Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I usually hit open layups

Default Does Jamal Crawford have "weird" handles?

The way he's able to pull off some of his signature moves is incredible,its like the ball is attached to him, and almost no current NBA player can mimic his moves.

Default Re: Does Jamal Crawford have "weird" handles?

kobe has better handles than jamal crawford, easily

I don't get picked last at the park anymore xoneatom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selrahc
    kobe has better handles than jamal crawford, easily
    stfu

Warriors Til I Die LT Ice Cream's Avatar

Dunno what exactly you mean by "weird", but yeah I always thought his handle seemed kind of loose. Like he dribbles high and kind of far from his body, but nobody can seem to strip him either.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by LT Ice Cream
    Dunno what exactly you mean by "weird", but yeah I always thought his handle seemed kind of loose. Like he dribbles high and kind of far from his body, but nobody can seem to strip him either.
    He has a playground/blacktop kind of ball handle and besides kenny anderson he is the most successful one to translate it into an effective style of dribble in the NBA. Half of the kids in NY playgrounds can dribble just as good but 99% of them will not make it into the league.

The only other ones that had this type of handle on a proffessional level has been rafer Alston, and shamgod wells. To a lesser extent you can say iverson but he only had the crossover

Local High School Star

This style of ball handle is best defended by not paying attention to the ball not matter how tempting it looks that you can steal. To reach is the worst thing because I can guarantee you that he has a counter move and from there prepare yourself to be embarrassed. NY ballhandlers work on their ball handles with as much dedication as a martial artist

Flashy, but overrated. I often see Jamal do 3 or 4 moves and end up with a semi-contested jumper or floater. On the other hand, there are players with far less fancy dribbling that get by their defender for higher percentage shots, using only one or two basic moves.

I dunno, but that Kevin Durant sure does shoot a lot of free throws.

Banned

cp3 and irving are just as good imo. Crawford is more fancy and has a better crossover

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Flashy, but overrated. I often see Jamal do 3 or 4 moves and end up with a semi-contested jumper or floater. On the other hand, there are players with far less fancy dribbling that get by their defender for higher percentage shots, using only one or two basic moves.
    I wouldn't so "overrated" fits because he can break people down 1 on 1 better than pretty much anybody in the NBA outside of Kyrie and CP3. Although I agree with your point which is often times the 3-4 fancy moves are more flash than substance. Like you said one or two basic moves would have a similar result which tells me he does it mostly for style points, nothing wrong with that.

He has shot 42% from the field for his whole career. Who cares how good his "handles" are? Does anybody really want the ball in his hands any more than is necessary? I don't see him playing PG for anyone, or starting.

To make the distinction between streetball ballhandlers and NBA ballhandlers and why one does not succeed as the other is simple.

Streetball ballhandlers are east-west dribblers. They can make lots of fancy moves and move side to side but as long as the defender shades them they cannot get to the bucket.

NBA ballhandlers are north-south ballhandlers. Their only goal is to get to the bucket. While being able to go side to side is useful its not necessary. The big part of this is the stop n go game/change of pace/ timing and rhythm, which incidentally, streetball players suck at since they are iso ball hogs.

Crawford sort of combines both but in the NBA generally there are few east-west ballhandlers as that is highly frowned upon by coaches.