Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default I think we all agree Durant should win MVP. How close to unanimous will he get?

Never happened before. Likely wont this year. It should have happened a few times though.

Lebron in 09. 66 wins with like....46 wins of talent. Arguably 2010 with 61 wins...probably 63-65 if not for sitting out the end of the year to rest for the playoffs. They lost all 4 without him. 30/9/7? Mo goes down so he plays point himself and they win 13 in a row as hes handing out 43/15/13 games and doing like 30/12? He put up 33/11/7 for a month. No case for anyone else winning.

Maybe last year too. 66 or 67 wins whatever it was...on like 27/8/7 on 58% and 41% from 3? The team would have at least been a top 4 seed without him so you at least have a leg to stand on voting for someone else but really....it shouldnt have happened anyway. Melo got one. In 09 a few others got one. 2010 Durant got 4 and Dwight got 3 as well.

Shaq in 2000. 30/14/4 on a 67 win team. End of the year he was just clowning everyone dropping 60/20 games for his birthday and handing out 40 point nights like nothing. One voter ****ed it up giving one to Iverson. I love AI...but you cant give him that MVP vote. Not when Shaq owns the league and wins 67 games on top of it.

Im not sure Jordan deserved an undisputed second 3peat MVP(96 is close...but the team would have won 50-60 without him which is the only case for not giving it to Lebron last year). I think you can justify it in 1992 though. 15 voters didnt agree though(Drexler 12, Drob 2, and Malone 1).

Hard to argue against Drob in 95 but 8 people got votes.

People love to hate on the media as if its them ****ing up an otherwise respectable pure process but the players were even worse. In 75 12 people got a first place vote.

Including:

Sam Lacey with a rather nice 12/14/5/2/2 statline on a 44 win team. Has a Joakim Noah feel to it but MVP?

Mike Bantom got a first place MVP vote that year...put up 12/7/4 on a 32 win suns team. Im guessing a teammate voted for him because I dont think you were allowed to vote for yourself.

Meanwhile Bob Lamier puts up 24/12/5 and doesnt get a single vote.

The year Wilt put up 24/24/8 and was second in the NBA in asssists while shooting 68% 25 players votes for someone else.

The media hated or not has been far more reasonable than the players were. But...

You just know some jackass is gonna throw Paul George an MVP vote. Or Dwight. Or...whoever. Maybe Harden. YOu know Lebron takes a few.

Durant should probably get all of them...but I suspect he wont.

What do you think the argument will be for the guys who vote for someone else?

When its just one or two people they usually get exposed and explain themselves. This was the case made by the idiot who didnt vote for Shaq in 2000:

Wouldn't you like to give yourself a Hickey? Of course you would. But you can't. Because only Fred Hickman can hand out a Hickey, the one trophy that honors near greatness—semiexcellence, demieminence—in every area of human endeavor.

Last month 121 men and women who cover the NBA voted for the league MVP. One hundred twenty of them did the obvious and cast their ballots for Shaquille O'Neal. One of them—CNN/SI anchor Hickman—had the courage to dissent and thus prevented the Lakers center from becoming the first unanimous MVP in league history. "You take Shaq away from the Lakers, and you still get a great team," reasoned Hickman, who voted instead for Philadelphia guard Allen Iverson. "You take Iverson away from the 76ers, and they're the Clippers."

Granted, this logic contains more fuzz than Jerry Ball's navel. (Take John Lennon away from the Beatles, and would you still have a great band? No, you'd have Paul McCartney & Wings.) Nevertheless, Hickman has hit on something profound: Americans would have greater self-esteem if we rewarded the achievement of mediocrity more often—and not only (as we do now) during presidential elections, wild-card playoffs and the Grammys. You filled out your census form? Here's a Congressional Medal of Honor.

O'Neal merely made a good team great this season. (The Lakers tied for the sixth-best record in league history.) Iverson made a bad team adequate. (The Sixers had the third-best record in the Atlantic Division.) While we can't give the Answer the MVP that such adequacy might mandate, we can still right this wrong and give him a more meaningful trophy: We can give that man a Hickey.
    The case made by dude who voted for Melo last year:

When I placed my NBA MVP vote a few weeks ago, I knew I would be in the minority. I knew LeBron James was the prohibitive favorite to win his fourth award because he unquestionably is the best player in the game.

I voted for Carmelo Anthony based on his importance to the New York Knicks, who, if you haven’t been paying attention the past decade, have failed to be relevant.

When the voting was announced Sunday afternoon, I was flabbergasted to learn I was the lone voter among 121 to not give LeBron a first-place vote, truly believing Anthony, Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, and perhaps even Kobe Bryant would snag a first-place vote or two.

Firstly, when I submitted my vote in mid-April, I had no idea I would be the only voter to leave LeBron out of first. This isn’t Mrs. Wilson’s class, I don’t walk around asking fellow sportswriters their answers to the US History quiz. I had no idea whom the writers were voting for, so this was no LeBron conspiracy.

Secondly, this isn’t the Best Player in the Game award, it’s the Most Valuable Player award, and I think what Anthony accomplished this season was worthy of my vote. He led the Knicks to their first division title in 19 years.

That’s a long time ago.

Anthony led the league in scoring average and basically carried an old Knicks team to the No. 2 seed in the Eastern Conference. Amar’e Stoudemire missed most of the season with knee issues, Raymond Felton missed six weeks, and Tyson Chandler dealt with nagging injuries, leaving Anthony, J.R. Smith, and a bunch of lottery picks from the mid-1990s to win 54 games and beat the Miami Heat three times.

When someone votes for Blake or Steph Curry or whoever in a couple weeks what do you expect their case to be?

I suppose you could apply the "Take ___ off ___ and they suck" logic to a couple middling teams. But I dont see the case at the moment.

Tell me...how far short of unanimous do you think he falls?

Im thinking...12 votes. 8 to Lebron, 1 to Dwight or Harden, 1 to Paul or Blake, and 2 to Paul George if they close the season well.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 03-28-2014 at 09:53 AM.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Default Re: I think we all agree Durant should win MVP. How close to unanimous will he get?

Yeah, just give it to the man. He should compile at least 75% of all first place votes.

Default Re: I think we all agree Durant should win MVP. How close to unanimous will he get?

With this MVP, Katie will finally open the door to that TOP 10 GOAT room.

[COLOR="White"]And serve em cookies.[/COLOR]

3-time NBA All-Star

I don't think it will be close. Alot of people will vote for Lebron. I think Durant should win it unanimously. I would say the following throughout the last 30 years should've been unanimous:

86 - Bird
    91 - Jordan
    92 - Jordan
    95 - Robinson
    96 - Jordan
    00 - Shaq
    04 - KG
    09 - Lebron
    10 - Lebron
    13 - Lebron
    14 - Durant

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

There's always that one guy that wants to be "different" from the rest. It doesn't matter if they look dumb to the rest of the world, as long as they're gonna get attention for throwing in a random vote they're gonna do it. No publicity is bad publicity these days.

And I feel that there are a lot of LeBron homers in the media that are gonna say how Wade had an injure riddled season blah blah and that Miami Cavaliers crap. I can see Griffin and Harden getting a few votes also. Maybe even Noah.

Banned

Didnt read op's post bec he's a bish and likes to type long paragraphs to take the attention away from his virginity

I get a hunch Dirk is gonna snag a lone vote or two.

Although it should, it's not going to be close to unanimous.

Lebron of ISH

Melo got a first place vote last year. Wont be close to unanimous

some fgt in mia will vote for the baby dick tha plays there

Quote Originally Posted by AnaheimLakers24
    some fgt in mia will vote for the baby dick tha plays there
    although the heat retired 23, Jordan played for the bulls and he doesn't even play anymore.
    i have no reason why you are confused.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

How mad would LeBron/Heat stans get if KD wins this unanimously?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

If Lebron doesn't win it , I parlee it to Jordan not winning and Barkley wins it.

That was a disgrace to the history of the NBA.

As far as I am concerned most posters thinking Durant is better than Lebron .. all I have to say if they played 1 on 1 Lebron would KILL HIM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper
    If Lebron doesn't win it , I parlee it to Jordan not winning and Barkley wins it.

That was a disgrace to the history of the NBA.

As far as I am concerned most posters thinking Durant is better than Lebron .. all I have to say if they played 1 on 1 Lebron would KILL HIM.
    and thats a fact huh you dumb fgt

A lot of Lebron stans in the media, he will get a lot of votes and it won't be close to unanimous.