Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default 76ers Bow to Pressure, Apologise to the Singer Wearing the "We Matter" Jersey

[QUOTE]76ers apologize to singer they stopped from performing national anthem over 'We Matter' jersey

The Philadelphia 76ers apologized Friday to recording artist Sevyn Streeter for stopping her from singing the national anthem at their 2016-17 NBA season opener after the singer appeared at Wells Fargo Center wearing a jersey bearing the phrase

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Default Re: 76ers Bow to Pressure, Apologise to the Singer Wearing the "We Matter" Jersey

I'm sure some of the players were angry as well...given that they are all black, besides Saric and Rodriguez.

So, no, it's no "shame". It's just doing what they gotta do.

Let's Talks Numbers 34-24 Footwork's Avatar

Default Re: 76ers Bow to Pressure, Apologise to the Singer Wearing the "We Matter" Jersey

Lol. Their original statement was (paraphrasing):

"Basketball games are supposed to unite us and not divide us" or some shit like that. Lol.

A shirt that says "We Matter" is divisive somehow? I knew it was a matter of time before this was revisited. They fvcked up...

Not sure if half of the posters even live in the U.S on this forum....

But it's not just the players...trust me. It's Philly as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by 34-24 Footwork

"Basketball games are supposed to unite us and not divide us" or some shit like that. Lol.

A shirt that says "We Matter" is divisive somehow? I knew it was a matter of time before this was revisited. They fvcked up...
    She was hired to sing the anthem, not take the performance hostage to garner publicity for herself. Either way, by apologising they have exposed themselves to criticism because now they have taken the blame.

NBA owners are almost all extreme right wingers.

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    She was hired to sing the anthem, not take the performance hostage to garner publicity for herself. Either way, by apologising they have exposed themselves to criticism because now they have taken the blame.
    I agree with you to some degree, but that wasn't the Sixers' statement. That's your statement.

Her shirt said "We Matter", bruh.

We Matter. On what planet is that divisive?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Exactly. Make a political statement on your own time. Most of the players in the NBA may be black, but most of the consumers buying the product are white.

OP a confirmed racist

#WeMatter

Banned

Why the ****ing backtrack?

They were absolutely right to begin with. This BLM movement needs to be eradicated and shunned in every single capacity. We can no longer allow racists blacks to spread their cancer. ****ing tired of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    NBA owners are almost all extreme right wingers.
    Except Mark Cuban an a few others.

There's gonna be some shit done this season. Guaranteed.

Fans loved to be entertained? Cool. It's gonna go beyond basketball this season. Mark my words.

The NFL can get away with the jingoistic nature surrounding military and etc.

The NBA players are more educated, paid more and have more fans globally.

I agree with you to some degree, but that wasn't the Sixers' statement. That's your statement.

Her shirt said "We Matter", bruh.

We Matter. On what planet is that divisive?
    I'm not saying it was "divisive", as you said, it's the 76ers statement. My point is that she was there to sing the anthem, 76ers were right to stop her no matter what issue she wanted to raise or refer to. She could have had "Pro Life", "Leaks", "Women" or "YOLO" for that matter written on her jersey and the results would be the same.

Lol @ We Matter being racist.

Just /thread now.

I'm not saying it was "divisive", as you said, it's the 76ers statement. My point is that she was there to sing the anthem, 76ers were right to stop her no matter what issue she wanted to raise or refer to. She could have had "Pro Life", "Leaks", "Women" or "YOLO" for that matter written on her jersey and the results would be the same.
    WILD speculation. Lol. But I feel you. They're a private organization that has the right make those decisions. But my not expressing themselves in a clear and concise manner and later backpedalling, it's not a good look.

Seems like someone made the decision unilaterally and impulsively.

WILD speculation. Lol. But I feel you. They're a private organization that has the right make those decisions. But my not expressing themselves in a clear and concise manner and later backpedalling, it's not a good look.

Seems like someone made the decision unilaterally and impulsively.
    I agree, 76ers management of the issue has been disastrous, they should have kept everything low profile and dealt with her privately. Now They have even taken the blame for everything and become vulnerable.