Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Re: You cant punch the ball??

Is it that hard to look up the rules before posting?

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_10...av=ArticleList

Section V-Strike the Ball
    a. A player shall not kick the ball or strike it with the fist.
    b. Kicking the ball or striking it with any part of the leg is a violation when it is an intentional act. The ball accidentally striking the foot, the leg or fist is not a violation.
    PENALTY:
    (1) If the violation is by the offense, the ball is awarded to the opposing team at the sideline nearest the spot of the violation but no nearer to the base-line than the free throw line extended.
    (2) If the violation is by the defense while the ball is in play, the offensive team retains possession of the ball at the sideline nearest the spot of the violation but no nearer the baseline than the foul line extended.
    (3) If the violation occurs during a throw-in, the opposing team retains possession at the spot of the original throw-in with all privileges, if any, remaining.

Yeah it's a real rule. I've seen it called before. Not in an NBA game though.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Maybe they're afraid of the ball going wild and hitting a fan or something? You ever punched a ball? Not exactly accurate.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by RealKnowledge
    Your a jack ass hahaha
    Is that really supposed to be a insult?
    Reggie Miller did not say it was made up quit making ish up.
    Your a clown for thinking the ref made that up.
    He probably wanted to give Miami a chance to come back
    Scrub
    Wow, you're a complete retard. Its "an insult" and "You're a clown" If you're going to try and make someone look bad, at least do it to where it doesn't make YOU look like an idiot.

And Reggie Miller most certainly did say "The ref's making up rules now" I made that up

NBA lottery pick

Well, thats a new one by me. Had no idea that was a rule, but then again, I haven't seen many players in the NBA make a "punch-pass" lol. Apologies to the ref.

Is it that hard not to be a jackass? Yes, I'm talking to you Hammertime.

We already know that punching the ball is against the rules, I just want to know why. Take your condescending and redundant self somewhere else.

I seen it called in a lakers game before.

The NBA is afraid that player will start throwing punches..miss... and hit another player...

its not that that big a deal... just open your hand

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    Is it that hard not to be a jackass? Yes, I'm talking to you Hammertime.

We already know that punching the ball is against the rules, I just want to know why. Take your condescending and redundant self somewhere else.
    If you don't have enough common sense to figure out why a sport played with your hands open would frown upon a closed fist, you're a moron.

What's next? Why can't I pick up the ball and just toss it over in volleyball?

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by RealKnowledge
    Yeah cause 5 people already posted a source that it is a rule.
    Feel stupid now?
    This guy is a clown
    The refs are making up rules
    What a moron.

I already admitted I didn't know it was a rule, I was going off of what I've never seen and what Reggie said (even though listening to Reggie was a mistake in the first place lol). Then I admitted it was wrong and gave my apologies towards the ref.

Get a life, kid.

I knew you couldn't punch it, though it looked like TA slapped it.

RealKnowledge
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by MK2V1GP
    What a moron.

I already admitted I didn't know it was a rule, I was going off of what I've never seen and what Reggie said (even though listening to Reggie was a mistake in the first place lol). Then I admitted it was wrong and gave my apologies towards the ref.

Get a life, kid.
    Cool,If anyone needs a life its you. Acting like your team was robbed the game because a ref made a call you never heard of or seen so you assume he made it up? Great logic

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertime
    If you don't have enough common sense to figure out why a sport played with your hands open would frown upon a closed fist, you're a moron.

What's next? Why can't I pick up the ball and just toss it over in volleyball?
    You're a dumbass. This is the same sport that frowned upon dribbling, the same sport that frowned upon over hand freethrows, behind the back passes, between the legs dribbles, and on and on....

STFU.

The game evolves.

I cant believe people have to act like a douche instead of answering a f*cking simple ass question. Does this boost your self confidence? I'm all for empowering dumbasses.

I cannot fathom why someone would berate people for asking why in a situation like this.

EDIT:The rule is stupid. According to the rules, I can Judo chop the ball without a problem, but a closed fist is a no-no.
    Last edited by phoenix18; 04-20-2010 at 10:43 PM.

NBA lottery pick

So much fail from this kid it's kind of sad.

...waits for his next completely immature reply that has no merit whatsoever...

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    You're a dumbass. This is the same sport that frowned upon dribbling, the same sport that frowned upon over hand freethrows, behind the back passes, between the legs dribbles, and on and on....
    Dribbling, overhand freethrows, any sort of passing or dribbling, was never against the NBA rules. Try again, though.

Again, there'd be fewer dumb posts on the forum if people used common sense or Google. Or both.

College star

I can see why it is a rule. Though I didn't know it was a rule. It could go anywhere because it isn't exactly accurate. You could miss and hit a player.

Also it can damage the ball, I have been bored at the gym and went to see if I could punch it across the gym and ended up messing the ball up (got a big bubble in it.) Though it isn't like they don't have other balls on hand.