Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Will Kobe Bryant surpass Larry Bird's Legacy?

Quote Originally Posted by 20 Dimes A Game
    Yeah, there was all this noise about it from the media. Research it.

I think it was after Bird and the Celtics had just beat us Pistons in the playoffs.

I just posted the NY Times link from June 5, 1987. Rodman started it initially, but Thomas re-worded it. Rodman apologized, while Isiah never did.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by White Chocolate
    2. Kobe will never catch up to Larry Bird. He doesn't have the time to do it.
    jordan won 5 titles, 3 regular season mvps, and 5 finals mvps after what kobes age is now.

not saying he will accomplish half of what Jordan did from this age on...but the argument of there not being enough time is farce.

Kobe will have to do alot because White Amercia will always over rate Bird.
    He was a great player, top 5 ever IMO but is always slightly over rated because he's white.

Not to the extent of Isiah Thomas' comments such as ' If Bird was black, he'd be an average player' or whatever trash he said.
    I don`t think Thomas would be my first option to evaluate talent...

HeartHustleHope

I just posted the NY Times link from June 5, 1987. Rodman started it initially, but Thomas re-worded it. Rodman apologized, while Isiah never did.
    Thanks buddy.

HeartHustleHope

Quote Originally Posted by dhenk
    I don`t think Thomas would be my first option to evaluate talent...
    Yeah lol..

I was just saying my opinion was no where as extreme as his.

Not gonna happen but Kobe Bryant would always be remembered for scoring 81 points against the Toronto Raptors.

Thanks buddy.

The part that bothered me was Isiah's concluding statement:

''I looked up the word 'racist'. Has anyone in here taken the time to look it up? 'Racist' is an ugly word. Let's try not to use it.''

No intention of an apology, or even admitting he was wrong. At least Dennis admitted he was wrong and apologized. Bird can say that he holds no ill will all he wants, but that is BS.

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

I just don't see it happening and here's why. In order for Kobe to reach that level, he will need to win a couple championships and a couple MVPs.

1. In order to win championships, you have to have serious talent around you. Bird had hall of famers. I don't see Laker mgmt assembling the necessary talent.

2. In order to win MVPs, you have to be on a team winning 50+ games. I don't see this Laker squad winning 50+.

Right now there is only one all-star on that team. so, Kobe is SOL, imo

but you never know...perhaps the FO will somehow steal legit talent...and/or Bynum blossom into an all-star talent.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by YAWN
    jordan won 5 titles, 3 regular season mvps, and 5 finals mvps after what kobes age is now.

not saying he will accomplish half of what Jordan did from this age on...but the argument of there not being enough time is farce.
    Kobe isn't Jordan. So, you're argument doesn't work. Not many swingmen stay as durable as Jordan at that age. Also, at that age, not many can maintain their level of play as if it was part of their prime. Jordan's prime pretty much looked like it lasted 10 years.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
    I just don't see it happening and here's why. In order for Kobe to reach that level, he will need to win a couple championships and a couple MVPs.

1. In order to win championships, you have to have serious talent around you. Bird had hall of famers. I don't see Laker mgmt assembling the necessary talent.

2. In order to win MVPs, you have to be on a team winning 50+ games. I don't see this Laker squad winning 50+.

Right now there is only one all-star on that team. so, Kobe is SOL, imo

but you never know...perhaps the FO will somehow steal legit talent...and/or Bynum blossom into an all-star talent.
    Kobe had 3 HOFers in 03-04 as the #1 option (by his choice, not the coach) . Still no title

World Champion WOOOO~!

2. Kobe will never catch up to Larry Bird. He doesn't have the time to do it. He doesn't have the MVPs or even winning a title as the first option. The fact that Kobe is not liked by the media certainly won't help his cause.
    I agree with you on Bird not being overrated, as he

World Champion WOOOO~!

Quote Originally Posted by Make It Rain
    Kobe had 3 HOFers in 03-04 as the #1 option (by his choice, not the coach) . Still no title
    Switch prime Kobe with 04 Kobe and the Laker

can you expand on that? or are you just saying that he didn't win the championship with Shaq, Malone & GP?

Very good NBA starter

Kobe isn't Jordan. So, you're argument doesn't work. Not many swingmen stay as durable as Jordan at that age. Also, at that age, not many can maintain their level of play as if it was part of their prime. Jordan's prime pretty much looked like it lasted 10 years.
    i agree thats why I said i dont think he will get near there. However Kobe does play at a high level and hasnt shown many signs of declining yet; aside from being somewhat injury prone. i think he has 3-4 more years as the #1 guy then i think he will play 2-3 more as a #2 or 3 somewhere. I see kobe possibly getting 1 regular season MVP, and 2 more titles. 1 as the #1 and another as a #2, not sure if he will be a ring chaser ala payton and try and get 6.

[QUOTE=Tainted Sword]Switch prime Kobe with 04 Kobe and the Laker