Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: ESPN Poll better career Duncan vs Kobe 155k votes Duncan up 64% to 36%

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Of course I don't. Fan polls are worthless.

But I do find it funny that most Kobe fans -- not you from what I've seen of your posts -- use Kobe's Player of the Decade win in the TNT poll to prove his case, even though that was directly after winning a championship.

Great double standard.
    I tend to think Kobe having a little better career than Duncan but it's super close if you have Duncan above Kobe I have no problem with that both are best players of their decade. If anything it's 1A/1B between the two.

Default Re: ESPN Poll better career Duncan vs Kobe 155k votes Duncan up 64% to 36%

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    It's not gonna change this year. We need to be few years removed from Kobe and Duncan to get some real results.
    Great post. I tend to agree with you.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

2007: All-NBA 1st Team, All-Defensive 1st Team, 4th in RS PER, 3rd in RS Win Shares, 3rd in RS WS/48, 4th in RS Box Plus/Minus, 2nd in RS Value Over Replacement Player, 1st in RAPM (by a large margin).

http://stats-for-the-nba.appspot.com/ratings/2007.html

2nd in Playoff PER, 2nd in Playoff Win Shares, 3rd in Playoff WS/48.

This guy. Duncan was at worst the second best player in the league that year. There was a thread on ISH a few months back where Duncan was voted the best player in the league that year.

Stop making things up to fit your agenda. At least do a little research before commenting on seasons you didn't watch.
    Why are you bringing up 2007 when I myself just said Duncan was elite in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    Why are you bringing up 2007 when I myself just said Duncan was elite in 2007.

'Some could argue 05'

When he was the best or second best player in the league in 07, and still a top 3-5 player in 06 when healthy?

So no, nobody could argue 05. You flat out made that shit up.

And the reality is, Duncan wasn't elite in 10 (because of the Playoffs, he was still very elite in the RS) 11, 12, and currently...and the 14 RS. He didn't stop being elite in 08 when that was his second or third best defensive season...or in 2013 when he had one of the great comeback years...making All-NBA 1st Team and posting a top 5 PER/RAPM, turning the Spurs from the 11th ranked defense into the 3rd ranked defense.
    Last edited by T_L_P; 11-15-2014 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    Better than Lebron, too.
    ....for now.

Not airballing my layups anymore

I gotta go with Kobe over Duncan career wise simply because Kobe has basically destroyed Duncan's spurs almost every time they met in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by KobeClutchAsFK
    I gotta go with Kobe over Duncan career wise simply because Kobe has basically destroyed Duncan's spurs almost every time they met in the playoffs.
    I'm not really sure how that makes a better career, but I see your point.

Which series do you think Kobe was the best player on either teams in?

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

'Some could argue 05'

When he was the best or second best player in the league in 07, and still a top 3-5 player in 06 when healthy?

So no, nobody could argue 05. You flat out made that shit up.

And the reality is, Duncan wasn't elite in 10 (because of the Playoffs, he was still very elite in the RS) 11, 12, and currently...and the 14 RS. He didn't stop being elite in 08 when that was his second or third best defensive season...or in 2013 when he had one of the great comeback years...making All-NBA 1st Team and posting a top 5 PER/RAPM, turning the Spurs from the 11th ranked defense into the 3rd ranked defense.
    Some could argue. But I wouldn't. As I stated.

No need to get your panties all twisted up in a bunch over nothing.

Sensitive Duncan stan

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    Some could argue. But I wouldn't. As I stated.

No need to get your panties all twisted up in a bunch over nothing.

Sensitive Duncan stan
    But nobody could.

You can't argue that the guy who lead the league in Playoff PER in 06, averaging 32/14/4 in the WCSF against the Mavs, and was probably the best overall player in the league in 07, was not elite.

You might as well be saying 03 Shaq wasn't elite, or 02 Kobe, or 05 Garnett, or 08 Dirk, or 14 LeBron etc aren't elite players...when they all clearly are.
    Last edited by T_L_P; 11-15-2014 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY
    prisoners of the moment
    [COLOR="White"]...[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Keno
    ....for now.

*looks at Keno's avatar*

I see what you did there.

Local High School Star

People say prisoner of the moment.. And i understand why you would say that
    But I honestly can not see any way you can rank Kobe's career above Duncan's anymore.. And the gap is just growing...

The three main achievements are MVP, FMVP and championships

Duncan
    5 rings
    2 mvps
    3 fmvp

Kobe
    5 rings
    1 mvp
    2 fmvp

Duncan is clearly ahead

Now filling In the gaps..
    Duncan has been relevant every year. Every single year...
    Kobe has had what 5 or 6 completely irrelevant years in his career.. Not even making the playoffs.. Duncan has won 50+ games every season..

Duncan is one of the greatest defensive players of all time... Has the 2nd highest career defensive rating of any player all time.. And this more than compensates what might be a little more offensive impact that Kobe has had than Duncan

Duncan also achieved more with less.. Never had the luxury of playing with someone as dominate as shaq.. I don't care what you say.. Without shaq..
    Kobe only gets 2 rings..
    Kobe never was the clear best player on a championship team.. Shaq was better in the 3 peat.. Pau was just as impactful as Kobe in the back to back.. He has always been a 1a or 1b player on those teams.

Duncan's 03 championship was one of yen most impressive in history.. In taking a bunch of scrubs all the way.. Duncan lead the spurs in points, rebounds, blocks and assists..

Duncan's career> Kobe career

It's all over folks

kobe better than duncan

College superstar

duncan is better, but like kobe, he is massively overrated by casuals and boxscore watchers.

i do think its amazing duncan achieved some of these numbers playing systematically, never forcing the issue (not like he could create on his own consistently - but still)

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    duncan is better, but like kobe, he is massively overrated by casuals and boxscore watchers.

i do think its amazing duncan achieved some of these numbers playing systematically, never forcing the issue (not like he could create on his own consistently).
    Shaq from 01-04: Assisted on 64% of his baskets
    Garnett: 62%
    Duncan: 50%

-Waits for mehyaM24 to skew definition of creating his own.