Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Default Re: Rings mean what exactly?

its pretty significant

Quote Originally Posted by Batchoy
    No, it wasn't a "great post". He is dealing with what if's and assumptions. It's like saying Kobe would have just been another Allen Iverson if he wasn't traded to The Lakers and stayed with Charlotte. You can assume just about anything because it never happened.
    All of our discussions are based on "what ifs?". When you eliminate that term. Then you penalize alot of players.

Lets face it. There is no set system to determine whos greater. In another post I stated that I feel John Stockton wouldve won just as many championships as magic had he been put in Magics role. Steve Nash too.

If Ray Allen missed that 3 and Miami lost, I wouldn't rank LeBron any higher or lower than I do right now. Rings don't determine the skill level or impact that a player has. Did LeBron become an even better player instantly once they won game 7? Better player, Lebron at the start of game 7 or Lebron at the end of game 7? Lebron at the start has 1 ring. Lebron at the end has 2.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Rings are overrated in general. LeBron could have retired with no rings and you still couldn't convince me players like Kobe, Dr. J, West, Moses Malone, etc were better players. Now that he has got some? Great. But its his MVPs and impact on team basketball that fascinate me the most.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    Rings are overrated in general. LeBron could have retired with no rings and you still couldn't convince me players like Kobe, Dr. J, West, Moses Malone, etc were better players. Now that he has got some? Great. But its his MVPs and impact on team basketball that fascinate me the most.
    I totally agree with you. I don't see how these people on this board say Dirk is better than Charles Barkley because he won a ring and got Finals MVP. Rings matter that much to some folks I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by talkingconch
    its pretty significant

When comparing achievements? Sure. Most people tell you LeBron James was a better player than Kobe Bryant was, even with his 3 extra sidekick rings. A lot of it circumstance. Some players get drafted to the Lakers, Spurs, etc. And some get drafted to Cleveland, Toronto, etc.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

it's only part of the resume

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by swi7ch
    Yeah man, I don't know why these athletes want to win a ring! It's pointless.
    Taking the rest out of the quote, cuz it's a stupid quote by Boozer...

But judging individual players by TEAM wins/rings has always seemed illogical to me. Players can play exceptionally well and their team can still lose. Doesn't mean that player played poorly.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Compare superstar rings to other superstars rings.

Compare role player rings to other role player rings.

They all need to be put under context.

Does that answer the logic ?
    A superstar still needs the roleplayers and coaches to do their jobs well.

Roleplayers need their coaches and superstars to do their jobs well.

A coach needs his role players and superstars to do their jobs well.

So again... what's this context you speak of? Team wins should not greatly influence individual's rankings/greatness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Exlax
    I totally agree with you. I don't see how these people on this board say Dirk is better than Charles Barkley because he won a ring and got Finals MVP. Rings matter that much to some folks I guess.
    I had Dirk pretty high on my all-time list even before he won a ring. His Finals teams were nothing to write home about. Especially the 06 team. Undefeated in game 7s, great playoff runs, Mavs won at least 50 games for over a decade, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    I had Dirk pretty high on my all-time list even before he won a ring. His Finals teams were nothing to write home about. Especially the 06 team. Undefeated in game 7s, great playoff runs, Mavs won at least 50 games for over a decade, etc.
    Do you have Dirk higher than Barkley? When I think of all-time lists though I'm not thinking career accomplishments. I think skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Exlax
    Do you have Dirk higher than Barkley? When I think of all-time lists though I'm not thinking career accomplishments. I think skill.

I have all 3 somewhere from 12-17. I need to take the time and make a top 25 one day.

Serious playground baller Flamboyant's Avatar

I will try to give a simple answer:

Rings don't make players/coaches better. But they do make them greater.

And while I don't think they should be irrelevant when rating a player, I believe that rings are overrated. For example to me Jason Kidd and Kevin Garnett are easily top 10 best, but sadly their greatness won't be a true reflection of how good they actually were. And to me it's not simply just a matter of winning or not. It's a matter of how much you want it, and these two were willing to leave their all on the court. To me that counts just as much as some of the rings won by other players, if not more. But in future these things will be forgotten, and only those who won will be remembered. Sadly this is how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Compare superstar rings to other superstars rings.

Compare role player rings to other role player rings.

They all need to be put under context.

Does that answer the logic ?

Banned

Finals MVP is all that counts. Having rings means that you're a Certified Roleplayer who passed the Finals exam.