Decent college freshman Dr.Funk's Avatar

Default Raptors Plan To Waive Salmons

The Raptors will waive John Salmons if they can

Learning to shoot layups AC Earl's Avatar

Default Re: Raptors Plan To Waive Salmons

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/sto...ies-no-22-pick

The Toronto Raptors are in the hunt to acquire the Memphis Grizzlies' No. 22 overall pick in Thursday night's draft, according to sources familiar with the deal.

But the Raptors, sources said, would have to take back Tayshaun Prince via trade to make the deal happen.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Raptors and Grizzlies have discussed a trade in which Toronto sends John Salmons and the No. 37 overall pick to Memphis for Prince and the Grizzlies' No. 22 pick in the first round.

The move appeals to Toronto, sources say, because it would potentially put the Raptors in range to draft Canadian guard Tyler Ennis from Syracuse.

For the Grizzlies, sources say, shedding Prince's contract -- he's owed $7.7 million next season -- is a draft-night priority. But the likelihood is that it'll cost Memphis its No. 22 pick to do so.

Local High School Star

I dont get this trade.

(I mean great for Toronto - I'm not upset).

Salmons is a team option for $7M. The Grizz save about $700,000 plus the difference between 22 draft pick and 37 - say at most another $300,000.

I get Memphis is alergic to the luxury tax but $1M ??

There is something missing in this rumor where Salmons agrees to a 3 year renegotiated deal for $5.5 million per year...

...or Memphis is allowed to decline the option and thereby save the entire $7Million.

But I thought Salmon's option was July 1 and the trade cant happen till July 1 so again.. I am missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jballer
    I dont get this trade.

(I mean great for Toronto - I'm not upset).

Salmons is a team option for $7M. The Grizz save about $700,000 plus the difference between 22 draft pick and 37 - say at most another $300,000.

I get Memphis is alergic to the luxury tax but $1M ??

There is something missing in this rumor where Salmons agrees to a 3 year renegotiated deal for $5.5 million per year...

...or Memphis is allowed to decline the option and thereby save the entire $7Million.

But I thought Salmon's option was July 1 and the trade cant happen till July 1 so again.. I am missing something.
    I believe the trade can happen right after the draft, Memphis has to pick for the Raptors. And then they can waive Salmons after acquiring him. This will help them re-sign ZBo if they wish.