Default Do you think Domantas Sabonis can be a better version of Jefferson/Monroe/Okafor?

It seems like we've had a handful of bigs come into this league as extremely polished post players. These post players tend to lack athletisism, are weak on defense, and are considered "Black holes" who aren't good passers, and the offense tends to shut down after they get ready to make a post move. They also tend to not be "great rebounders". I would also throw Nikola Vucevic and Enes Kanter into the mix.

Domantas Sabonis is definitely a polished post player, who also lacks good athletism. However, he's also a great passer with really good passing instincts (Though he forces passes a bit this early). Also maybe more importantly Defense isn't considered a weakness for him coming into the league, he's extremely physical, has great lateral quickness, he has a strong frame, and he's a good pick and roll defender. To top it off his strongest attribute is his rebounding.

So considering that he doesn't have the weaknesses of these guys, do you think he's gonna be a consistant star in the league?
    Last edited by Purch; 09-28-2016 at 02:58 PM.

Default Re: Do you think Domantas Sabonis can be a better version of Jefferson/Monroe/Okafor?

Got any games/videos of him I could watch?

I don't know a single thing about the guy other then his parenthood.

Default Re: Do you think Domantas Sabonis can be a better version of Jefferson/Monroe/Okafor?

Polished left handed jump hook, running jump hook and up and under moves. Saboner will make dad proud.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=051hUZ_UTh8

This is two years ago, obviously he has much more recent videos. But I like this one because it shows postives and negatives. It's not just a highlight real, you seem some travels and stuff thrown in there.

Here's a more recent video against Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Purch
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=051hUZ_UTh8

This is two years ago, obviously he has much more recent videos. But I like this one because it shows postives and negatives. It's not just a highlight real, you seem some travels and stuff thrown in there.
    Great video!

What I like most is his ball control in the post.
    He really squeezes it hard,
    In addition on his drives he had that nice eurostep, almost like a guard.

I think he can be parading to the freethrow every game on the NBA level, and if he gets to a respectble 70-75% on his FT's he could easily be a 15-16 PPG scorer without much else. Just by attacking the rim and some putbacks and stuff.

But he does not seem transcendent in any way. You know? Just another good prospect.

Great video!

What I like most is his ball control in the post.
    He really squeezes it hard,
    In addition on his drives he had that nice eurostep, almost like a guard.

I think he can be parading to the freethrow every game on the NBA level, and if he gets to a respectble 70-75% on his FT's he could easily be a 15-16 PPG scorer without much else. Just by attacking the rim and some putbacks and stuff.

But he does not seem transcendent in any way. You know? Just another good prospect.
    He's already there in the free throw range.

Definitly not transcendent. But there's only a handful of stars I'd consider transcenedent. But having a post player that can actually not be a defensive liability is rare in todays league.

All he needs to do is not be a lil bitch and he will surpass Greg Monroe in his rookie season

Quote Originally Posted by Purch
    He's already there in the free throw range.

Definitly not transcendent. But there's only a handful of stars I'd consider transcenedent. But having a post player that can actually not be a defensive liability is rare in todays league.
    I know right?
    It's like they have to pick between being able to score from the post and being able to keep their hands up and jump at the same time.

Greg Monroe, Al Jeffreson, Carlos Boozer to name a few of those offense only post players.

College superstar

Sabonis is going to be a good defender. The guys you name AREN'T. So already you are completely missing the boat.

He's going to be a stud. Ceiling is Carlos Boozer (on the Bulls) with decent defense.

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    Sabonis is going to be a good defender. The guys you name AREN'T. So already you are completely missing the boat.
    I think you misunderstand me.

The reason I ask this question is that there seems to be an assortment of unathletic bigs who can score, but struggle to play defense, pass, and rebound at an elite level. So what I'm asking is without those limitations, is he on track to be the kind of consistant all star they never could be?