Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Dwyane Wade vs. Tracy McGrady at their peaks

Who do you guys think was the better player between these two when they were in their prime?

I'm not sure what most people would classify as Wade's peak but most people classify McGrady's peak from '01-'05.

I actually think McGrady's peak should only be '01-'03 because he wasn't that great or special in '04 and in '05. He was in tier 1 from '01-'03 but in tier 2 in '04 and '05, at least in my opinion.

Banned

Default Re: Dwyane Wade vs. Tracy McGrady at their peaks

Peak: McGrady

Prime: Wade

/thread.

Wade's peak season of 09 is one the greatest seasons in NBA history. I feel bad that dude ran out of gas but he was MJ that year.

T-Mac all day

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease nbaballllller's Avatar

the dude with the ring and fmvp

This is tough for me. I don't think there is any version of D-Wade sans 2009 (and even then, I don't think he had the scoring-skills Mac did) that could match Tracy from 2002-2003. Guy was a freaking monster, and put up his numbers pre rule-changes.
    Last edited by kuniva_dAMiGhTy; 05-24-2012 at 01:15 AM.

Banned

09 Wade vs 03 McGrady is very very close to me. Actually, excluding the fact that Wade's prime has lasted a bit longer already, they are very very close prime vs prime too.

Just 1 Rational Fan lbj23clutch's Avatar

I'll take the guy whose proven to be a winner. Wade. He's more efficient on offense and a superior defender. He also has better intangibles. Hate to say it, but T Mac is a straight up lazy ass. Much like a Carmelo Anthony. Hall of Fame talent, but poor work ethic.
    Last edited by lbj23clutch; 05-24-2012 at 01:23 AM.

Wade. Not even close.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lbj23clutch
    I'll take the guy whose proven to be a winner. Wade. He's more efficient on offense and a superior defender. He also has better intangibles. Hate to say it, but T Mac is a straight up lazy ass. Much like a Carmelo Anthony. Hall of Fame talent, but poor work ethic.
    This is really the only reason why this is a hard choice for me. I think in terms of just pure abilities and on-court abilities, McGrady at his peak was better than Wade at his but on-court abilities is not everything.

You also forgot to mention how McGrady was an awful teammate too. I honestly think McGrady is the worst teammate you could possibly have. He always blamed others for his failures especially when you talk about his 1st round exits. Every year he got hosed and eliminated in the first round, he would tell the media how his teammates suck and how he had nothing to do with the loss. There is a reason why every team he was apart of (when he was good) pretty much hates him. Toronto boos him every time he walks in the arena, same goes for Orlando and the same goes for Houston.

McGrady doesn't just have no intangibles, he has negative intangibles. He wasn't that bad during his peak in '01-'03 though but he did have some issues such as throwing his teammates under the bus. He also quit on his team although he quit on his team in 2004 which was outside of his peak years. McGrady was just really immature and practically a child and he has honestly never figured it out or changed because he is still like this today.

His weak work-ethic as you mentioned is the biggest reason why McGrady pretty much became incredibly overrated in Houston and pretty much done half way in his tenure with Houston. McGrady during his Magic years was very thin and very light and he was a freak of nature in terms of athleticism and explosion. In Houston, he became huge and practically fat due to the weak work-ethic and because of this he wasn't as explosive or as athletic anymore which robbed him from a lot of his abilities. He was very dependent on his athleticism. Even if you wanted to say he got big and fat in Houston because of he added muscle, it doesn't matter because McGrady didn't play in the post much anyways.
    Last edited by StateOfMind12; 05-24-2012 at 01:43 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Good High School Starter

Tough choice, guy who won a finals MVP and a ring or a guy who never even won a playoff series.

Tough indeed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by iDefend5
    Tough choice, guy who won a finals MVP and a ring or a guy who never even won a playoff series.

Tough indeed.
    Responding to your own thread? Weak. Unless you start trolling yourself. Then I approve.

tmac would crush wade if played vs in their primes...

T-Mac was the better pure scorer. Wade was the better defender. Both are good passers.

I'd probably take Wade for the intangibles, but it's close.