Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Re: Dwight Howard and his greatness

Quote Originally Posted by BFRESH44
    I remember when Zo gave 50 to the Bullets....

Dwight couldn't get 50 if his life depended on it.

Prime Zo >>>> Dwight.
    His career high is 45 and he couldn't get 50 if his life depended on it?

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by alexandreben
    true these two are comparable, but Zo...something from his heart, inside, that really helps him to exceed his own expectation, which i don't see anything from Howard, i think this is the part that most of the fans focus on "they're not even close", isn't it?
    This is a fair post and I agree that fans factor in demeanor, but I'll also add nostalgia when people say it's not even close. I'm glad you said they're comparable, though. I said, I'd probably give the edge to Mourning now, but those saying they aren't close really aren't looking at the most important thing, effectiveness on the court.

yes that's a good point, however, "you fight with a great fighter makes you a great fighter", at least a better fighter, sadly, i just don't see any great fighter(center) in the league right now, even one single "enemy" Yao Ming can't stay healthy... wut's more, a man's greatness can be measured by his enemies, no bright future for Howard if you want to compare him to some epic great centers in the history......Howard is done.
    Lets be honest, though. It's not like Zo was out there holding his own vs a lot of the great centers. Shaq, Robinson and Ewing dominated Mourning. Oddly, Mourning did a very good job defending Hakeem, but I think that was a better match up for him because they're closer in size. Dwight also struggles vs bigger players.

Quote Originally Posted by BFRESH44
    I remember when Zo gave 50 to the Bullets....

Dwight couldn't get 50 if his life depended on it.

Prime Zo >>>> Dwight.
    Dwight had a 45 point game so how can you say he couldn't get 50 if his life depended on it? Man, I swear most people who criticize Howard haven't even followed his career. People act like he's Ben Wallace offensively.

sort of??!! Zo's shooting is so much better than Howard! the defensive skills, not to mention a heart of a champ, i really don't like Howard's sily smilling, what's he smiling for all the time?? it looks like he lacks of heart
    I'm sick of people complaining about his smiling.

He's never smiling when it's close or when they are down or when they lose. How the hell does that look like he lacks heart? I could see if he were pouting...

GTFOH, now you're just reaching. If you don't like him, just say it. You don't have to come up with ridiculous excuses. No one questioned why Magic was smiling all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JDKMagic
    His career high is 45 and he couldn't get 50 if his life depended on it?

The guy's not even in his prime yet, and people are saying this.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by zORi
    I'm sick of people complaining about his smiling.

He's never smiling when it's close or when they are down or when they lose. How the hell does that look like he lacks heart? I could see if he were pouting...

GTFOH, now you're just reaching. If you don't like him, just say it. You don't have to come up with ridiculous excuses. No one questioned why Magic was smiling all the time.
    remember Howard and Carter smiled in the second half all the time in elimination game in 09'-10' season? that's the elimination game! what the hell they're smiling for?? go to youtube i'm sure it should be there, think about leaders like Jordan, Bird, etc, they don't give that kind of sily smiling all the time, they're fighters, won't give up till the last minute, 95' Jordan made a horrible mistake and Bulls was eliminated by Orlando, i didn't see him smile... i didn't see Bird smile, i didn't see Ewing smile, i didn't see Zo smile, of course unless if you want to argue Isiah's smiling... yes he smiles and then rips opponent's heart on court...

Made that high school varsity squad Shaolinswords's Avatar

How about this 1 star & its greatness

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    This is a fair post and I agree that fans factor in demeanor, but I'll also add nostalgia when people say it's not even close. I'm glad you said they're comparable, though. I said, I'd probably give the edge to Mourning now, but those saying they aren't close really aren't looking at the most important thing, effectiveness on the court.

Lets be honest, though. It's not like Zo was out there holding his own vs a lot of the great centers. Shaq, Robinson and Ewing dominated Mourning. Oddly, Mourning did a very good job defending Hakeem, but I think that was a better match up for him because they're closer in size. Dwight also struggles vs bigger players.

Dwight had a 45 point game so how can you say he couldn't get 50 if his life depended on it? Man, I swear most people who criticize Howard haven't even followed his career. People act like he's Ben Wallace offensively.
    Zo has better shooting and defense, Howard has better rebounding and athletism. The real difference of these two players lies in the inside.

My point is, you player with great opponents, they drive you to player harder and eventually you will player better, if Howard played in the 90', he will play better than he does right now, because with so many great centers as competitors, he will drive himself to practice harder and learn a lot of things from "old guys", i remember Moses Malone is the teacher of Hakeem and Sir Charles, Howard certainly will learn a lot by matchuping with Hakeem, Ewing, Shaq...

remember Howard and Carter smiled in the second half all the time in elimination game in 09'-10' season? that's the elimination game! what the hell they're smiling for?? go to youtube i'm sure it should be there, think about leaders like Jordan, Bird, etc, they don't give that kind of sily smiling all the time, they're fighters, won't give up till the last minute, 95' Jordan made a horrible mistake and Bulls was eliminated by Orlando, i didn't see him smile... i didn't see Bird smile, i didn't see Ewing smile, i didn't see Zo smile, of course unless if you want to argue Isiah's smiling... yes he smiles and then rips opponent's heart on court...
    That's bullsh*t.

Yeah, Vince was smiling and laughing with Nate Robinson and congratulating him when it was over. But we have all established that Vince's whole heart isn't in the game anymore, this is no secret.

Dwight was near tears when he was taken out of the game. He gave a sarcastic smile when the fans were chanting "HOW-ARD SUCKS!", but other than that, you are just making things up.

Very good NBA starter

I'd personally take prime Mourning (at 24-25) over current Howard (24-25 in Dec), but that's just right now, I can't say it'll be that way forever. I don't even think somebody preferring Zo should ruffle any feathers among Howard/Magic fans, he was a great player who played with intensity and was a multiple all-star. None the less, my preference has nothing to do with predicted parallels, or comparisons, or similarities, etc. Howard and Zo are different people, different players, and always will be. Let Dwight be Dwight. The story's about Shaq's and Zo's development are interesting, but I don't necessarily see the correlation (and yes I grew up watching all of them) other than them all being all-star centers, physical, and shotblockers. Howard never went to college like those two, or played in a more physical league, and didn't have a natural (at an "elite" level I mean) touch on offense coming into the league (hell, they eventually changed the rules because of Shaq). I like what Zo did with the Hornets (even if they didn't go that far), and for the Heat in improving them 10 wins in 1996 with an average cast, unfortunately he ran into Jordan's Bulls in the first round.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    I'd personally take prime Mourning (at 24-25) over current Howard (24-25 in Dec), but that's just right now, I can't say it'll be that way forever. I don't even think somebody preferring Zo should ruffle any feathers among Howard/Magic fans, he was a great player who played with intensity and was a multiple all-star. None the less, my preference has nothing to do with predicted parallels, or comparisons, or similarities, etc. Howard and Zo are different people, different players, and always will be. Let Dwight be Dwight. The story's about Shaq's and Zo's development are interesting, but I don't necessarily see the correlation (and yes I grew up watching all of them) other than them all being all-star centers, physical, and shotblockers. Howard never went to college like those two, or played in a more physical league, and didn't have a natural (at an "elite" level I mean) touch on offense coming into the league (hell, they eventually changed the rules because of Shaq). I like what Zo did with the Hornets (even if they didn't go that far), and for the Heat in improving them 10 wins in 1996 with an average cast, unfortunately he ran into Jordan's Bulls in the first round.
    It's not close, zo>dwight.

how can xompare a guy who doesn't know playing basketball (he obviously has an extraordinary body, that's all, no skills, no shot, no talent) and Alonzo Mourning.

this site is full of morons, that's crazy.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    Good post, as I said, I'd Zo a slight edge as well and as I mentioned, the comparisons between Dwight and Shaq aren't so much in their games, but personalities, I think Shaq was more ruthless on the court, but both seem to lack focus at times.

Offensively, I don't think we'll see a big man on Shaq's level for a long, long time, if we ever do again and the only one who IMO was as good or better offensively was Kareem who again, we'll probably never see another player like.

Neither Dwight or Zo have/had that type of offensive dominance, nor are/were they particularly close.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3ShowMVP
    It's not close, zo>dwight.
    You never saw prime Alonzo Mourning play, you started watching the NBA in 2003, you're just an irrational Dwight Howard hater. Again, i give Zo a slight edge, butto say it's not close is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by necya
    how can xompare a guy who doesn't know playing basketball (he obviously has an extraordinary body, that's all, no skills, no shot, no talent) and Alonzo Mourning.
    you can't have no talent and average 21/14/3, finish top 3 in MVP 3 consecutive years before age 25, lead a team to the finals, lead the league in shot blocking, FG% and win defensive player of the year awards without talent.

And no skills? Dwight is obviously a very skilled rebounder and a skilled shot blocker. He can block shots with either hand and he obviously has good timing even if he's not that disciplined. If rebounding was all athleticism, then Amare Stoudemire would be grabbing 13-14 boards per game as well. Hell, Amare also is nowhere near the shot blocker Dwight is, same with Tyson Chandler and Shawn Kemp, who was as athletic as Dwight was not as good of a rebounder despite being good in that category and nowhere near the defensive player.

And if Dwight has no offensive skill, then why did Tyson Chandler turn out so much worse than him? Chandler wasn't quite as athletic, but he's a few inches taller and very athletic himself. And why is that Javale McGee is so far behind Dwight at the same stage in their careers?

Oh, the irony.

RocketGreatness? Again?

Or just an idiot? If you think the 2xDPOY, ALL-NBA 1st Team, Top 3 MVP player has no skills, shot, or talent, then you are ignorant.

I won't even call you stupid, because to be stupid, you need to at least have a clue and be wrong. You're just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by zORi
    RocketGreatness? Again?

Or just an idiot? If you think the 2xDPOY, ALL-NBA 1st Team, Top 3 MVP player has no skills, shot, or talent, then you are ignorant.

I won't even call you stupid, because to be stupid, you need to at least have a clue and be wrong. You're just ignorant.

he doesn't know shooting the ball, laughable from the FT line, ridiculous in attacking the basket, without moves. with his athletic body he can run the floor as a trailer, that's all. what a great center ! he is named in all nba first team cause there is no one to name as the nba suck so much today. howard is not the best, he is the less bad. but only guys who have seen the 80's plers can understand. he led his team to the finals haha, the magic have a very good overall team...

the orlando magic have made the finals twice in 95 and 09.
    look at the 2 teams : the players of the starting 5 in 95 own each players of the one of 09.
    Last edited by necya; 07-28-2010 at 05:14 PM.

all nba first team, yeah there is no good centers in this league. your era sucks.
    your center is not the best, he is the less bad.
    How about leading the league in blocked shots in a perimeter player's league?

What about DPOY (I see you left that out) which is open to everyone? Cmon man, that excuse is tired. At least try to be original.