Default 2013 Fall camp/Pre-Season!

Play Ball!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: 2013 Fall camp/Pre-Season!

[QUOTE]Jazz go twice Tuesday

The Jazz were scheduled to practice twice on Tuesday

[QUOTE]But Trey Burke, being new here and trying to be helpful, offered clarification as training camp opened this week as he tried to answer a question about the need to be patient in his development as the next point guard to follow the path carved by a certain No. 12.

"I think that

"(Burks) worked his tail off this summer. I thought he made some good strides last year, especially having to put him in the point-guard role some and he started for us at times at the point.

"He's a 2-man naturally, but he's a basketball player," Corbin said. "He's been willing to work this summer, he's worked on his body, his conditioning is up and his IQ basketball-wise has increased, so we're really looking forward to him having a good year."

Over his first two years in the league, there were nights when Burks would find himself buried on the end of Utah's bench and he would barely see the floor. He played sporadically at times and seemed unsure of what his role was.

Then there were those nights when he'd come out and, given an opportunity to display his quickness and athleticism, he'd step into the spotlight and shine brightly.

There were nights like last March in San Antonio, when he scored 14 points in 22 minutes against the Spurs, or that night last season at Milwaukee, when he played a career-high 36 minutes and responded by putting up 19 points, 4 assists, 3 rebounds and 2 steals.

Corbin said Burks' biggest improvement may be the mental side of his game.

"Confidence, positive confidence," the Jazz coach said. "You come out of college and you have a chip on your shoulder. He certainly had a chip on his shoulder because he had a lot to prove. He still has a lot to prove to himself and to everybody in this league.

"But he knows better now what he's getting ready to face. And he's working smarter at getting himself ready on both ends of the floor. His body has gotten better from the standpoint of how he can move and use his hands on the defensive end and get over screens and get small at times and stay wide and big at times on smaller guys. His knowledge of the different things he can use that he has against different opponents is increasing.

"I think, along with his physical play, I think the mental aspect of thinking the game

[QUOTE]Insider

"I feel a little bit more comfortable knowing that I got my first practice under my belt, and I'm just ready to move forward from here," he said at the Zions Bank Basketball Center on Tuesday afternoon.

"There was a lot of uncertainty, really, not really knowing what to expect coming into training camp," the Michigan product said. "But once I got comfortable with the staff and got comfortable with my new teammates, they're making it easy for me out there, helping me through my mistakes and, more importantly, they're teaching me."

Head coach Tyrone Corbin recognizes the learning curve that lies ahead of Burke and other young players. He and his coaching staff have taken the time to offer advice to help him adjust to his new surroundings

[QUOTE]POSTING CHANGES: A new group of big men moving into primary roles has led to some changes in the Jazz offense.

"Derrick (Favors) and Enes (Kanter) are very capable low-post guys. They

EXPANDING ROLES: Entering his fourth season in the NBA, swingman Gordon Hayward is working to increase his repertoire on offense.

"Definitely try to add a mid-range part to my game," he said. "A lot of it last year was either the 3-point line or layups and finishes like that, so I'm working on finishes at the mid-range."

Hayward added that moving to the post is another item in his bag of tricks.

"I'm trying to find different places that I can score and be effective," he said. "When I have a smaller guy (defending me), I'll definitely go into the post and take advantage of that."

The Jazz coaching staff is also expecting the returning starter to be more of an instigator.

"I've been asked to be more of a playmaker," Hayward said. "I expect the ball to be in my hands a little bit more, and to go find guys in situations and spots where they can be successful."
    nice!

[QUOTE]UPDATE ON MARVIN: Veteran guard Marvin Williams continues on his road to recovery from offseason surgery to repair a sore right heel and Achilles tendon.

With an anticipated recovery time of at least six months, Williams is not expected to return to the floor until December.

"It

Hey, Xiao. Do you watch/listen to the Locked On Jazz podcast?

I follow his site. I haven't listened to the podcasts. I probably should. I like what he has to say rather I agree with it all or not.

For six years the question was whether the Celtics would win the championship. Now Danny Ainge finds himself overseeing a far less promising environment. All of the big names who played for or coached the championship team of 2007-08 are now in Los Angeles or Miami or Brooklyn or (in the case of Rajon Rondo) on indefinite leave. Instead of trying to win, should they now be trying to lose? "As I walk around town, more than anything else there are those that say, 'Hey, don't win too many games,"' said Ainge, the Celtics' president of basketball operations. "There are so many fans that want us to play for the draft." Ainge's measured response is that they should be more careful what they wish for. "That's harder than people recognize," said Ainge of losing as a strategy. "It's a really easy thing to conceptualize, and an easy thing to talk about and philosophize about. But it's a hard thing to live through -- for fans, for coaches, for owners, for sponsors, for our TV partners." SI.com

"If Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was out there to change your franchise forever, or Tim Duncan was going to change your franchise for 15 years? That might be a different story," said Ainge. "I don't see that player out there." SI.com
    Thought this was interesting. Not as high on Wiggins as others apparently. Going to be a long season. Buckle up!

[QUOTE]O

[QUOTE]Feb. 19, 2004

2000: DeShawn Stevenson (23), Kaniel Dickens (50)
    Good fit for the system not for Jerry.

2001: Raul Lopez (24), Jarron Collins (53)
    Too bad Raul's knees weren't up to the pounding of the NBA. He was a great fit. Too bad Jerry loved Collins.

2002: Ryan Humphries (19), Jamal Sampson (47). Note: Humphries traded to Orlando for Curtis Borchard
    Curtis another one who's body wasn't built for the pounding of the NBA.

2003: Sasha Pavlovic (19), Mo Williams (47)
    Could have been one of his better drafts if they'd stayed around for more than a season. Wouldn't have gotten Deron if they'd kept Mo.

2004: Kris Humphries (14), Kirk Snyder (16), Pavel Podkolzin (21). Note: Podkolzin traded to Dallas for future first-round pick
    A couple more non-Jerry guys. Too bad Snyder was crazy. He could have been a good fit.

2005: Deron Williams (3), C.J. Miles (34), Robert Whaley (51)
    Poor CJ. Never could live up to Sloan and the fans expectations. Should have been Paul!

2006: Ronnie Brewer (14), Dee Brown (46), Paul Millsap (47)
    Brewer and Paul! A couple great fits.

2007: Morris Almond (25), Herbert Hill (55). Note: Hill traded to Philadelphia for Kyrylo Fesenko.
    Splitter was available and they already had Brewer and CJ. Fesenko

2008: Kosta Koufos (23), Ante Tomic (44), Tadija Dragicevic (53)
    Loved Kosta. Still not sure why he fell out of favor? Ante next season finally?

2009: Eric Maynor (20), Goran Suton (50)
    Oklahoma thanks you for the gift!

2010: Gordon Hayward (9), Jeremy Evans (55)

2011: Enes Kanter (3), Alex Burks (12)
    Along with 2006 these look like his best drafts other than getting Deron. 2011 especially looks like it could end up being special.

2012: Kevin Murphy (47)
    Looks like he got better at drafting over the years. Sloan certainly wasn't easy to draft for.
    Last edited by Xiao Yao You; 10-02-2013 at 06:54 PM.