Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Kobe Bryant on pace for the second worst 3 point shooting season in history!

Kobe upped his shooting to 45.6% from the field.
    Shooting over 45% is pretty remarkable for someone who takes the type of tough shots he does.
    Iverson is the better shot jacker than Kobe.
    But no one really realizes how much of a shot jacker MJ was.
    Jordan averaged well over 20 FGAs in 12 of his 16 seasons.

But hates can keep hating Kobe however they want.
    The shot jacker gave me 5 rings, 3 MVPs?
    Give me the shot jacker.

Decent playground baller

Default Re: Kobe Bryant on pace for the second worst 3 point shooting season in history!

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    Really 30% 3p% isn't even a terrible shot though. It translates to 45% normal fg% Not good, but more efficient then the average jumper Kobe takes.
    I hate when people use all this adjusted stats bs is the 3 points you get for hitting the shot not enough, it's your decision to shoot it no need for extra credit. You know what 30% literally (ie not adjusted) translates to: missing 7 out of every 10. This doesn't go for just Kobe you can only hit the shot or miss it no need to adjust anything that's why they give you 1, 2 or 3 points depending on where you shot the ball. All this eFG% and Per mean absolutely nothing for ANY player.
    Last edited by wpdougie2180; 01-20-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YAWN
    some of the kobe haters could work research for ESPN if they put their effort in that direction. "Rajon Rondo tops the all time list in assists per game for players who have played at least 34 games, have scored 17 points less than 40% of the time, and have only played 6 games on Sundays." -ESPN
    I don't get this. Why the over exaggeration?. It's not even close to that at all. Kobe's on pace to have the 2nd lowest percentage above 4 attempts a game. That isn't even a crazy statistical thing like PER witch I find extremely stupid. It's simple 3 point % and attempts. Is it a big deal? Not really as others pointed out. Not sure why everyone is slamming the info tho and acting like It's John Hollinger in the flesh.

Pretty sure 3 point attempts and %'s have been used since the 80's

Meanwhile he's near the top of every midrange shooting stat in attempts and efficiency.

When the Lakers play well, his 3pt attempts go down. When they have to play catchup, that's when most of Kobe's 3 point attempts go up. It's not end of the shot clock 3's or end of quarter 3's that are hurting him necessarily.

He'll probably hit a hot streak before the end of the year and end up around 33%. Big whoop.

What you should be looking at is him shooting around 48% for the past 2 months.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by wpdougie2180
    I hate when people use all this adjusted stats bs is the 3 points you get for hitting the shot not enough, it's your decision to shoot it no need for extra credit. You know what 30% literally (ie not adjusted) translates to: missing 7 out of every 10. This doesn't go for just Kobe you can only hit the shot or miss it no need to adjust anything that's why the give you 1, 2 or 3 points depending on where you shot the ball. All this eFG% and Per mean absolutely nothing for ANY player.
    You clearly have very little understanding of why these advanced statistics are a useful tool in judging a player. Nothing can replace watching a game, but looking at advanced statistics will give you a better understanding of the quality of a player than what simple statistics give you.

If you looked at two stat sheets and saw that Player A grabbed 15 rebounds per game and player B grabbed 13 rebounds per game, you would naturally assume that player A was a better rebounder. If you instead looked into advanced statistics and saw that Player A only grabbed 17% of all rebounds available while Player B grabbed 21%... it sheds a lot of light on which player is a better rebounder.

Take that concept and apply it to how a player gets his points. If two players both scored 20 points, Player A being 10/20FG, Player B being 5/15 and making 5 3's and 5 FT's out of 5, which player had a better game?

Most people would say Player A because omfg, he had a 50% FG%...

Then you think about it and Player B drew more fouls during that game, which is very valuable itself. I would take Player B.

Quote Originally Posted by beermonsteroo
    Kobe Bryant is currently on pace to attempt above 330 3 point shots this season (4,1pg) while shooting 31.5%. Of all NBA players in history who recorded more then 330 shots a season(>4pg) only Iverson has had a lower 3p%. 30,8% in 05. So even the worst three point shooting season in history is not impossible!

Kobe Kobe Kobe
    Garbage thread title.
    What makes 4.0 3 pointers attempted more important than 2.0 or 3.0 or 5.0 to qualify? What makes 330 shots more important than 200 or 300 or 400?
    So, Kobe at 31.5% shooting is close to supposedly having the worst shooting season, yet Barkley, at a career 538/2020 (26.6%) figure and only 1 season above 31.5%, is excluded? LeBron already had seasons with 63/217, 99/310, 113/359. Does this constitute too little shooting for you? Wade shooting 88/278 in 2009, 73/243 in 2010 and 37/121 in 40 games this season is also excused?

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    You clearly have very little understanding of why these advanced statistics are a useful tool in judging a player. Nothing can replace watching a game, but looking at advanced statistics will give you a better understanding of the quality of a player than what simple statistics give you.

If you looked at two stat sheets and saw that Player A grabbed 15 rebounds per game and player B grabbed 13 rebounds per game, you would naturally assume that player A was a better rebounder. If you instead looked into advanced statistics and saw that Player A only grabbed 17% of all rebounds available while Player B grabbed 21%... it sheds a lot of light on which player is a better rebounder.

Take that concept and apply it to how a player gets his points. If two players both scored 20 points, Player A being 10/20FG, Player B being 5/15 and making 5 3's and 5 FT's out of 5, which player had a better game?

Most people would say Player A because omfg, he had a 50% FG%...

Then you think about it and Player B drew more fouls during that game, which is very valuable itself. I would take Player B.
    Like I said all advance stats are for geeks watch the games.You don't get extra credit for all the extra bs that comes from calculators. The difference between 2 and 4 points or 2 and 3 rebounds is nothing, The stats don't tell when any of those things occurred just that they did occur. People get so rapped up in numbers they forget what they actually mean. Stats whether advanced or not don't tell what happened in a game, they don't take in to account situation, score, refs, bogus (supestar) calls, or any of the little things that players do that effect winning. Take for example the controversy about the rondo assist (Boston fan here) earlier this week how are we to know that the stats are even accurate?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eat Like A Bosh
    Kobe upped his shooting to 45.6% from the field.
    Shooting over 45% is pretty remarkable for someone who takes the type of tough shots he does.
    Iverson is the better shot jacker than Kobe.
    But no one really realizes how much of a shot jacker MJ was.
    Jordan averaged well over 20 FGAs in 12 of his 16 seasons.

But hates can keep hating Kobe however they want.
    The shot jacker gave me 5 rings, 3 MVPs?
    Give me the shot jacker.
    wat

Banned

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by XxSMSxX
    wat
    1 Regular Season MVP + 2 Finals MVPs = 3 MVPs

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad

if they gave out playoff mvps like in hockey. he might have 3 instead of 2

kobe was the most consistantly great performer in 2001 for rounds 1-4

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by griffmoney1784
    if they gave out playoff mvps like in hockey. he might have 3 instead of 2

kobe was the most consistantly great performer in 2001 for rounds 1-4
    Yea he really played great throughout those playoffs. He and Shaq just dominated everyone easily

Quote Originally Posted by beermonsteroo
    Kobe Bryant is currently on pace to attempt above 330 3 point shots this season (4,1pg) while shooting 31.5%. Of all NBA players in history who recorded more then 330 shots a season(>4pg) only Iverson has had a lower 3p%. 30,8% in 05. So even the worst three point shooting season in history is not impossible!

Kobe Kobe Kobe
    You mean the same Kobe who's averaging 24.5 / 5.6 / 5.5 on 48% shooting in 34 minutes per game? I mean seriously, I am not a very big Kobe fan and one of his biggest critics but this thread just screams fail fail fail.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kellogs4toniee
    You mean the same Kobe who's averaging 24.5 / 5.6 / 5.5 on 48% shooting in 34 minutes per game? I mean seriously, I am not a very big Kobe fan and one of his biggest critics but this thread just screams fail fail fail.
    whered you get those stats lol

im pretty sure kobes averaging 25.1ppg, 5.1reb, 4.7ast on 45.7% fg's in 33.12 minutes

Decent playground baller number23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad

Yeah doesn't work that way. 1 mvp