Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61314151617 LastLast

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain free throw dunks:

Quote Originally Posted by abuC
    I can tell you're a moron.

You're, not YOUR. If you plan on calling someone an idiot learn the difference.

Thanks you sure showed me! Almighty spell checker!

Cuba

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    I know damn well about camera distortion and perspective in photography is a hobby of mine. I'll ask again. Are you going to sit here and say "I can not deduce whether or not Wilt's vertical was two feet or not because I don't trust the angle"!?

Get real. The distortion is NOT that extreme.

Oh, so now photography is a hobby yet you're trying to narrow down to the inch how high someone jumped based on off angle pictures pointing UP at the rim. You might want to consider a new hobby if that's the case.

Matter of fact, you can save the NBA a lot of money with your precise skill. They can get rid of the vertec measurement tools they have and just take pictures of guys jumping and have you tell what everyone's vertical is @ the combine.

Oh, so now photography is a hobby yet you're trying to narrow down to the inch how high someone jumped based on off angle pictures pointing UP at the rim. You might want to consider a new hobby if that's the case.

Matter of fact, you can save the NBA a lot of money with your precise skill. They can get rid of the vertec measurement tools they have and just take pictures of guys jumping and have you tell what everyone's vertical is @ the combine.

Show me my post where I attempt to narrow down his vertical by the inch via the rim. Show me. Shut up and stop Assuming you know what I posted or why I posted and read the thread before you jump in all hot n bothered

Cuba

Show me my post where I attempt to narrow down his vertical by the inch via the rim. Show me. Shut up and stop Assuming you know what I posted or why I posted and read the thread before you jump in all hot n bothered

Short term memory?

40" - yes
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...&postcount=202

How high would you say this Masai warriors vertical is oh wise sage of jumping:

Short term memory?

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...&postcount=202

How high would you say this Masai warriors vertical is oh wise sage of jumping:

No frame of reference.

Not the same at all. Thanks for trying. Everyone knows how high a 10 foot basket is. I never used it to peg Wilt's vertical based on it as you accuse - but it was pretty f_cking obvious he was higher than 2 feet. Your literally visually/spatially inept if you can't figure that much out.

Cuba

No frame of reference. Thanks for trying. Everyone knows how high a 10 foot basket is. I never claimed to peg Wilt's vertical based on it - but it was pretty f_cking obvious he was higher than 2 feet. Your literally visually/spatially inept if you can't figure that much out.

Where have I said anything about Wilt's vert other than the pictures you were posting are impossible to tell if he's rim level.

I will point out that you said his vert was 40" which is a joke, considering that would mean his head would be 5" above the rim, putting his nose/mouth at rim level

Great college starter

When i did track in high school, i did long jump and high jump....i'm about 5'10" track shoes, and i cleared 6'0 on my best jump...i went backward and couldn't bend for shit....The top of my waist (point of reference) is 39"....I would have to jump 6'6" just to clear my ass over the bar, giving a rough vertical of around 37-39"...( I could touch 11-12"above the rim). Now Wilt was doing 6'6" with a proven CRAPPIER style of jumping. I guarantee he was clearing closer to 6'10" to 7feet with that style...watching the videos, he clears the bar pretty easily, but gets screwed with his drag leg. Yeah he's taller than me, his torso is longer i'm sure and legs might be 6-8 inches longer, but he was jumping higher than i was as well...

Comparatively, it's not out of the realm that he could approach 40". 36"-39" is a definIte in my book.

(I just measured my standing reach, 93" on my tip toes...i could touch 11-12" above the rim in high school, which is about 132 inches...which comes out to a 38-39 inch vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23
    When i did track in high school, i did long jump and high jump....i'm about 5'10" track shoes, and i cleared 6'0 on my best jump...i went backward and couldn't bend for shit....The top of my waist (point of reference) is 39"....I would have to jump 6'6" just to clear my ass over the bar, giving a rough vertical of around 37-39"...( I could touch 11-12"above the rim). Now Wilt was doing 6'6" with a proven CRAPPIER style of jumping. I guarantee he was clearing closer to 6'10" to 7feet with that style...watching the videos, he clears the bar pretty easily, but gets screwed with his drag leg. Yeah he's taller than me, his torso is longer i'm sure and legs might be 6-8 inches longer, but he was jumping higher than i was as well...

Comparatively, it's not out of the realm that he could approach 40". 36"-39" is a definIte in my book.

(I just measured my standing reach, 93" on my tip toes...i could touch 11-12" above the rim in high school, which is about 132 inches...which comes out to a 38-39 inch vertical.
    I did long jump and had a 36" max-vertical. I'm a white guy. Anyone who thinks a top tier NCAA High Jumper has a vertical the same as an above average but nothing too special white high-school competitive long-jumper is literally bat-shit stupid.

40" - yes

And I'm in good company about thinking he would dominate

Every NBA player agree's. You won't find one that won't. Kobe ranked him #1 ahead of himself. U mad?

I don't think players/people ranking Wilt #1 means they think he would dominate in todays league. They are just doing exactly what any rational person should do, and ranking Wilt against his peers, for which he was obviously superior.

Anyone who thinks Wilt would even come close to replicating his statistics or dominance in todays league is simply drinking the cool-aid.

Great college starter

I did long jump and had a 36" max-vertical. I'm a white guy. Anyone who thinks a top tier NCAA High Jumper has a vertical the same as an above average but nothing too special white high-school competitive long-jumper is literally bat-shit stupid.

Wilt was using an archaic and inferior jumping style as well...i don't think i could have cleared 6'0" like that, you'd lose too much upward force trying to lay your body over the bar flat.
    Last edited by bwink23; 02-28-2012 at 03:13 AM.

And I don't really understand the extreme focus on Wilt's physical abilities. Javalle Mcgee is a physical specimen as well... so what? James White can do a 360, between the legs, from the FT dunk... so what?

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    I don't think players/people ranking Wilt #1 means they think he would dominate in todays league. They are just doing exactly what any rational person should do, and ranking Wilt against his peers, for which he was obviously superior.

Anyone who thinks Wilt would even come close to replicating his statistics or dominance in todays league is simply drinking the cool-aid.
    Statistics no - obviously. Relative dominance, yes. That's not out of the question. He's the same weight with greater wingspan and higher reach than Yao Ming... except... how athletic was he? How strong was he?

How dominant was Yao Ming when he was healthy despite moving around with the agility and speed of Frankenstein's monster?

Doesn't take much stretch of the imagination to believe he'd be the most dominant player in the league.

Cuba

Based on this dumbass. Not based pictures of him playing basketball.

Calling me a dumbass, yet posting that long ass moronic drivel of a post, a high jump and a vertical are two entirely different types of jumps. A vertical is measured off no step, or 1 step and jumping off TWO FEET, your moronic copy and paste job has Wilt running and jumping off one foot.

Whoever posted that original post is just as delusional as you, wouldn't be surprised if it was Jlauber.

Decent college freshman

16 pages and no empirical proof in the form of a photo or video of wilt ever doing anything like that

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    And I don't really understand the extreme focus on Wilt's physical abilities. Javalle Mcgee is a physical specimen as well... so what? James White can do a 360, between the legs, from the FT dunk... so what?
    Because Jefail is as smart as a tomatoe, and is not even close to the specimen Wilt was and if you think being a specimen doesn't mean anything go watch footage of Shaq.