Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Which players had to ball make it out of the hood?

Isiah Thomas, he explains it very well in the 30 for 30 on the Bad Boys.

2Pac also

Banned

Rodney.

I don't really know the life stories of all players, but Wade is up there.

Any player from the 60's and 70's I guess had to go through a lot to get to the league, from more recent players KD, LeBron, and especially Caron Butler I remember had a great struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    Any player from the 60's and 70's I guess had to go through a lot to get to the league, from more recent players KD, LeBron, and especially Caron Butler I remember had a great struggle.
    I though KD had a pretty decent upbringing. Didn't know that he had a rough upbringing. Can you post it?

I agree with you about players from the '60's. With all the civil rights stuff going on. Must've been real tough.

Here's Wade's, BTW (from Wiki):

Dwyane Wade was born on the South Side of Chicago, Illinois, to JoLinda and Dwyane Wade, Sr. In 1977, JoLinda, at the age of 18, already had two children. Wade has described his upbringing in Chicago as being very difficult. Wade stated that "[his] mom was on drugs and [his] family was in the gang environment, so it was a rough childhood." At a very young age, Wade already witnessed police raids and found dead bodies several times in a nearby garbage can. When he was only 4 months old, his parents separated - and would later divorce. Jolinda was given custody of the two children, and she moved to her mother's house with them. The family struggled financially, and it was around that time when Jolinda started dealing drugs. His mom was addicted to several substances including cigarettes, alcohol, heroin, and cocaine. JoLinda would get high with friends at her home, even in the presence of her children. In an interview with ESPN, Wade said "I've seen the needles laying around the house. I've seen my mother shoot up before. I've seen a lot of things my mother didn't even know I'd seen as a kid." At the age of 6, he recalls police - with guns drawn - raiding his home as they searched for his mother. When Wade turned 8 years old, his older sister, Tragil, tricked him - by telling him they were going to the movies - into living with his father, a former Army sergeant, and stepmother in a nearby neighborhood. Wade would still occasionally visit his mom. A year later, his father moved the family to Robbins, Illinois.[3] After moving to Robbins, Wade didn't see his mother for two years. During this time, JoLinda was able to access a free supply of drugs by volunteering to be a tester - i.e., someone who tests street drugs for impurities before the dealers try to sell them. JoLinda was hospitalized and nearly died after she mistakenly injected herself with LSD. In 1994, JoLinda was arrested for possession of crack cocaine with intent to sell and locked up in Cook County Jail. Wade, at the age of 10, reunited with his mom by talking with her at Cook County Jail through a glass panel over a telephone. JoLinda served 23 months in prison for her crimes, but while serving her second sentence in 1997, she failed to report to prison while on work release.[4]

Wade turned to sports, especially basketball and football, to avoid the temptations of participating in drug and gang-related activities. Wade's mom and dad would often take him to the park to play basketball. He cites one of his older sisters, Tragil, as the individual most responsible for his childhood upbringing and for steering him in the proper direction.[5] As a child growing up in the Chicago area, Wade idolized Chicago Bulls star Michael Jordan,[6][7] and has said he patterns his game after him.

Not airballing my layups anymore

DRose?

Ibaka and MBenga fled the Congo during war

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMax
    JJ Redick
    Kevin Love
    Gordon Hayward
    Lol I'm working around where JJ went to high school. No ghetto.

I know you're joking (obv) but Love grew up wealthy too.

Bronbron balled his way out of the hood. John Wall too.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Dion Waiters

Any good documentary about this subject?

Afflalo is from compton, he actually wrote about his childhood in an players Tribune article, grew up around the same time as kendrick
    I believe tyson Chandler is from compton as well

Quote Originally Posted by blablabla
    Afflalo is from compton, he actually wrote about his childhood in an players Tribune article, grew up around the same time as kendrick
    I believe tyson Chandler is from compton as well
    The correct term is "straight outta Compton".

Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

dam i respect the **** outta wade now

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    I though KD had a pretty decent upbringing. Didn't know that he had a rough upbringing. Can you post it?

I agree with you about players from the '60's. With all the civil rights stuff going on. Must've been real tough.

Here's Wade's, BTW (from Wiki):
    Well I know his dad left right after he was born, and him and his three siblings were raised by his single mom living in a poor neighbourhood. I don't have the particulars but his story pretty much has all the elements of a struggle.