Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Did Magic Johnson defend PG's?

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    Magic could guard all five positions but ws never more then a slightly above average defensive player. He was very quick for his size, but still struggled with quicker guards if they could hit the outside jumper. More often then not Byron Scott would guard the PG and Magic the SG or SF when Cooper came in for Rambis or Worhty or AC in later years.

He was a good help defender because of his anticipation skills and instincts.

The showtime Lakers as a whole didn't need to play a lot of defense because they were such a good rebounding team and so unstoppable on offense. Scott and Worthy off Screens, LAJ in the post, scrappy power forwards who worked the glass and Magic scoring from everywhere.
    Thanks. So in today's game would he be called a point-forward?

And to those who say he didn't play defense, I was asking who he guarded, not how well he plays defense.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
    Magic Johnson used to guard Michael Jordan and shut him down
    In which system? Nintendo or Sega Genesis?

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by stephanieg
    That's why he got HIV.
    Post of the week! Repped.

Quote Originally Posted by josh99
    No he was a pure PG on offense after like 81 or so, whenever Nixon left. Magic would catch the outlet to start the break and if not he'd get them into the offense.

The Lakers sometimes used a line-up of Magic, Worthy, Cooper or AC Green, Mychal Thompson and Jabbar. They essentially played match-up zone with that group and actually ran some half and three quarter court traps on a fairly regular basis.

Against the Bad Boy Pistons Magic guarded Isiah, Joe, Dantley (rarely) Rodman and even Laimbeer.

Again his strength as a defender was away from the ball and his match-up versitility at 6'8"+

GiveItToBurrito
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by josh99

And to those who say he didn't play defense, I was asking who he guarded, not how well he plays defense.
    To some extent. As far as playing style, I think he was actually a bit closer to Scottie Pippen than, say, John Stockton, since I remember him posting up a lot, rather than driving and dishing. I could be wrong, though, since I haven't watched him play since I was like eight or nine years old (other than when he came back and played power forward).

Local High School Star CB4GOATPF's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GiveItToBurrito
    To some extent. As far as playing style, I think he was actually a bit closer to Scottie Pippen than, say, John Stockton, since I remember him posting up a lot, rather than driving and dishing. I could be wrong, though, since I haven't watched him play since I was like eight or nine years old (other than when he came back and played power forward).
    Something like a mixture between Pippen and Lebron and maybe with some Grant Hill resembles in terms of B-Ball IQ-Timing-Desicion Making

Pippen:

Not the Leaper-Agil, Quick as Pippen but almost as Potent and Alot Stronger

Lebron:

Not the Leaper, as Fast or as Potent...a bit less stronger "maybe" (that is the 96 255 lbs Magic version although. Magic`s natural strength was insane)

But With

- Superior Post Game than All of Them
    - Superior Court Vision-Offensive B-Ball IQ-Desicion Making-Timing-Passing Abilities than All of Them
    - Superior Handles with Both Hands than All of Them
    - More Creative and Talented with the Ball than All of Them (with The Ball that is)

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by godofgods
    Magic did not play defense dude.
    His D was his fast break.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by CB4GOATPF
    Something like a mixture between Pippen and Lebron and maybe with some Grant Hill resembles in terms of B-Ball IQ-Timing-Desicion Making

Pippen:

Not the Leaper-Agil, Quick as Pippen but almost as Potent and Alot Stronger

Lebron:

Not the Leaper, as Fast or as Potent...a bit less stronger "maybe" (that is the 96 255 lbs Magic version although. Magic`s natural strength was insane)

But With

- Superior Post Game than All of Them
    - Superior Court Vision-Offensive B-Ball IQ-Desicion Making-Timing-Passing Abilities than All of Them
    - Superior Handles with Both Hands than All of Them
    - More Creative and Talented with the Ball than All of Them (with The Ball that is)
    This comes from a longtime Magic Johnson fan and just so happen to like Lebron to.... but im not Magic biased... :)
    Will be honest...

Magic was absolutely nothing like Pippen or vice versa... some similarities but just no. The only thing Pippen could do like Magic or do better is defend, heck Pippen is one of the best defenders ever, he towers over Magic in that department.....

The closest talent/skills/versatility at that size to Magic was/is Lebron James.. even from the words of Magic Johnson himself who said that a couple of times... Lebron & Magic are the only players in NBA history who had PG skills at that level at that size 6
    Last edited by whatever666; 08-08-2010 at 11:24 PM.

I rule the local playground

Hope you dont mind the BUMP guys, just googled my way into this thread somehow searching for Magic Johnson info.... and thought it was interesting.

And if you want a very late answer (to the OP), then the answer is yes and no, Magic did guard some PGs but it was most likely Forwards he would guard.

There is absolutely nothing that says that just because you are PG you have to guard other PGs.... That was not such a big problem, the biggest problem is the poor PGs who had to guard Magic..... sure Magic couldnt guard all speedy gonzales midget PGs as they would blow past him, but at the end of the day its always the taller PG who takes the bigger advantage of the bigger advantage at the other end, offensively....
    Last edited by whatever666; 08-08-2010 at 11:35 PM.

NBA rookie of the year

This is what happened when Magic tried to defend SG's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2mcFXUOwag

So no, he didn't defend PG's, who are even faster. ;)

Local High School Star

[QUOTE=whatever666]This comes from a longtime Magic Johnson fan and just so happen to like Lebron to.... but im not Magic biased... :)
    Will be honest...

Magic was absolutely nothing like Pippen or vice versa... some similarities but just no. The only thing Pippen could do like Magic or do better is defend, heck Pippen is one of the best defenders ever, he towers over Magic in that department.....

The closest talent/skills/versatility at that size to Magic was/is Lebron James.. even from the words of Magic Johnson himself who said that a couple of times... Lebron & Magic are the only players in NBA history who had PG skills at that level at that size 6

DaniloGallinari
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    Yeah...small wonder he led the league in steals
    Steals=defense now?

Allen Iverson and Larry Hughes are all-time defenders. GTFO

Magic Johnson and Defense don't go together.

3-time NBA All-Star

Magic's defense was not his strength, but he far from a poor defender. The man was nearly 6-9, and posed problems for smaller guards. He was more of a team defender, than an individual defender, as well. Those Laker teams were never remembered for defense, but in close games, they shut opposing teams down.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore xoneatom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stephanieg
    That's why he got HIV.