Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bird or Magic?

Banned

Default Bird or Magic?

Frankly I don't see how this is even a debate. Magic appears to be a shittier version of Bird.

-Bird has a better post game
    -Bird is the better scorer overall
    -Bird is an elite shooter while Magics shot is questionable at best
    -Bird is the superior rebounder
    -Bird is just as good of a passer, just doesn't hog the ball as much
    -Bird is the better defender

How does anyone think Magic is better? More rings? Yeah no surprise seeing as how he played with a top 5 player of all-time in Kareem while Birds best teammate McHale is probably top 40 all-time.

Career Numbers/Production
    Bird: 24.3 PPG 10.0 RPG 6.3 APG 49.6FG% 37.6 3PT% 1.7 SPG 0.8 BPG 3.1 TPG
    Magic: 19.5 PPG 7.2 RPG 11.2 APG 52 FG% 30.1 3PT% 1.9 SPG 0.4 BPG 3.9 TPG

Primes
    Bird: 28.7 PPG 10.5 RPG 6.6 APG 52.2FG% 42.7 3PT% 1.6 SPG 1.2 BPG 3.1 TPG
    Magic: 23.4 PPG 6.3 RPG 12.2 APG 52.2FG% 20.5 3PT% 1.7 SPG 0.5 BPG 3.8 TPG

Not to mention Birds Prime SHITS ON MAGICS and had it not been for late career injuries this comparison would be even more of a joke than it already is.

Default Re: Bird or Magic?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuhrer Hubbs
    Frankly I don't see how this is even a debate. Magic appears to be a shittier version of Bird.

How does anyone think Magic is better? More rings? Yeah no surprise seeing as how he played with a top 5 player of all-time in Kareem while Birds best teammate McHale is probably top 40 all-time.

Career Numbers/Production
    Bird: 24.3 PPG 10.0 RPG 6.3 APG 49.6FG% 37.6 3PT% 1.7 SPG 0.8 BPG 3.1 TPG
    Magic: 19.5 PPG 7.2 RPG 11.2 APG 52 FG% 30.1 3PT% 1.9 SPG 0.4 BPG 3.9 TPG

Primes
    Bird: 28.7 PPG 10.5 RPG 6.6 APG 52.2FG% 42.7 3PT% 1.6 SPG 1.2 BPG 3.1 TPG
    Magic: 23.4 PPG 6.3 RPG 12.2 APG 52.2FG% 20.5 3PT% 1.7 SPG 0.5 BPG 3.8 TPG

Not to mention Birds Prime SHITS ON MAGICS and had it not been for late career injuries this comparison would be even more of a joke than it already is.
    If anything it's arguable either way. As great as Bird was passing, Magic was better. Magic was a natural PG at 6'9. He wasn't at PG for shits and giggles or for a freak circus act. Magic in my book had a better post game than Bird as well. Bird is arguably the greatest shooter of all time so no shame there. Bird is the better rebounder but it's not as big of a gap when u consider the positions they played. Bird played closer to the rack and played a ton of PF. Magic had alpha dog scoring capabilities and his shooting got better over time. I just think Magic was more unique of a player than a very unique one in Bird himself. U saw traits of Bird's game in guys like a Rick Barry. Bird was a couple of inches taller and had the luxury to use the three ball as more of a weapon. Magic was a 6'9 PG with Harlem Globetrotter type flair with a basketball. And he was an alpha dog scorer when he had to or damn well felt like being one. But with these two its like picking between Austin or Rock. U can't go wrong either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuhrer Hubbs

Lets see here...

-Bird was a forward
    -It's his job to score
    -Still very similar efficiency which work in guard's favor
    -Bird was a forward
    -Not really
    -Not really

NBA Superstar

Love Bird, but Magic did more with his career, so the title goes to Magic.

Stats lie.

Talent-skill-productions = Larry Bird (if only he was a better defender i would call him the most complete player to ever play this game)

More accomplished career = Magic Johnson

3-time NBA All-Star

Never seen this discussed before.

How about this...Bird was the greatest SF of all-time, and Magic was the greatest PG of all-time, and leave it at that. Any GM would have been thrilled to have either.

Winning>Stats

As much as I love Bird, his game was more complete, but I'd pick Magic if I had to pick between the two to start a team. Magic is one of the greatest winners ever. Between him, Russell, Jordan or Kareem.

Some rank Magic just above Bird due to accolades, however when they both came to NBA, there was no question who was better till Bird started declining due to back issues, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    Some rank Magic just above Bird due to accolades, however when they both came to NBA, there was no question who was better till Bird started declining due to back issues, etc.

That's a pretty definitive statement, and a false one.

Not airballing my layups anymore winnnaz's Avatar

You can't seriously pick one to be better than the other...

Why can't they just be one of the best ever? Considering they played different positions and were in different situations.
    I'm content saying they were equals, which is what they were during their reigns.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    Oh, you mean when Magic came in the league and won Finals MVP, playing all 5 positions, and winning despite Kareem being injured?

Magic put up 42/15/7/3/1 in Game 6 to win the title. Take a while to soak in those numbers, then realize this was his rookie season.

Yea, no question that Magic came up big when it mattered the most.

im a superhero

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf

That's a pretty definitive statement, and a false one.
    no, its not false. bird was considered the better player. it was essentially the gap between lebron, and whoever you consider the number 2 player right now in the league. thats how obvious it was back then. it is only after they both retired that magics fairy tale story made him seem superior.

it goes to prove a great resume can get you anywhere. anyone that watched both knows who was better.

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    Oh, you mean when Magic came in the league and won Finals MVP, playing all 5 positions, and winning despite Kareem being injured?

Magic put up 42/15/7/3/1 in Game 6 to win the title. Take a while to soak in those numbers, then realize this was his rookie season.

Yea, no question that Magic came up big when it mattered the most.
    I love that game but I'm sick of this fairy-tale. Bird won that RoY award and he deserved it. Also Kareem's FMVP award was robbed. Kareem was the man. Kareem led the Lakers to the the title. People act like it was all about Magic. It was all about Magic in that game 6 only.

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn
    I love that game but I'm sick of this fairy-tale. Bird won that RoY award and he deserved it. Also Kareem's FMVP award was robbed. Kareem was the man. Kareem led the Lakers to the the title. People act like it was all about Magic. It was all about Magic in that game 6 only.
    Actually the most disrespected man from that game was Jamaal Wilkes. Dropped 37 points !!! Nobody mentions it or cares...

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Never seen this discussed before.

How about this...Bird was the greatest SF of all-time, and Magic was the greatest PG of all-time, and leave it at that. Any GM would have been thrilled to have either.
    This
    /Thread