Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Default Re: Bob Cousy vs Dwyane Wade

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    The great D Wade has the same amount of 1st Teams as Tracy McGrady.
    Also led his team to a championship in only his 3rd season, has 2 more rings playing at an all-star level, has better career numbers than damn near every guard besides MJ, has a scoring title, etc.

Dunking on everybody in the park

If ranking Bob Cousy, or even Walt Frazier or Rick Barry over Wade make me dumb, than I guess I'm dumb.

You've presented absolutely no logical argument as to how Cousy is a better player than Wade, other than your arbitrary standards of "cousy was the best guard in his era".

So yes if u think Barry and Cousy are better players than Wade you must be a dumbass and cannot be taken serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    Also led his team to a championship in only his 3rd season, has 2 more rings playing at an all-star level, has better career numbers than damn near every guard besides MJ, has a scoring title, etc.
    Why doesn't he have at least 5 All NBA 1st Teams? I think Chris Webber has two 1st Teams also.

Quote Originally Posted by greatest-ever
    Well lets see Nash is a far more efficient scorer and way better playmaker.

Bringing up the titles is pointless, Cousy played with a top 5 or 10 goat in an era with 8 teams.
    So using efficiency...you have Walt Bellamy way ahead of Cousins? Bellamy was a much better scorer, and far more efficient...and in NBA that was much more difficult to shoot in. The league-wide eFG%'s were barely hovering above the 40% mark. Today's NBA is at the 50% mark.

BTW, a prime KAJ had seasons of .539, .529, .518, and even a .513 (right in the middle of the 70's)...and yet, he had seasons of 60+ in the 80's. Furthermore, he shot a CAREER .447 against a full-time Thurmond, and a CAREER .607 against Hakeem. Hell, a 38-39 year old KAJ was routinely hanging 40+ point games on Hakeem.

Why doesn't he have at least 5 All NBA 1st Teams? I think Chris Webber has two 1st Teams also.
    Because he got injured in the middle of his prime and isn't hyped up by the media.

Which of Cousy's seasons are better than Wade's 2006 season and when has he been as dominant as Wade was from '09-'11?

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    White guy who played college ball in the 60's...and separated by about 5-10 years from Cousy. And who in fact, a who studied Cousy's game.

Cousy was a pioneer. Furthermore, he was the exact height and weight as Nash. Put Cousy in the 00's and let him adapt to the game in a few months, and he would definitely have been compared to Nash.
    with his shooting he'd be let WIIIIDE open and if he's coming in the lane with that shit finishing he is getting rejected worse than durant at a pickup contest. with that ball handling he'd have touble bringing the ball upcourt against an average defender. Put westchimp or beverly on him and he isn't making it to halfcourt ffs.

literally out of ALL the older eras players cousy's game translates the LEAST. he wouldn't even play in the fcking D-league. he would be a good YMCA level player

strong logic

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by jrong
    I have serious trouble believing that you're as stupid as you're representing yourself to be in this thread.

Look at your list of players who are "better" than Wade and point out how many had career averages (rounded) better than 24 pts, 5 rebs, 6 asts, 49% FGs, 2 stls, and 1 blk in their 12th season (and that's not even factoring in how injury-limited and LeBron-limited Wade's numbers are.)

I have serious trouble believing that you believe all the players on your list (or very many at all) could have pushed the NBA's #1 seed to the brink of Game 7 in the second round as a rookie, could have taken over a team with a hurt Shaq as a sophomore and carried them to the brink of the Finals (stopped only by injury) and then carried them to a title in their third years.

I have serious trouble believing that you think many players on your list could have dragged a roster filled with replacement-level players to an average of 45 wins in 09 and 10, been the best player on two Team USA teams ('06 Worlds and '08 Olympics), played as well or better than LeBron as a teammate (who was also on those Team USA teams) in 2011 overall and reduced him to a deferential bystander in the 2011 Finals.

You don't like Wade. We get it. But, you're not really this dumb, are you?

Because if you stand by your list and can't refute what the points I've made above (spolier alert: they're irrefutable), then, I guess you really are.

Bill Walton could have done everything you have just listed. And even him wouldnt nessecarily be ranked over Cousy.

You are insulting my brain.

Webber only has a single first team selection and why would T-Mac having two all NBA first team selections somehow make Wade not great? That's the dumbest logic ever.

The Holy Trinity

If ranking Bob Cousy, or even Walt Frazier or Rick Barry over Wade make me dumb, than I guess I'm dumb.
    You don't address my specific points because you know you can't. But, of those three, the only one with the faintest whisper of a prayer of replicating the accomplishments of Wade's that I listed above was Barry and like I said it's the faintest of whispers.

I'm not some kid who spends all day fantarding online. I'm a professional journalist. I've seen every player since 1980. And I have never seen anything like the systematic underrating of Dwyane Wade, not just in basketball, but in all of sports.

If Wade had played in an older era, this might be slightly defensible. But, he plays in the Internet age. The stats are all on Basketball-Reference, and the games and highlights are on Youtube. So what is the excuse?

It's inexcusable. But, maybe I shouldn't be so hard on you. You are, after all, living in this present media age and not immune to the coverage Wade has been subjected to throughout his career (by members of my profession), which has been nothing short of an abdication of professional responsibility.
    Last edited by jrong; 02-14-2015 at 03:44 PM.

NBA All-star

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    Because he got injured in the middle of his prime and isn't hyped up by the media.

Which of Cousy's seasons are better than Wade's 2006 season and when has he been as dominant as Wade was from '09-'11?

besides the whole injury aspect. When we take away Wade's shot blocking ability, the reality is that he is a 6-4 SG who cant be described as a lockdown defender or someone you may nessecarily put on the opposing best scoring perimeter player.

I can say the same about ibaka. Or even melo, if it wasnt due to his sheer size.

Quote Originally Posted by jrong
    You don't address my specific points because you know you can't. But, of those three, the only one with the faintest whisper of a prayer of replicating the accomplishments of Wade's that I listed above was Barry and like I said it's the faintest of whispers.

I'm not some kid who spends all day fantarding online. I'm a professional journalist. I've seen every player since 1980. And I have never seen anything like the systematic underrating of Dwyane Wade, not just in basketball, but in all of sports.

If Wade had played in an older era, this might be slightly defensible. But, he plays in the Internet age. The stats are all on Basketball-Reference, and the games and highlights are on Youtube. So what is the excuse?

It's inexcusable. But, maybe I shouldn't be so hard on you. You are, after all, living in this present media age and not immune to the coverage Wade has been subjected to throughout his career (by members of my profession), which has been nothing short of an abdication of professional responsibility.
    Why are you discrediting what Cousy did in his era, but bringing up Wade being discredited in his era? This isn't about transporting an athlete of Wade ability into 1955.

Take what Cousy did in his era. I'll even go pre-Russell. Russell missed the first part of his Rookie season.

6 All Star teams / Five NBA 1st Teams
    Playoffs every season including conf finals twice
    Assist leader three times
    Playoff scoring leader three times / assist twice

with Russell
    57 MVP (Russell missed early season)
    7 All Star teams / five 1st and two 2nd
    6 rings in 7 years
    Assist leader (regular and playoff) until Robertson came along

Or you going to discredit this like you say others do Wade?

Quote Originally Posted by GimmeThat
    besides the whole injury aspect. When we take away Wade's shot blocking ability, the reality is that he is a 6-4 SG who cant be described as a lockdown defender or someone you may nessecarily put on the opposing best scoring perimeter player.

I can say the same about ibaka. Or even melo, if it wasnt due to his sheer size.

Why are you discrediting what Cousy did in his era, but bringing up Wade being discredited in his era? This isn't about transporting an athlete of Wade ability into 1955.

Take what Cousy did in his era. I'll even go pre-Russell. Russell missed the first part of his Rookie season.

6 All Star teams / Five NBA 1st Teams
    Playoffs every season including conf finals twice
    Assist leader three times
    Playoff scoring leader three times / assist twice

with Russell
    57 MVP (Russell missed early season)
    7 All Star teams / five 1st and two 2nd
    6 rings in 7 years
    Assist leader (regular and playoff) until Robertson came along

Or you going to discredit this like you say others do Wade?
    I hope you are trolling, otherwise this is such poor logic

cool guy

Only trolls would ask this question