and Kobe was shooting at higher volumes than all these guys.. still has the same FG%

L

True

Nah.. definitely not true. Dude was above league average in shooting (FG%), elite from the line, and solid from 3PT.

You can say he had bad shot selection, but overall, he was not inefficient. At least in his prime he wasn't.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

So...pretty much Shaq cant shoot FTs and doesnt take threes. Everyone knew that then. Deciding to combine it with his field goal percentage to create a different concept of what efficient means 15 years later doesnt mean he wasnt destroying everyone. The question asked of Shaq in those days was...if anyone was better than him ever. Legit discussions on 2000 Shaq or top of his game Jordan were had...and were reasonable.

In this time period there were wide discussions on if Kobe or Lebron were the best player in the NBA.

Shaq reached a Jordan like "Other than...." status when the best player was discussed.

He was a foregone conclusion #1 for a while.

College superstar

True

Actually, Kobe's efficiency has always been excellent given his usage and volume. The league average for SG's being around 42-43%, Kobe hovered around 45-47% for most of his career, but you guys have it (wrongfully) drilled in your head that he's a an inefficient chucker. He's performed better than nearly every guard.
    The beauty of Kobe's game is that he has very good efficiency, but also a great skill-set, so you get the best of both worlds.

Misinformed people like yourself compare Kobe to guys like Iverson and Melo (hilarious considering Kobe was a significantly better defensive player and also a great facilitator/play-maker) mainly because of efficiency, but Kobe being inefficient over his career is a myth. He has always been efficient relative to league average, even in most of his highest-volume shooting seasons. In fact, he had excellent efficiency over his prime. He was at a excellent +3-4% relative to league average TS% from 2001-2009. That's as good as the "efficiency God" Wade or 2nd 3-peat Jordan. At no point in his career has Kobe been under league average efficency and he takes many last second shots.

Basketball Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    So...pretty much Shaq cant shoot FTs and doesnt take threes. Everyone knew that then. Deciding to combine it with his field goal percentage to create a different concept of what efficient means 15 years later doesnt mean he wasnt destroying everyone. The question asked of Shaq in those days was...if anyone was better than him ever. Legit discussions on 2000 Shaq or top of his game Jordan were had...and were reasonable.

In this time period there were wide discussions on if Kobe or Lebron were the best player in the NBA.

Shaq reached a Jordan like "Other than...." status when the best player was discussed.

define "this" time period?

when kobe was averaging 30/5/5 in the finals during a repeat? when jordan said that kobe was better than bran? or was it when bran left cleveland and joined miami and lost in the 2011 finals while scoring 8 points in a pivotal finals game?

you're gonna have to be more specific.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

How you shoot FTs matters when it comes to efficiency....

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

You were alive during the period. The Kobe or Lebron argument was quite popular at the time. Many people on both sides. Topics on West saying Lebron....Jordan saying Kobe...Magic says Lebron...Bird says Kobe. It was an argument. Ups and downs for each...we were all around. Little early to start fabricating history and acting like it wasnt a discussion.

Id say Kobe would win a poll on the issue at some points...then it would lean Lebron towards the end.

Hell Kobe vs Wade wasnt just....totally unreasonable. Wade got a few votes from the GMs as best 2.

Shaq was largely unchallenged. Nobody is literally a unanimous pick for best player. Id say Shaq got closest post Jordan.