Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Is it unpatriotic to decline to play on the national team?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronbron23
    No not at all. Patriotism is wack anyway. We draw lines in the dirt and say your this and your that when really were all the same. More bad than good has come out of patriotism in the history of mankind. If you wanna go to if you don't don't who cares really.
    This is so weird to read.

I don't get it, I never have.

On the other hand, patriotism is easier if you don't have a lot of different ethnicities in the same country.

Local High School Star Ainosterhaspie's Avatar

Not unpatriotic. The country doesn't care about, why should the athletes. They win and the country yawns. They lose and they look bad. They get injured they could lose tens to hundreds of millions of dollars. Just because other countries are excited about it doesn't mean we should be.

They show those FIBA games on NBA TV and I'm mad they're not showing some random 80s NBA game instead. I'd rather watch those.
    Last edited by Ainosterhaspie; 09-05-2019 at 03:56 PM.

The US government (and media) exploits feelings of patriotism to stifle dissent and excuse imperialism.

Ever since the Vietnam War, many people have viewed patriotic displays with suspicion.

For me, patriotism is about showing love for the people of your country. Patriotism can be a force for good, because it inspires people to show love for people they don't even know, because they are countrymen.

When patriotism is twisted into hating the "other" it becomes jingoism, which is a dangerously militaristic ideology.
    Last edited by ralph_i_el; 09-05-2019 at 04:09 PM.

Averaging 1.4 ppg RealSkipBayless's Avatar

Only if they've never done it before. If you've repped the team once before then your duty is done. We are deep enough to where others can fill in.

I agree.

It's SUPER unpatriotic to refuse to do something you don't want to do for no pay.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn
    I agree.

It's SUPER unpatriotic to refuse to do something you don't want to do for no pay.
    Good example of entitled thinking.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Bronbron23
    No not at all. Patriotism is wack anyway. We draw lines in the dirt and say your this and your that when really were all the same. More bad than good has come out of patriotism in the history of mankind. If you wanna go to if you don't don't who cares really.
    Exactly. It's just a contrived way to divide people who would otherwise have no quarrel, through tapping into obsolete tribalist instincts.

Maybe some players caught wind of MJ's experience??

"I don't like giving advice on things like that," said Jordan. "Everybody has their own individual goals. Some players may have goals of representing their country, and if that's the case, they should go. But they should know what they're getting into, a grueling five-week process that will eventually take its toll on you mentally and physically."

116-48
    103-70
    111-68
    127-83
    122-81
    115-77
    127-76
    117-85 -Gold Medal game.

Just the thought of beating every team by 50+ would make one need an ice soak and an IV.

Lol u niccas think this is about patriotism and pride?

Niqqa this is about steroids and PEDs. The minute an NBA star gets a whiff of FIBA’s strict testing rules, they drop the **** out. The IOC on the other hand doesn’t give shit about cheaters (unless it’s political which is why they went after Russia last olympics). The IOC only cares about money which is why you will see most NBA superstars play on the next Olympics.

Very good NBA starter

[QUOTE=bison]Lol u niccas think this is about patriotism and pride?

Niqqa this is about steroids and PEDs. The minute an NBA star gets a whiff of FIBA

Depends on your career and health situation and age.

Or if you already donated significant time to the nation or the program IE: Bron, KD, Kyrie etc.

If you’re a dude like Devin Booker who never played meaningful games your entire professional career? Then no. International play is a different game, and is a great confidence builder or learning experience.

To turn it down to work out at the same lifetime fitness over and over again without actual merit or pressure is ****ing stupid. And it’s not making you improve.

In the past several years directly following stints with Team USA the following dudes had career years:

Jordan (1985) - who carried amateurs and won gold before even becoming a pro while absolutely dominating all competition

LeBron (2009)
    Wade (2009)
    Melo (2009)
    Durant (2011)
    D-Rose (2011)
    Curry (2015)
    Kyrie (2015)

Etc
    Last edited by SamuraiSWISH; 09-05-2019 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo
    Maybe some players caught wind of MJ's experience??

"I don't like giving advice on things like that," said Jordan. "Everybody has their own individual goals. Some players may have goals of representing their country, and if that's the case, they should go. But they should know what they're getting into, a grueling five-week process that will eventually take its toll on you mentally and physically."

116-48
    103-70
    111-68
    127-83
    122-81
    115-77
    127-76
    117-85 -Gold Medal game.

Just the thought of beating every team by 50+ would make one need an ice soak and an IV.
    It is well known that MJ was a mental midget. A very weak minded person after gold game blow games and taking 2 years off after making only 3 straight finals.

The dude is just weak mentally, nothing more good to say about it. It is what it is.

Very good NBA starter

[QUOTE=SamuraiSWISH]Depends on your career and health situation and age.

Or if you already donated significant time to the nation or the program IE: Bron, KD, Kyrie etc.

If you

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Rico2016
    It is well known that MJ was a mental midget. A very weak minded person after gold game blow games and taking 2 years off after making only 3 straight finals.

The dude is just weak mentally, nothing more good to say about it. It is what it is.
    This alt is really completely forgettable.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

A pretty good number of basketball fans in America don