Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2015 training camp!

I'd play Ingles, Millsap and Neto right now. Bench Burke. Not sure about center. None of them looked very good tonight.

http://saltcityhoops.com/news-and-no...s-jazz-101215/

The Jazz had more turnovers (14) than assists (13) on the night, shot an ugly 31.2 percent from the floor (including 22.7 percent from deep) and generally felt out of sync offensively for the second consecutive game.
    Same old Jazz. Not unexpected with their choice not to address their weaknesses in the off-season.

[quote] teams like the Jazz (and really everyone, to some degree) are going to have nights where their shots just aren

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3056106...-poor-shooting

There is little question that the Utah Jazz were bad in Monday night's 88-81 preseason loss to the Portland Trail Blazers.

In losing to a Portland team that didn't have Damian Lillard, the Jazz shot 31 percent from the field, went 5 for 22 from 3-point range and missed 13 free throws. It's tough to win NBA games that way.
    They won games like that last year but why would you want to continue to try and do that?

Still, there were bright spots. Well, there was a bright spot. Alec Burks continues to play well in the preseason. Before 15,171 at EnergySolutions Arena, the shooting guard scored a team-high 19 points and grabbed eight rebounds. He played 34 minutes and shot 6 of 13 from the field.

That last statistic is noteworthy because Burks was the only Jazz starter with more than 10 field-goal attempts to even approach 50 percent shooting. If this preseason is a test of his surgically repaired shoulder, Burks is passing easily. He's arguably been Utah's best player in the preseason.
    Not much argument is there?

"I feel like I'm getting back into a good rhythm," Burks said. "The shoulder feels good, and I feel like I'm playing well. I feel like I can get to the basket with the best of them, so I just need to make sure my jumper is falling."
    Against the Blazers, Burks was the one Jazz starter who could get to the basket consistently and create from the perimeter. He got into a good flow and stayed that way throughout the game. Burks, his teammates and his coaches have been encouraged by his play. Coming into the preseason, he hadn't played in a game since last December after suffering a torn labrum. Nobody knew how he would react to the contact of an NBA game. But he's answering those questions emphatically while displaying an improved skill-set. Burks scored 27 points against the Los Angeles Lakers; he's been difficult to stop off the dribble; and he's played all three perimeter positions. His passing has also improved.

"Alec is a guy who can create shots for himself and for his teammates," Utah coach Quin Snyder said. "There's a good balance to his game right now."

What the Jazz need right now is for others to play at Burks' level.
    They have 4 players who are even close to his level. I'm not worried about them. It's the role players that are the concern.

For a second consecutive game, Utah was flat on both ends. Portland raced to a 29-16 first-quarter lead. The Blazers consistently frustrated the Jazz on both ends, and that early advantage proved to be enough cushion, although Utah would find a way to rally and take a lead in the fourth quarter.

Still, nobody is panicking.
    raising hand!

Snyder pointed out that Monday marked just the fourth preseason game. There's plenty of time to improve, he said.

tjones@sltrib.com

twitter: @tjonessltrib
    There is but what makes you think guys that can't play will suddenly be able to play?

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3056117...or-point-guard

this is not is the offense of the Stockton years or even the Deron Williams phase of Jazz history.
    In theory it's not much different.
    [QUOTE] In various ways, Jazz coach Quin Snyder is creatively working around the absence of Dante Exum, sidelined for the season following knee surgery. His approach is intriguing, so I'll stop short of saying that this already has the feel of a wasted year in some respects. Even if the Jazz improve incrementally after last year's big jump, though, they'll be doing it without any advancement of Exum's game. The point guard staffing was among many offensive issues in Monday's fourth of seven preseason games, which Snyder viewed afterward as "a true look at where we are."

And then he said, with some anticipation, "Now, we get a chance to practice."

Not much of redeeming value surfaced in this game, but whatever goodness did occur usually stemmed from lineups that included Gordon Hayward and three other wing players on the court together, plus a center. For example, the Jazz played without a standard-issue point guard for the last 5:22 of the first half. They scored 12 points in that stretch, which qualified as an outburst

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3056124...avors-looks-to

Someone like Markieff Morris from the Phoenix Suns may be able to score baskets against Favors on one end. But he'll be parked on the block against Favors on the other end in the low post.
    Too bad his post game sucks!

And while teams are generally hesitant to venture into the paint against Favors and Rudy Gobert, their ability to keep a stretch power forward on the floor against that duo may hinge on their ability to play defense.

Favors, for his part, wants to be hard to deal with in that scenario.

"I spent a lot of the summer working on my game offensively," Favors said.
    One reason the Jazz committed to Favors and Gobert, however, is because Favors is the rare big with the mobility to guard inside the paint and away from the hoop. So his defense against pick and rolls, and his defense against smaller players will loom large this season.
    If he was better in the paint they could put Rudy on the perimeter.

Last Friday night, Morris played well against Favors, hitting threes even with Favors contesting his shot. But one thing Favors is this season is outwardly confident. He's confident that he can make life difficult for most offensively. And he's confident that he can guard his position, even as it morphs away from the hoop.

Exum update

Less than two months removed from ACL surgery, Jazz point guard Dante Exum has been seen doing rehab and walking around Utah's practice facility without crutches or a brace. Exum did some light shooting following practice on Sunday. He was working out on an elliptical on Monday morning during shootaround. Exum still has months to go in his recovery, but he appears ahead of schedule.

"Dante is someone who loves to play," Jazz coach Quin Snyder said. "He can't play, but he is working out. That shows his commitment."

Lillard out

Star Portland guard Damian Lillard missed Monday's game with an injured left ankle. The injury, however, doesn't appear to be too serious. Lillard went through his pregame shooting routine at full speed.

tjones@sltrib.com
    good hope he puts in the work

[QUOTE]Jody Genessy: [URL="http://*********.com/social/"]Jazz have waived J.J. O

[QUOTE]Having already acknowledged he has a good feel for the combinations that he likes to see on the floor, it appears Boston

[QUOTE]Andy Larsen: [URL="http://*********.com/social/"]Quin Snyder on what Thibodeau is bringing:

[QUOTE]Thus far rookie Marcelo Huertas, an international veteran from Brazil, has been sidelined with a minor hamstring strain. [URL="http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-still-need-cut-4-players-20151013-story.html"]Despite his absence, the Lakers may choose to keep him as a needed true, backup point guard

http://weareutahjazz.com/lockedonjaz...low-v-blazers/

You would think an undermanned Portland team without Damian Lillard would be a team the Jazz can beat even in the preseason.
    You'd think but the Blazers probably have more depth.
    [QUOTE]

http://www.slcdunk.com/2015/10/13/94...derrick-favors

Today we break into our team's big 3 with the humble and perpetually overlooked hustler of this team.

He's been hyped forever and finally did something last year though he's hyped D still leaves a lot to be desired. Never thought of him as a hustler either.

And I just want to get something straight, the Jazz have a big 3 now, the gap between our big 3 and the rest of the team was immense last year.

Wasn't that immense after Rodney came on. Burks might be making some noise as far as the big 3 it looks like too. He's been their best player for at least 2 games this pre-season.

Believe it or not even with our lack of household names (if you're not a Jazz fan), the Jazz have their big 3 now. You'll find the number of teams with a better 3rd best player than ours dwindling as our core continues to develop and get us some playoff action extremely soon.

The top 5, 6 compare well with other teams. After that is the problem.

I think whoever I put at #3 this year could be considered underrated as really all of our top 3 players are crucial and could be considered our best, but Favors drew the short stick this season by a hair.
    He's not close based on last year.

I cannot gush enough about how far Favors' offensive game has come over the last few years. Just like former Jazz great Millsap, he was seen as a limited offensive player early in his career but later on fully blossomed on both ends.

Still haven't been that impressed with his supposedly top tier D that sent Millsap out the door.

Favors also averaged a career high 52.5 field goal percentage this year. He's somehow shooting further away more often AND at a higher percentage. That is outstanding and goes to show the leaps that Favors' offensive game has made over his young career.
    I think they used him a lot better too. He's good diving to the hole. Posting up he sucks.

Expect Favors to continue to get more looks on the offensive end since his frontcourt partner Gobert is still very raw offensively apart from dunks.
    Trading away Kanter did hurt Favors' offensive rating a bit last season due to him becoming the primary scoring big man. However, with a healthy Burks and Hayward helping keep the defenses honest and another year under Favors belt, expect that to continue to steadily improve.
    Don't forget Hood!

He will own the other team most nights on both sides of the floor and can be counted on as one of our most consistent players.
    Not sure about that. There's plenty of other good bigs in the league. There's a reason he wasn't invited to USA camp.

Derrick Favors: Most underrated player in the league

He's been overrated in Utah his whole career. They let their best player go because of what a great defender he was supposed to be.

Chances of him being with the team in the 2016-2017 season:
    99.9%
    Depends on Lyles development. They 've looked good with Booker in the line-up with Rudy and they are going to be playing smaller there it appears. Rudy isn't going anywhere so I could certainly see Favors being dealt at some point down the road.

http://www.slcdunk.com/the-downbeat/...-downbeat-1746

we're going to be the second best team in the division, and we're talking about preseason?
    Should be but it might be the worst division and basketball and one of those teams just beat them without their all star.
    Preseason?

Preseason record doesn't have any bearing on regular season or playoff success. I know. I've tried to find a link. Some years the Jazz rolled through preseason on their way to the NBA Finals. Other times the team rolled through preseason on their way to a sub-50 win year. While the record isn't the indicator of success we are programmed to think it is, it's true that our team hasn't looked themselves over the last two games.

I'm not going to make an excuse for this team being tired. They played two games in paradise and came home to their own beds after a chartered flight. They didn't sit in coach like most of us schlubs when we go to and from Hawaii. And I'm not going to use 'young legs' or any other excuse. This isn't a 5th game in 7 nights thing. They don't need an excuse. They're just out of rhythm.
    Be nice to think that but to anyone that has paid attention the things they didn't address in off-season are still the same issues now. Pre-season or not it's not surprising.

That is something to recognize, but also not worry about. The team starts the season on an East coast trip all in the same time zone, and they will get back into their rhythm soon enough. Wake up, have breakfast, get on the bus to shoot-around (Shums hyphen in action), return to the hotel, take a nap, eat lunch, pack bags, check out of hotel, get on the bus, go through walk through, go through a development session, get dressed for the game at the arena, play the game, get on bus to airport, fly to the next city. Repeat.

You forgot miss open shots, miss free throws, miss 3's, turnover the ball, not have an NBA pg or back-up big, give Trey and other non NBAers minutes...

So the rhythm has thrown the team off, but rhythm is not impossible to get back into with a return to routine.

Of course, that's not all that's ailing the Jazz . . . some guys are not playing up to expectation,
    Those aren't the guys I'm worried about the one I'm worried about are the same ones that shouldn't be in the rotation.

some guys are not finishing the sets, and some guys are just not ready for the NBA right now.
    Bingo! Some may never be ready but they play anyway.

But again, it's preseason. Younger teams that start on the road are usually second half teams. Ours will be precisely that in 2015-16.
    But why? They finished strong last year. They should have been looking to beast all year not hope they can come on late and sneak into a playoff spot. It's a joke!
    [COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
    [QUOTE][COLOR=white].[/COLOR]
    Kirk Goldsberry is awesome, well he is for me -- I am a visual-spatial person. So his graphjams are amazing to me. Today he talks about assists -- something us Utah Jazz fans have seen a lot of.

First of all, when you click on that link there is a video of some bald shoe salesman pushing off and taking an iso midrange jumper over the Jazz. So be aware. Second, the data confirms what we already knew -- assisted shots go in more. From the article:
    [INDENT] "The best kinds of shots result from teamwork, and the worst kinds are a result of selfishness. Last season, NBA players attempted just over 200,000 shots. Fifty-three percent of these shots qualify as assisted, while 47 percent qualify as unassisted.1 Overall, the league's shooters converted 45 percent of their shots

http://saltcityhoops.com/utah-jazz-b...15-16-edition/

I managed to wildly miss the mark in a couple areas, most notably Utah’s eventual defensive dominance. A few others were spot on, to my credit, but the entire exercise highlights just how much can change over the course of a long and busy NBA season.
    I'm sure no one expected Rudy to change the fortunes of the team around. They'd be tanking this year without him. Front office acts like the are still.
    this time around, it’s whether Trey Burke, Raul Neto and Bryce Cotton can do enough in Dante’s stead to keep the position afloat.
    Or if they're going to make a move or how much the wings will cover for them? It's not like Dante was a great offensive player either. Neto is better and plays D as well.

Burke has slimmed down and seems more comfortable as a distributor within the offense, but still has a long way to go with his shot selection and accuracy.
    Looks the same to me. He looks uncomfortable if anything not shooting every time he gets the ball.

Neto’s 26.3 percent shooting from the field comes on a small sample, but is still a legitimate concern despite some exciting moments defensively.
    Especially since he's the best they've got!

Cotton appears firmly last in line at this point and may know it, pressing on several occasions in his single appearance.
    Him not playing is the biggest surprise to me. Maybe this week in practice he'll be able to make some noise?

Worst of all, coach Quin Snyder seems to be growing more and more comfortable with eschewing a traditional point guard for wing-and-big-only units, which have been noticeably more successful in four preseason games than those featuring one of the points.
    Why is that worst of all? I like the fact that he's looking to put the best players on the court(other than the Trey thing of course). The problem is no matter what they just don't appear to have enough talent to put on the court.

Joe Ingles and Elijah Millsap could play 25 minutes a night for several teams in this league.
    For any good teams though? They looked good last game but it still appears Joe is too hesitant to shoot and Millsap still can't do much besides defend. You mentioned no one else and with the wing line-ups you may need more wings that can play.

[quote Hayward’s health is more important than any other individual on the roster by a long shot.[/quote]

I'd say Rudy. I can easily see Hood and Burks stepping up in place of Hayward. Favors at center isn't that good as we've seen. Their D would go with Rudy.

Best Case: One of Burke or Neto makes a big leap — Burke overall,
    Looks like the same player to me. All I can think or hope anyway is they are showcasing him to trade him. Can't believe Cotton isn't in the mix at all.

Neto mainly on the offensive end — and is capable of giving the Jazz 25 to 30 positive minutes a night at the point without severely limiting the team in one area or another.
    Neto is a good offensive player. How honest he can keep the D is certainly a question to be answered still.

Cotton remains on the roster as a change of pace capable of stepping up for larger minutes when one of the other two slumps or is banged up.
    Or Trey is benched or traded.

Hayward is the franchise’s first All-Star since their rebuild
    Or at least 2nd after Rudy.

, and Burks and Hood both continue their upward trajectories enough that Quin Snyder can leave at least one of the three on the floor at all times and feel confident about perimeter playmaking.
    I'd think ideally you'd want 2 of 3 out there always and all 3 as much as possible.

Worst Case: Burke is unable to make any tangible improvements on last season,
    Which appears to be the case already.

Neto is such a liability as a scorer that the offense collapses when he plays,
    More so than when Millsap, Burke, Gobert, etc. play? Don't get why is singled out after what we saw from this team last year.

and Cotton isn’t an NBA player in virtually any respect.
    Already is at least athletically. Burke can't say the same that's for sure.

The team is scouring the trade market for a stopgap at the point by mid-December.
    They should be now. Hard to believe they aren't looking hard for answers at the moment.

Millsap is such a disaster shooting that he’s limited to spot minutes, and Ingles reverts back to his early 2014 ways as a hesitant offensive player.
    As it appears now all these guys are going to be playing regardless if they actually develop NBA caliber games or not. Hard to believe but that's life as a Jazz fan for 35 years.
    Meanwhile, the Jazz shed their only lingering problem child
    other than Trey who can't be far behind can he?

Trey Lyles has a sizable ceiling, even if it’s likely he doesn’t realize most of it for a few years.
    They'll likely be looking for him to play by next season at most by his 3rd year.

Tibor Pleiss clearly has a long way to go with NBA-level strength and tactics, but just a few makes from deep could turn him into an intriguing spacing piece in a hurry.
    He's looked better than I figured he would.

early indications are that Jeff Withey will be a comfortable option for 10 to 15 minutes a night.
    Looked good in the one game. Right now it looks like it could be all of them depending on match-ups.

The more pertinent questions might honestly be with the bigger names, and whether they have a whole lot of realistic room for improvement left — especially as teams are much more cognizant of their presence and work to make their lives difficult.
    To me the biggest question are with the fringe players.

Favors goes from good last year to great this year as a midrange shooter,
    He was money open out there. His range is the thing that could improve and his post game which still has looked horrible.

Booker more than doubles his 3-point attempts and gains recognition as a legitimate stretch big,
    Haven't seen it yet. If he becomes a big enough threat out there Favors might become trade bait.

the Jazz have the most complete top-to-bottom frontcourt in the NBA.
    Looked that way after the Lakers. Not so much in the last two.

Lyles is two years away from being two years away at NBA speed
    Don't see that.

Booker bolts in free agency and the Jazz are suddenly stuck with an identity crisis in the frontcourt just months removed from one of the brightest situations in the league3.
    Booker likely bolts any way you look at it. Hopefully one more year if the others aren't ready.

at least one of Cotton or Burke progresses enough to keep things afloat.
    Which would be Cotton if either.

The Jazz have enough versatility to combat any look teams throw at them and are the league’s best defense by a sizable margin.
    That's asking a lot from their very thin roster.

Utah’s defensive identity crumbles and they regress back to around league average.
    hard to imagine unless Rudy gets hurt

Utah is averaging 92.4 points per-100-possession in their four games, a mark even the 76ers topped for the full season last year.
    That would be enough if they play D like they did. They appear like they'll score more this year just by pushing it more.

apart from Alec and Hayward, the Jazz have demonstrated basically no ability to create separation and get defenses moving.
    Hood

The Jazz are a borderline top-10 offense and maybe even crack single digits.
    Expecting a lot without even mentioning the role players who are the key to what the Jazz do.

but even wing-heavy units don’t get the job done.
    Which unless they get some help is what is going to happen. Pg's or not they just don't seem to have enough quality players.