Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Breaking: Chris Paul Reportedly Wants Out Of Houston

Didn't you want the money Paul? Oh now you want to win?

With this stupid contract who's going to risk taking this old washed up midget?

Link

Default Re: Breaking: Chris Paul Reportedly Wants Out Of Houston

Nobody is going to take him, imo. He will have to be a buyout for far less than he's owed if he actually wants to leave.

I've been wrong before but my money is heavily on him being with Houston in 2020.

Houston are in trouble.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shogon
    Nobody is going to take him, imo. He will have to be a buyout for far less than he's owed if he actually wants to leave.

I've been wrong before but my money is heavily on him being with Houston in 2020.

Once Kemba walks...

Why wouldnt the Hornets take him and buy him out if Kemba walks?

Isnt it better for tanking/rebuilding to have Pauls empty contract for 3 years instead of Batum, Williams, Zeller, or MKG(in whatever combo they go) possibly helping you win games you dont wanna win for the same money?

You rather pay Batum and Zeller 42 million in 2 years or Paul 41 to not be there so you can win 11 games and get a top pick? His final seasons deal comes in a year the Hornets literally have nobody under contract for yet. If they want they will only be on the hook for whatever they extend their last 2 picks for plus their draft picks between then and now and minimum contract one season deal roster filler.

Against a 120ish million salary cap with a 108 million salary floor whats Pauls 44 million plus 6 guys on rookie deals and whatever likely low paid roster filler you add?

That might not even get you to the salary floor. It wont get you near the cap.

People(not you for the record) keep looking at his contract like its some actual expense for an owner to pay when the league making so much money the salary floor can easily make it free....because the alternative is paying a 4 million dollar bonus to 10 other guys for nothing.

People so busy laughing at his deal they dont realize that to the right team it literally means nothing but an easier rebuild for the same money they would be paying guys they dont need.

The Cavs will be shedding 90 million in salary next summer and going into a season with a 118 million dollar cap and 42 million in contracts. What do you do when rebuilding and 60 million below the salary floor? I doubt they bank on signing big prime free agents. You can take on a year of dead money for a couple picks.

Pauls deal is about to be nothing to absorb for a lot of teams. Its gonna be trade for some overpaid vet a team wants rid of for draft picks or pay role players a 30-60 million dollar bonus for these rebuilding teams. I dont know about you...but if I gotta spend it anyway I might as well trade for a Paul/Wiggins/Conley/Wall/whatever and buy him out while I get a pick or two in the deal.

If 40 million is leaving my account no matter what I do id rather it leave in exchange for picks and shedding my own overpaid vets I want gone to help me lose.

Those kinda teams wouldnt trade for paul to play him....but to buy him out?

Why not?

You get a worse lineup to tank with....spend no additional money...get a couple picks....rockets get out of his deal for some younger players or just...get out of the deal if thats what they want....and Paul gets bought out to play anywhere he wants to try to win.

Who loses?

Who loses anything at all?

The salary floor is the most under discussed aspect of todays monster contracts. It doesnt MATTER what he makes if you have to pay it anyway.

To a rebuilding team there is nobody better than Chris Paul to help you clear out overpaid vets before you buy him out for a little less than you would have had to pay anyway.

If you cop a late first rounder too...all the better.

Yeah but is Kemba walking? I don't think so. Kemba isn't leaving unless Charlotte wants Kemba to leave, so it would seem.

Just one of many many options. Just call a team thats in a true rebuild. The Cavs could trade Love and thompson for Paul straight up. Let Love go shoot 11 threes a game on the Rockets and they buy out Paul for a little less than hes owed. What are the Cavs doing with Kevin Love on a 5 year deal? Might as well have Paul for 4. Arent signing a big name FA anyway. Being 60 million under the salary floor after next year means you have to waste money no matter what. Either sign some free agents to help you win more than you want as you try to get lucky in the lottery...or pay 10 scrubs 6 million extra each in a end of season check.

Pauls 40 million doesnt matter. Its no actual extra money. Get rockets picks...**** it.

Look over the next 2-3 years cap numbers. A lot of teams are gonna have to throw obscene contracts at nobodies like 2016 or just pay bonus checks. Given those options...why not take someones trash contract and buy a guy out? You give up overpaid vets....the buyout is less than you would otherwise pay....you lose more games to tank...

Downside?

Is there one?

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

I could see the Celtics dealing Gordon Hayward for him.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Just one of many many options. Just call a team thats in a true rebuild. The Cavs could trade Love and thompson for Paul straight up. Let Love go shoot 11 threes a game on the Rockets and they buy out Paul for a little less than hes owed. What are the Cavs doing with Kevin Love on a 5 year deal? Might as well have Paul for 4. Arent signing a big name FA anyway. Being 60 million under the salary floor after next year means you have to waste money no matter what. Either sign some free agents to help you win more than you want as you try to get lucky in the lottery...or pay 10 scrubs 6 million extra each in a end of season check.

Pauls 40 million doesnt matter. Its no actual extra money. Get rockets picks...**** it.

Look over the next 2-3 years cap numbers. A lot of teams are gonna have to throw obscene contracts at nobodies like 2016 or just pay bonus checks. Given those options...why not take someones trash contract and buy a guy out? You give up overpaid vets....the buyout is less than you would otherwise pay....you lose more games to tank...

Downside?

Is there one?
    I definitely agree with your line of thinking, but do you really think the Rockets are going to give up picks to swap Paul for Love?

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

Downside?

Is there one?
    edit: I realize I made a mistake in thinking about this initially. I gotta agree with DMAVS though. But who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    I would be surprised if Hayward doesn't have a better year this year than last, so I think that's a mistake. Interesting thought, though. We will see!
    Last edited by Shogon; 06-16-2019 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    Interesting idea.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Interesting idea.
    Hayward would play center for Houston

Yes, there is downside. Even if you're paying scrubs extra millions, your cap space is still free. If you take a guy on a trade and waive him, he's eating up your cap for not even being there. Future flexibility is gone until his deal expires.

You're probably right but I just don't see it happening.
    Who do you imagine the Hornets, Cavs, or Hawks imagine they are signing in the next couple years? How about Memphis? The Kings?

They likely to be hunting for big name prime stars? And more importantly....are the big names like Giannis, Beal, Westbrook, Lillard, Embiid, and Oladipo going to those teams? Maybe one of them blows up and becomes a destination...but more likely?

They pay a lot of ok guys too much money like the Hornets did Batum, you guys did Fornier, and on and on it went....just like 2016. Think about how much you need to spend to reach a 100+ million salary floor in order to not be giving money away.

The young teams can only spend that by overpaying non superstars who will do nothing but get them to 36 wins instead of 19 and a better draft pick.

And for some of them? The guys they give up are on deals just as long as Paul. They are losing the money and not having the cap space no matter what. Might as well suck while doing it.

You're right in a situation like Love's contract... I misunderstood.

But in terms of spending money for the hell of it because I'm far beneath the floor? No. Keep your options open as long and as often as possible. You never know what happens from one season to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Hayward would play center for Houston
    Tucker, when they go small.

Made that high school varsity squad

He