Decent playground baller

Default Re: Jerry West's stats in 1969 NBA Final game 7 VS Boston Celtics

BUT BUT BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He didnt even shoot 50%

What a horrible game

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    He averaged 11.7 ppg for the series, come on, yes, his coach deserves some blame, but so does Wilt. He averaged 20+ ppg in the regular season so when you're a superstar, your production drops that much and you lose to a team you were heavily favored against, you deserve a good amount of blame. Not sure what his FG% was in the '69 finals, but considering he shot 36% from the line(24/66) I wouldn't imagine he was that efficient overall even if he did shoot a high percentage from the field. But that means Wilt averaged just 10.7 ppg the first 6 games. Now it's not unreasonable to say if Wilt played up to his usual level or close that there wouldn't have even been a game 7. The Lakers had a chance to close it out in 6, but they lost and Wilt had just 8 points.

By the way, Wilt left the game at 5:19 remaining and Boston was up 103-94, but before Don Nelson's miracle shot with 1:17 left it was a 103-102.

Simply put, the '69 finals are the low point of Wilt's career. It's pretty hard to defend his performance.

BTW, Boston led by 17 points early in the 4th quarter...and it was 103-04 when Wilt left the floor, BUT, there was a foul called before he left, and West hit the two FTs right after play resumed...so a 17 point lead had been cut to SEVEN with still over 5 minutes left.

True, it was not one of Wilt's best post-season performances...but as always, he outplayed his counterpart in every aspect.

In any case, only a complete idiot would have left Wilt on the bench in the last five minutes of that game...and of course, Van Breda Kolf left Wilt's replacement on the floor, Mel Counts, who shot 4-13 from the field, and missed a couple of shots down the stretch.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    Seems to me his team was playing better without him, they cut the lead very quickly right after he left the game. Team played better at both ends afterwards and thanks to Jerry they didn't lose a step, why would the coach sub an (injured) Wilt back in?

As for touches, maybe they feared Wilt would choke another game at the foul line (flashback to '68 perhaps)? Boston does seem to be intentionally fouling him if he gets good position. After all, he was a miserable 24/66 (36.4%) from the free throw line in the finals (4/13 in the game 7). Why would you give touches to someone who isn't giving you much scoring wise, and is basically turning over the ball at the FT line, especially when you have Jerry West on your team?
    You are idiotic as Van Breda Kolf. How about game seven of the '65 Finals, when Wilt took a 40-40 team, up against the 62-18 Celtics, and scored the last six points of the game (and eight of the last ten), including 2-2 from the FT line, and a thunderous dunk over Russell with five seconds play...and had cut Boston's lead down from 110-101, to 110-109? Or that the "clutch" Russell then hit a guidewire on his inbounds pass...and only a Havlicek steal saved the game for Boston. All Wilt did in that game was score 30 points, with 32 rebounds, and shoot 12-15 from the floor.

And, yes, he missed 17 FTs in game five of the '66 ECF's...and was labeled a choker. Of course, he had just put up a 46-34 game. I wonder how MJ would have reacted if a member of the media would have labeled him a choker for missing two FTs in his 63 pt. OT loss to the Celtics (as well as the potential winning shot in regulation)?

Oh, and BTW, where were Russell's critics in the '67 ECF's, when in the clinching game five loss, he put up a FOUR point game, on 2-5 shooting? Meanwhile, Chamberlain poured in 22 points in the first half, and finished with 29 (on 10-16 shooting), as well as outrebounding Russell, 36-21, and outassisting him 13-7. Surely, the great Russell could carry HIS team when he was needed, like Wilt had to do virtually his entire career.

owwwww

Wow...West's point total by the game:

G1: 53 pts
    G2: 41 pts
    G3: 24 pts (LA lost)
    G4: 40 pts
    G5: 39 pts
    G6: 26 pts (LA lost)
    G7: 42 pts

What a beast. And who guarded him? Hondo? I've seen a couple of other games ('62 G7), he's got the wettest midrange shot I've ever seen.

Kind of find it funny how the greatest scorer to ever live scored just FOUR more points than his backup center through 6 games

3-time NBA All-Star

Wow...West's point total by the game:

G1: 53 pts
    G2: 41 pts
    G3: 24 pts (LA lost)
    G4: 40 pts
    G5: 39 pts
    G6: 26 pts (LA lost)
    G7: 42 pts

What a beast. And who guarded him? Hondo? I've seen a couple of other games ('62 G7), he's got the wettest midrange shot I've ever seen.

Kind of find it funny how the greatest scorer to ever live scored just FOUR more points than his backup center through 6 games
    I know that Wilt had 175 rebounds in that series...I wonder how many his backup had? Oh, and BTW, his backup shot .385 from the floor in the playoffs.
    Last edited by jlauber; 06-14-2010 at 11:51 PM.

Seems to me his team was playing better without him, they cut the lead very quickly right after he left the game.
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...7&postcount=14

Team played better at both ends afterwards and thanks to Jerry they didn't lose a step, why would the coach sub an (injured) Wilt back in?

Why would you give touches to someone who isn't giving you much scoring wise, and is basically turning over the ball at the FT line, especially when you have Jerry West on your team?
    Well the Celtics did force some bad outside shots after Russell initially got a bit excited with Mel Counts guarding him. They could have fed Chamberlain every time down as Bill Russell was clearly sagging off him, in hopes of fouling him out, therefore giving the Lakers a more decisive advantage on the glass with Russell out. The point is that Chamberlain was not given an opportunity to help his team win the championship at the end as noted by Sonny Hill below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESDFppbQ2zM#t=3m34s

As for touches, maybe they feared Wilt would choke another game at the foul line (flashback to '68 perhaps)?
    I know you despise Chamberlain, but this type of fabrication is unwarranted.

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA
    I know you despise Chamberlain, but this type of fabrication is unwarranted.
    How is it fabrication? Flashback to '68 ECF, Celtics vs. Philly. In game 6 Hal Greer had 40 pts, while Wilt shot 8/23 from the FT line (had 20 pts total) in a close game which he blew while getting outplayed by Russell. Then we all know what happened in second half of game 7 where Wilt's play bewildered everyone from fans to his coach to the players.

And, yes, he missed 17 FTs in game five of the '66 ECF's...and was labeled a choker. Of course, he had just put up a 46-34 game. I wonder how MJ would have reacted if a member of the media would have labeled him a choker for missing two FTs in his 63 pt. OT loss to the Celtics (as well as the potential winning shot in regulation)?
    Wait, are you really trying to equate Wilt going 8/25 from the line in an elimination game while having HCA to MJ going 19/21 from the line in his 63 pt game against a heavily favored team? What the hell?
    Last edited by Fatal9; 06-15-2010 at 12:09 AM.

3-time NBA All-Star

How is it fabrication? Flashback to '68 ECF, Celtics vs. Philly. In game 6 Hal Greer had 40 pts, while Wilt shot 8/23 from the FT line (had 20 pts total) in a close game which he blew while getting outplayed by Russell. Then we all know what happened in second half of game 7 where Wilt's play bewildered everyone from fans to his coach to the players.

Wait, are you really trying to equate Wilt going 8/25 from the line in an elimination game while having HCA to MJ going 19/21 from the line in his 63 pt game against a heavily favored team? What the hell?
    Of course you fail to mention Wilt posting a 46-34 game....AGAINST RUSSELL, no less...arguably the greatest defensive center in NBA history. Yes, it was as ridiculous to assume that Wilt's game was any less brilliant.
    Last edited by jlauber; 06-15-2010 at 12:14 AM.

How is it fabrication? Flashback to '68 ECF, Celtics vs. Philly. In game 6 Hal Greer had 40 pts, while Wilt shot 8/23 from the FT line (had 20 pts total) in a close game which he blew while getting outplayed by Russell.
    How can you make the implication that he singlehandedly blew it without having seen the game? They were down 14 points in the 4th quarter until the Sixers made a strong run near the end. We don't know at what point during the game Chamberlain missed those foul shots and we also don't know how they directly impacted the game.

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Of course you fail to mention Wilt posting a 46-34 game. Yes, it was as ridiculous to assume that Wilt's game was any less brilliant.
    Uh, if MJ ever had a 46 pt game where he shot 8/25 (terrible by even Wilt's low standards) from the FT line in a LOSS during an elimination game, he would get absolutely grilled in the media for choking.

Of course you fail to mention Wilt posting a 46-34 game. Yes, it was as ridiculous to assume that Wilt's game was any less brilliant.
    Indeed Chamberlain choked away Game 5 in 1966 for the Sixers (lost by 8 points) with his poor foul shooting, despite his 46/34 game.

Critics at the time were no better either.

Wilt Loses Temper, Feuds With Writer

3-time NBA All-Star

What??? Jordan hit two free throws at the end of regulation to tie the game and send it to OT. What are you talking about?

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA
    How can you make the implication that he singlehandedly blew it without having seen the game? They were down 14 points in the 4th quarter until the Sixers made a strong run near the end. We don't know at what point during the game Chamberlain missed those foul shots and we also don't know how they directly impacted the game.
    It was ALWAYS Wilt's fault Abe...

Of course, before Magic came along...Kareem had at least as equally, if not more "disappointing career."

How come an over-the-hill Thurmond could outplay him in two straight playoff series, including a shocking upset in '73? Or that Kareem "choked" down the stretch, while an aged Chamberlain TOOK OVER the clinching game six of the '72 WCF's? Or that a little white center would outplay Kareem in a game seven, and lead an underdog team to a win over Kareem's Bucks? Or that Kareem couldn't take the Lakers to even a Finals, until MAGIC came along. Or that he was blown away in a sweeping loss to Moses Malone in '83.

Fatal will come up with all kinds of excuses...but, no, not Wilt. It was ALWAYS Wilt's fault...and NEVER Kareem's.

He and ShaqAttack and their anti-Wilt posts. But heaven forbid you point out that O'Neal was involved in SIX post-season sweeping losses, and was ONE SHOT away from seven. How many other great players can make that claim?

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    What??? Jordan hit two free throws at the end of regulation to tie the game and send it to OT. What are you talking about?
    He MISSED TWO FTs in regulation. Had he even hit ONE, they would have won the game, and then avoided a sweep.

Look Guy, you don't honestly think I am ripping Jordan here, do you? I was merely pointing out, that to criticize Chamberlain for missing FTs, in a game in which he DOMINATED, is just RIDICULOUS. As RIDICULOUS as blaming Jordan for his Bulls loss in that OT game.

My god, how many idiots are on this forum?

3-time NBA All-Star

He MISSED TWO FTs in regulation. Had he even hit ONE, they would have won the game, and then avoided a sweep.

Look Guy, you don't honestly think I am ripping Jordan here, do you? I was merely pointing out, that to criticize Chamberlain for missing FTs, in a game in which he DOMINATED, is just RIDICULOUS. As RIDICULOUS as blaming Jordan for his Bulls loss in that OT game.

My god, how many idiots are on this forum?
    So Jordan missing 2 FTs is comparable to Wilt missing 17 FTs? Is that what you're saying? Yet your calling other people idiots?