Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Default Re: Spurs Championships Are Pretty Weak

It's all about the WCF for the Spurs, silkk

Thought about that as well.

1999-50 Game Season/Knicks in Finals without Best Player.
    2003-Beat Mavericks in WCF because their Best Player/Dirk is out&injured after G3.
    2005-Beat the Pistons in 7. Okay. Duncan had a piss poor finals, barely came away with the Win.
    2007-Weakest Spurs Team of the 4. Beat the Suns mainly because of a horribly officiated G3 and that the Suns 2nd Best Player/Stoudemire was suspended for G5. Then in the Finals beat one of the worst finals teams ever, arguably the worst.

However, on the other side the Spurs were a couple of bounces away from winning it all in 2004 (Fisher 0.4) , 2006 (Dirk And-One), 2008 (Barry foul not called), 2012 (Refs turn WCF G6 in OKC's Favor), 2013 (Missed FT's/Rebounds/Allen 3/etc.).... they were in the hunt for winning almost every year.

I think 1999 has the biggest asterisk over it, they only won because Bulls/Jordan retired a year too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    The best team on the 2000s never even won championships in consecutive years
    But that's what I'm saying.

The Lakers are the team of the 2000s, no question about it. That the Spurs managed to win 4 titles in an 9 year span is nothing short of amazing.

You know it, I know it.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    Duncan had a piss poor finals
    21/14/2/2 going up against some of the league's best defenders whilst anchoring an entire defense is piss poor?

It wasn't a good series for Duncan by any means, but it's better than what most players can even dream of doing.

Banned

When the Eastern Conference loses in the Finals, they usually have an absolute SCRUB of a team playing. Just look at the past 20 years

2011 Heat
    2010 Celtics
    2009 Magic
    2007 Cavs
    2005 Pistons
    2003 Nets
    2002 Nets
    2001 Sixers
    2000 Pacers
    1999 Knicks
    1995 Magic
    1994 Knicks

Absolute GARBAGE. The 95 Magic is probably the best of the bunch, followed by the 2011 Heat. Then I don't even know what...it's so bad

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joyner82reload
    When the Eastern Conference loses in the Finals, they usually have an absolute SCRUB of a team playing. Just look at the past 20 years

2011 Heat
    2010 Celtics

2009 Magic
    2007 Cavs
    2005 Pistons
    2003 Nets
    2002 Nets
    2001 Sixers
    2000 Pacers
    1999 Knicks
    1995 Magic
    1994 Knicks

Absolute GARBAGE. The 95 Magic is probably the best of the bunch, followed by the 2011 Heat. Then I don't even know what...it's so bad
    Bolded teams are faaaar from scum. All five would whoop OKC's ass

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    But that's what I'm saying.

The Lakers are the team of the 2000s, no question about it. That the Spurs managed to win 4 titles in an 9 year span is nothing short of amazing.

You know it, I know it.
    Nobody is saying it isn't impressive, but to act like they didn't get some lucky breaks and play weaker than normal competition in championship runs is disingenuous.

Take the 03 Spurs. They of course should not have won with that roster. But they got a break when Dirk got hurt. I wouldn't use that year against them at all...and the greatness of Duncan in 03 was amazing, but it's a lucky break regardless.

05 was super impressive and anyone that says otherwise is a fool

But 07? It was a joke year. The Mavs would have given them a great series and that should have been the real title series, but the Mavs got upset and the Spurs avoided really having to play anyone that year.

It's just the way it goes, but try to imagine the Spurs having to play a team like the 06 Heat or 08 Celtics in 2007...do they still win? Maybe, but it's a lot ****ing harder than playing the 07 Cavs.

I'm a huge Duncan/Spurs guy even as a Mavs fan, but given the competition the Spurs faced in some years...the Mavs would have at least 1 more title. Like I said, imagine the 06 Mavs playing a team like the 07 Cavs in the finals. It's just good luck or bad luck...one is a for sure win...the other is a real test.

Same thing with the 08 Lakers...they easily beat the 07 Cavs and they have a 3 peat.

I think stuff like that is what people are getting at...and just more reasons why putting so much emphasis on titles for players is an extremely flawed way of thinking.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Bolded teams are faaaar from scum. All 4 would whoop OKC's ass

95 Magic would be a good series. Celtics get rolled due to athleticism differential. 2011 get trashed in the Finals by Durant. 94 Knicks were probably the worst offensive team to EVER make the Finals.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

95 Magic would be a good series. Celtics get rolled due to athleticism differential. 2011 get trashed in the Finals by Durant. 94 Knicks were probably the worst offensive team to EVER make the Finals.
    Okc would get killed by 11 Heat

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

God....shut up.

The 11 Heat, 10 Celtics, and 05 Pistons were all great teams. And the 00 Pacers are seriously under-rated as well.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Yea like when the 2012 Celtics took Miami to 7 being even older and slower than before.:

Miamis not athletic at all though right?

And no 2011 Heat dont get trashed by Durant because the only reason Bran dissapeared is because he got punked by a group of vets. When facing little bro KD the very next year he took a shit on him.

Bran can be intimidated.. not by OKC though.

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    21/14/2/2 going up against some of the league's best defenders whilst anchoring an entire defense is piss poor?

It wasn't a good series for Duncan by any means, but it's better than what most players can even dream of doing.
    Yes, 42% is poor. Kobe gets killed for that, why shouldnt Duncan?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFreeman
    Okc would get killed by 11 Heat
    The only chance they would have would be Wade playing Hero ball. The Heat were +1.6 with LeBron on the court in the 2011 playoffs, and +16.3 with him on the bench

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    Yes, 42% is poor. Kobe gets killed for that, why shouldnt Duncan?
    Can anyone find a superstar who posted good FG% against the 2004-2006 Pistons or the 2008-2010 Celtics.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Joyner confirmed to have only just started watching bball