Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Ricky Rubio Is A Hyped Up Media Creation

It has been said over and over that all this hype in the US about Rubio "playing professionally" at age 14-15 was mostly just a media creation in the US. This whole myth being created that this was something totally one of a kind and extraordinary is something that both NBA and Spanish League fans (American fan boys and Spanish homers) have used to an extreme to propagate this myth that this proved Rubio was something unique and unheard of and "the best European talent ever", which is a joke.

Despite numerous other European fans trying to explain that there really is not something so unique about this, no NBA fan boys believe it. All they believe is the hype machine from US media and from Spain. Just like no matter how many times it is explained that Rubio is averaging 6 and 5 on poor shooting in the Euroleague (and that is by far his career year so far to boot), 90% of NBA fan boys repeat this fantasy myth "Rubio dominates Europe". If anyone questions this they get the "he is injured" or "he is just a kid" excuses. Well those are starting to run out. He would be a college sophomore if he was an American player so he's not THAT young to be making such excuses. And he's not injured at all as he is 100% healthy, so the injury excuse that was used by all NBA fan boys and Spanish homers as the excuse for his bad play in the Euroleague last year won't fly. And all the "those are good stats for Europe" lies don't fly either. Because actually, no, he has nothing better than average stats in the Euroleague overall and that is it.

Well, part of this hype and myth NBA fans believe is that draftexpress knows what they are talking about. Even though largely they are wrong on mostly everything they say regarding European basketball, nonetheless, NBA fans are under a delusion that they are "legit" about European basketball (they aren't though). So since NBA fans give "credence" to draftexpress they can read it from them directly and then the excuses and lies posted by NBA fan boys and Spanish homers about Rubio, like calling any European fan questioning the hype reported about Rubio, "liars", won't work this time. Since they themselves use draftexpress, another fan boy site, to get most of their European basketball "knowledge" from anyway they can read the truth here:

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Int...or-Vesely-3344

15-year Old Breaks Greek League Age Record

After 14-year old Edvinas Seskus of Rudupis Prienai broke the first division Lithuanian league record by being the youngest player to ever enter a game last week, 15-year old Alexandros Aggelakos accomplished the same feat in the ultra physical and competitive Greek league on Saturday. This, according to European basketball website TalkBasket.net.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again, all this hype about Rubio is mostly just that - hype. But if anyone dares question all this insane hype about Rubio you automatically get the "he played in ACB at 14-15 and that proves he is the best ever European talent" and "no one else in European history can play pro ball at such a young age" and blah, blah, blah.

And then if you bring up other examples the hype machine liars use the old "but ACB is a good league and the others in Europe suck". Well again since these fan boys put so much trust in their fan boy site draftexpress, read this excerpt again.............

15-year old Alexandros Aggelakos accomplished the same feat in the ultra physical and competitive Greek league on Saturday.

And also Panagiotis Yiannakis played in the old original Greek League professionally at age 13. Yes at age THIRTEEN. Again, the hype that Rubio is some kind of European basketball savant, a one of a kind, unheard of Mozart of basketball is pure nonsense.

But again if a European fan brings up such things they are called a "liar" by the NBA fan boys, the fake European fans, and the Spanish homers. Bottom line is the hype about Rubio is out of control. This just highlights how much he is a media creation. When other players do the same thing as him no one and I mean NO ONE in the US or Europe hears a word about it. And players playing at a young age is nothing new in Europe. All the "he played Euroleague at age 16" hype.............

Players that played at young ages (18 and under) in the Euroleague just off the top of my head:

Sani Becirovic at 18
    Nikos Zisis at 17

I am sure there are numerous other ones, it's just that those two guys just come to mind. Mainly they come to mind because they played at the same position as Rubio. Because one of the other hyped up myths is that "there has never been another European point guard that could play Euroleague as a teenager." So that just makes it stand out even more, for being just more myths and hype. How many NBA fans have ever heard of Becirovic or Zisis? Now compare that to Rubio's hype. How much hype was created in the US by Slam Magazine, ESPN, and Sports Illustrated when Zisis (also a European point guard) played in the Euroleague at age 17? Where were the "Zisis is the new Pistol Pete" and "Zisis is the new Drazen" articles at?

And all this big deal being made right now this season about how "Rubio plays Euroleague at age 19 and that is unheard of in Europe".............yeah well Brandon Jennings played about the same minutes as Rubio plays last year in the Euroleague at age 19, Kostas Papanikolaou is 19 and plays in the Euroleague on just as big or maybe even a bigger club than Rubio plays on, Jan Vesely is 19 and plays in the Euroleague, and so forth. So again, nothing incredibly amazing or unusual about this. How many NBA fans have ever heard of Vesely or Papanikolaou? Now compare that to this insane Rubio hype. Now Papanikolaou is just a rotation player in some games and does not play in some others and Vesely plays on a much weaker team than Rubio.

But the point stands, there is nothing incredible or amazing about Rubio just because he plays 20 minutes a game in the Euroleague at age 19. It's just hype.
    Last edited by Lakas Fan Yo; 12-02-2009 at 04:12 AM.

sergiorodriguez
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Ricky Rubio Is A Hyped Up Media Creation

Sergio Rodriguez is a better pointguard than Ricky Rubio, I said it 10,000 times. People who never saw Rubio play always call me an idiot homer when I say this, but its the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiorodriguez
    Sergio Rodriguez is a better pointguard than Ricky Rubio, I said it 10,000 times. People who never saw Rubio play always call me an idiot homer when I say this, but its the truth.

Spanoulis > Rubio
    Spanoulis > Chris Paul

Right?

Good High School Starter

I've seen almost every single one of Ricky's games this season, both in the ACB and in the Euroleague.

His team, FC Barcelona is undefeated in the Euroleague and is 9-1 in the ACB. With their only loss coming down to the very end. I won't say that's all due to Ricky, Barca is pretty much an all star team, but I will say that whenever Rubio's at the helm they are crushing the opposing team. I wish they kept +/- stats over in Europe..I'm sure Ricky's would be astronomical. He does the things that don't show up in the traditional box score. Making the extra pass, running the offense to perfection, and playing great D.

Yet despite this his box score stats are pretty good..The euroleague does a Ranking stat..which is similar to NBA efficiency..adding up pts,rbs,assts..subtracting TO's and missed shots etc

Rubio ranks 17th in the league in per minute ranking and second amongst PG's..to Diamontidis..

Your Lover Spanoulis is 18th.

http://www.euroleague.net/main/stati...ual/per-minute

Let's be honest here. You are Greek. You are a greek homer. You dislike the Spanish. It must kill you that FC Barcelona is DESTROYING the Euroleague this year.

Decent college freshman Silverbullit's Avatar

Who is Ricky Rubio?

The media can't create the fact that he looked solid against Team USA. With an injury. In the Olympic Gold Medal game. This wasn't some scrimmage where Chris Paul was going to take it easy on him, it was for the whole pot and Rubio held his own.

He didn't dominate, he didn't even have a standout game at all if you check the stats. But if you watch the game he looked like he fit in with the competition, and every now and then you saw flashes of his potential.

If he was as overhyped as you think he is, Chris Paul and Deron Williams should've been ball-hawking him and pressuring him every time up the court. They should've exposed him. But they didn't.

Good High School Starter

He also dominated Tony Parker in a Eurobasket game this summer...at 18 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxed
    He also dominated Tony Parker in a Eurobasket game this summer...at 18 years old.
    where are you watchin these games at? are you over in europe or are you over here in the states?

Roundball_Rock:

"It's the media maaann. They want you to believe Jordan is the GOAT, but he ain't maaaannn. They're getting inside your brain, its all marketing maann."

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    where are you watchin these games at? are you over in europe or are you over here in the states?
    I'm in the US.

ESPN360 is playing almost all of FC Barcelona's Euroleague games this year. FC's next game is at 2:45 EST on Thursday. It's great because if you can't see it live you can always watch the replay anytime you want as long as it is within a few days.

NBA Tv channel also plays a replay of a top Euroleague game each week on saturday afternoons. They usually play either an FC Barcelona or Olympiakos game if you can't see it on ESPN360 and like watching on your television, that's a good option

For ACB games you need to get a live stream. Try myp2p forums.

lillil wayne
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Insignificant. TP has been playing in the NBA for years with 2 rings. Rubio will just be getting acquainted with American players and game style. He will not be running around the league like a kid in an oversea candy store.

Banned

I've seen almost every single one of Ricky's games this season, both in the ACB and in the Euroleague.

His team, FC Barcelona is undefeated in the Euroleague and is 9-1 in the ACB. With their only loss coming down to the very end. I won't say that's all due to Ricky, Barca is pretty much an all star team, but I will say that whenever Rubio's at the helm they are crushing the opposing team. I wish they kept +/- stats over in Europe..I'm sure Ricky's would be astronomical. He does the things that don't show up in the traditional box score. Making the extra pass, running the offense to perfection, and playing great D.

Yet despite this his box score stats are pretty good..The euroleague does a Ranking stat..which is similar to NBA efficiency..adding up pts,rbs,assts..subtracting TO's and missed shots etc

Rubio ranks 17th in the league in per minute ranking and second amongst PG's..to Diamontidis..

Your Lover Spanoulis is 18th.

http://www.euroleague.net/main/stati...ual/per-minute

Let's be honest here. You are Greek. You are a greek homer. You dislike the Spanish. It must kill you that FC Barcelona is DESTROYING the Euroleague this year.

And this is the exact definition of a Rubio homer and a fan boy spreading more myths and lies. The fact is that Rubio is an average point guard in the Euroleague and is only at best the third best player on his team. He's anywhere from Barca's third to sixth best player. Yet here you go making it sound like he's the best point guard in Europe, the MVP of his team and every other load of BS you can make up.
    Last edited by Lakas Fan Yo; 12-02-2009 at 07:12 AM.

I see what your saying, but that's how it goes here- we did president like that- of course entertainment- but really, motiejunas a whole lot better of an nba prospect right? Who is the best non american prospect under 21?

Quote Originally Posted by Lakas Fan Yo
    And this is the exact definition of a Rubio homer and a fan boy spreading more myths and lies. The fact is that Rubio is an average point guard in the Euroleague and is only at best the third best player on his team. Yet here you go making it sound like he's the best point guard in Europe, the MVP of his team and every other load of BS you can make up.
    If he's an average point guard, why did Bar