Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Do yall really think the sorriest player in the NBA would be a God if he played us?

I heard this before but i cant buy it. Yea I a bench warmer is still one of the top players in the country and could probably school any regular ***** at basketball.
    But i have a hard time believing ****** like Derek Fisher, would go to the Rucker or some shit and become Michael Jordan

I rep Lakers!

Default Re: Do yall really think the sorriest player in the NBA would be a God if he played us?

Quote Originally Posted by zay_24
    I heard this before but i cant buy it. Yea I a bench warmer is still one of the top players in the country and could probably school any regular ***** at basketball.
    But i have a hard time believing ****** like Derek Fisher, would go to the Rucker or some shit and become Michael Jordan

No players in the NBA last because most of them understand how to play team basketball in the NBA or have an elite skill (shooting threes,defense,or sometimes just size with the ability to defend)

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Default Re: Do yall really think the sorriest player in the NBA would be a God if he played us?

derek fisher would be balling us up, posting us up backing us down ar eyou serious?

NBA Superstar

The worst NBA player is still in the top 99.999% of every basketball player in the world. Does it mean Derek Fisher would arrive at Rucker Park and begin pulling off Hot Sauce moves and performing between-the-legs dunks? Nope. Would there be folks at a given park who may be faster than Fisher? Or stronger? Or more athletic? Or maybe finishing better in traffic? I think it's definitely possible. In terms of the entire package though, I'd say it's more than fair to say any NBA player is likely going to be far better than nearly every other single player they'd ever encounter on a street court.

In Fisher's case, we'd be talking about a supremely conditioned athlete. He's 6'1'' 210lbs and strong. Against regular folks, he'd likely run the floor for days and push at a heavy tempo. While his ballhandling might not be showy, it'd be extremely reliable. His passing would be smart and precise, not to mention firm and authoritative. Fisher is a career 37% three point shooter from 24 feet away. I believe the Rucker has an NBA line but it seems most street courts in America are high school lined (and perhaps college lined). That'd mean Fisher's triples in a street game would come to him like layups, not to mention he'd be a sure threat from at least four feet beyond the high school line.

Again at 6'1'' 210, Fisher would likely be able to bully normal street guards with strong and savvy post play. He'd likely be too quick or shifty for taller street defenders. If he didn't wear down a defender through ball-handling, he'd probably make his presence felt by moving without the ball with effective cuts and curls, not to mention filling the lane, rebounding, and running the floor at all times.

I've never played against a current NBA player so I suppose I'm just throwing stuff out there. I don't envision Derek Fisher shaking and baking while dunking on fools. But I don't think there'd be any way for folks to not be able to make a clear distinction as to who the NBA player was on the floor and who was not.

Whenever this topic comes up, I harken back to the early 2000's when I saw Mike Dunleavy Jr. play at Rucker Park on some late night ESPN2 show. He was coming off an underwhelming rookie year where he averaged 6 points a night as a spot up shooter of sorts. What became very apparent early in the Rucker game on ESPN2 was this: Mike Dunleavy Jr. was 6 foot freaking 9, 220 pounds and had range well beyond the NBA stripe. That means he was bombing from wherever he pleased, he was blocking shots because he was comparatively huge, and he was dunking with ease. Even the most average NBA players are on another level.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 05-21-2012 at 11:06 PM.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    That'd mean Fisher's triples in a street game would come to him like layups, not to mention he'd be a sure threat from at least four feet beyond the high school line.
    I absolutely agree with your post, but I wanna point out that you need to give Fisher even more credit here. Not only would Fisher hit open threes like layups, he'd hit contested threes like layups. Cats on the playground do not exactly have the defensive game of NBA players. Fisher is a 37% career shooter with guys like Parker or Nash guarding him. He would probably shoot twice that with any of us guarding him.

Made that high school varsity squad Westbrook0's Avatar

The worst NBA player is still in the top 99.999% of every basketball player in the world. Does it mean Derek Fisher would arrive at Rucker Park and begin pulling off Hot Sauce moves and performing between-the-legs dunks? Nope. Would there be folks at a given park who may be faster than Fisher? Or stronger? Or more athletic? Or maybe finishing better in traffic? I think it's definitely possible. In terms of the entire package though, I'd say it's more than fair to say any NBA player is likely going to be far better than nearly every other single player they'd ever encounter on a street court.

In Fisher's case, we'd be talking about a supremely conditioned athlete. He's 6'1'' 210lbs and strong. Against regular folks, he'd likely run the floor for days and push at a heavy tempo. While his ballhandling might not be showy, it'd be extremely reliable. His passing would be smart and precise, not to mention firm and authoritative. Fisher is a career 37% three point shooter from 24 feet away. I believe the Rucker has an NBA line but it seems most street courts in America are high school lined (and perhaps college lined). That'd mean Fisher's triples in a street game would come to him like layups, not to mention he'd be a sure threat from at least four feet beyond the high school line.

Again at 6'1'' 210, Fisher would likely be able to bully normal street guards with strong and savvy post play. He'd likely be too quick or shifty for taller street defenders. If he didn't wear down a defender through ball-handling, he'd probably make his presence felt by moving without the ball with effective cuts and curls, not to mention filling the lane, rebounding, and running the floor at all times.

I've never played against a current NBA player so I suppose I'm just throwing stuff out there. I don't envision Derek Fisher shaking and baking while dunking on fools. But I don't think there'd be any way for folks to not be able to make a clear distinction as to who the NBA player was on the floor and who was not.

Whenever this topic comes up, I harken back to the early 2000's when I saw Mike Dunleavy Jr. play at Rucker Park on some late night ESPN2 show. He was coming off an underwhelming rookie year where he averaged 6 points a night as a spot up shooter of sorts. What became very apparent early in the Rucker game on ESPN2 was this: Mike Dunleavy Jr. was 6 foot freaking 9, 220 pounds and had range well beyond the NBA stripe. That means he was bombing from wherever he pleased, he was blocking shots because he was comparatively huge, and he was dunking with ease.

Glad someone realizes how it would really be. Everyone who thinks they could hold their own against ANY NBA player is a f ucking joke. Always pisses me off when people think they are even in the same galaxy game-wise as any NBA player.

Banned

How about someone like earl boykins or nate rob tho?

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by RazorBaLade
    Nate Robinson would just dunk over you. Remember, this is a dude who can almost jump over Dwight Howard. Never mind the kind of handles those two players have.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

I don't know about you, but an average pick up game a 6'1 220 lb dude built like that would be the center.

And now let's say that center is the second or third fastest on the court, has the best shooting ability by far, best handle, best passing ability, and best defense.

He'd score 50 easily.

Banned

Unless you play ball professionally yourself your going to get destroyed. It won't be like the movies with dunks and crap from every player but they'll beat you with their skills and likely their physical play. There may be exceptions with some street ballers who could have made the league if things fell into place them but for the average players yeah Fisher would beat you. Remember when you see a bench warming NBA player go play in overseas leagues that contain most of those countries top talents and usually a bunch of division one college players who didn't make, they usually still dominate over there.

NBA Superstar

I have to be completely honest and admit I've played against sub-5'8'' guys who could ball with excellent effectiveness. They weren't even necessarily college-level players (some were) but they were still able to make it work on mediocre courts filled with players 6-12 inches taller than them.

As such, I feel NBA skilled short guys would comparatively be able to fit in to any street court across America. And by fit in, I mean dominate. If we think about it, Earl Boykins has carved out a career around attacking and finishing over the most athletic seven footers in the world. Basically, if Boykins can make things work against the likes of Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum, Dwight Howard, Tim Duncan, and Shaquille O'Neal, I don't envision him struggling against any height thrown at him on the street.

Again to go back to the little guys I've played ball with, they were fast as hell. I find myself to be relatively quick, but I often struggled to keep myself in front of their shifty ballhandling. Often, my solution for these mediocre little guys would be to provide them space and make them shoot jump shots. That would clearly not be an option for defending guys like Boykins and Robinson, who'd also undoubtedly be faster than the fastest guys I've ever defended.

Further, even though Nate Robinson stands at 5'8'', he's clearly capable of playing above the rim. And folks have seen him bomb from 25+ first hand. He'd probably be more of a handful on a street court than Derek Fisher would be.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 05-21-2012 at 11:22 PM.

National High School Star sick_brah07's Avatar

Whenever this topic comes up, I harken back to the early 2000's when I saw Mike Dunleavy Jr. play at Rucker Park on some late night ESPN2 show. He was coming off an underwhelming rookie year where he averaged 6 points a night as a spot up shooter of sorts. What became very apparent early in the Rucker game on ESPN2 was this: Mike Dunleavy Jr. was 6 foot freaking 9, 220 pounds and had range well beyond the NBA stripe. That means he was bombing from wherever he pleased, he was blocking shots because he was comparatively huge, and he was dunking with ease. Even the most average NBA players are on another level.

glad somebody understands what it takes to play serious ball

99.99% of people have never played against top notch basketball players, when you step onto the court with them or against them only then you realise how ridiculously good proffesional basketball players are let alone the cream of the crop (NBA Players)

Nate Robinson would destroy any normal person on the court with him, espescially if he was giving 100% effort to doing it. This is a dude who averages 11 PPG per 23 minutes in the NBA.....off the bench as a 5'8 player. Nate can create his shot off the dribble and put up points quickly against NBA players, let alone giving him the ability to do this on guys close to his size.

Not to mention hes arguably the most complete physical specimen in the NBA in that hes a NBA player who's built to play in the NFL with the athletic ability.

How are you going to stop this from posting you up or just breaking you down and driving to the basket?

Then he has a 43' vertical.

Last edited by Rowe; 05-21-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Made that high school varsity squad Westbrook0's Avatar

Oh my ****ing God. Please tell me you aren't seriously this dumb.

If these guys are balling against 6'8 freakish NBA athletes, then what in the FUCK do you think they would do to 6' out of shape average joes like us?

This is a random summer league circuit game in Seattle, Washington that Nate Robinson played in. Had nothing to do with the NBA, I think he just wanted to hoop somewhere during the offseason.

But this is him vs average guys, does absolute work on all of them. Scored 55 points on them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVqxDaDXPRM