Default George Gervin 41 pts vs Bernard King 50pts 1984

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Default Re: George Gervin 41 pts vs Bernard King 50pts 1984

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23

Two of the best scorers ever, putting on a show there

I've watched more from King after that major injury, and sometimes I forget just how explosive he was before all of that... Big, strong and athletic with great skill and smarts. Dude was beasting before injury, such a shame.

Durant really needs to develop a post-game at least close to Gervin's level, especially since they have similar physiques/athleticism... That was major for Ice, mainly in the post-season, kept his game more versatile and harder to guard.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT

I've watched more from King after that major injury, and sometimes I forget just how explosive he was before all of that... Big, strong and athletic with great skill and smarts. Dude was beasting before injury, such a shame.

Durant really needs to develop a post-game at least close to Gervin's level, especially since they have similar physiques/athleticism... That was major for Ice, mainly in the post-season, kept his game more versatile and harder to guard.
    Bernard King was one of my favorite players and I was lucky enough to see him play in person in 1990-91 when I was 18. He went to the all star game that year and was killing it. 27ppg that year.
    Last edited by chocolatethunder; 12-02-2014 at 07:12 PM.

Right on the money about Durant! He already has one of the top 10 scoring skillsets of all time for a perimeter player. And I believe Gervin does as well. But if Durant got his post game down to science, he could acquire the greatest scoring skillset of all time! He's a better slasher than Bird and is a better three point shooter than MJ, Kobe, and Melo.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    Bernard King was one of my favorite players and I was lucky enough to see him play in person in 1990-91 when I was 18. He went to the all star game that year and was killing it. 27ppg that year.
    Around the time I remember him (playing) the most too, he wasn't as athletic/explosive as before though, due to the injury... Still great what he was able to do after it, like the season you've mentioned.
    When he was peaking, before injury, he was just so explosive and strong, combined with the terrific skill and offensive IQ... beasting.

As we all know the 80s was the Golden Era of SF's. Even though u had an EPIC TALENT POOL at the position, I think Bird, Dr. J, King, and Nique were more special than the other guys. This is not to take away from English, Dantley, Aguirre, Kiki, Marques Johnson, Worthy, Silk, Mullin, etc. King's blend of midrange, post game, slashing, and explosiveness is THE GREATEST of all time at the SF spot. He was an A in all of those categories. Melo is close in that regard. English and Dantley weren't as explosive. And I think Nique is underrated in that realm. But peak King had it on lock in terms of combining the old school SF attack areas AND explosive athletic ability.

Around the time I remember him (playing) the most too, he wasn't as athletic/explosive as before though, due to the injury... Still great what he was able to do after it, like the season you've mentioned.
    When he was peaking, before injury, he was just so explosive and strong, combined with the terrific skill and offensive IQ... beasting.
    Dude is my favorite. It's a shame tho because off the court the dude should be in jail for life. He's a serial woman beater in the worst way. He's just an awful guy. Still my fave but he's a bad dude.