Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Dragic=GOAT, kobe=beta

Default Re: This album from 90>>> almost anything today

nah.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Most music is crap from every era, and every era has good and bad artists... nobody is gonna deny that.

But

The popular artists form the past>>> most of today's
    The shitty artists from the past>>> most of the shitty artists from today's era
    The dope artists from the past>>> most of the best artists from today

You mentioned Digital Undergound.... them>>> most rap acts today. Humpty Dance (song) is better than damn near every song of its ilk of the past decade.

Back to my main point.

The skills from past artists>>> damn near every artists today.

To be blunt, hip hop has declined in terms of the skill level. Most rappers today concentrate on punchlines and one liners. They usually leave out rhyming, flow, stamina, and writing a song as a whole.

I sit here and listen to Drake, and there's no comparison between Drake and the Cube record I posted. And Drake is considered one of the best rappers in general. And that's not even Cube's best album, he still had that old school 80s rhyming pattern from time to time, yet it's still a bit more complex than the simple rhyme schemes most rappers use today (specially Southern rappers).

This topic aint new and I've demolished any argument. Post today's top selling/top radio plays/ top street bangers and I'll compare them with the same one's from the same month from just about any year from the 90s and the 90s will destroy today's 8/10 times.

Shall we start the game? pick any month from the past decade and post the top hip hop track and I'll counter.

I've stated this a few times and i said it as a joke, but then realized that I was actually on point. But PM Dawn over most of today's rappers..... including Drake. Better flow, better rhyming, better lyrics, better stamina (control) etc.etc.
    Nah. You never really have. What you are is what some used to accuse me of(wrongly). Just era biased to an unreasonable extent. Its not even just on music. You do the same shit on basketball. Iremember something about Jordan in his last season on the Wizards being as good as 10/11 Wade.....perhaps some bullshit about Reggie Miller being a better scorer than anyone now except I believe Kobe and Durant.

Just a lot of....non sense.

No offense meant but you really dont strike me as the type its worth having a conversation with on some of these matters.

Funny thing is I had the EXACT same arguments on today vs yesteryear with my uncle damn near 20 years ago.

You do know that people who were our current age in the early 90s thought that days rappers and singers were garbage right?

Biggie, Rkelly, and so on were getting clowned on Comic View like Drake/Wayne/whoever would now.

Id tell them the same thing id tell you. just because Marvin Gaye existed doesnt mean a bunch of people not worth remembering didnt exist with him.

Im never gonna get into most of todays hits. Just isnt my kind of music. But my family wouldnt let me play my Public enemy tapes...thought it was just noise.

Doesnt mean I was listening to garbage. It means 30-40 year olds almost never like what 16 year olds do.

Ive been on ISH since topics like this bashed the late 90s/early 2000s people right up to people posting youtube videos with comments like "When they made REAL hiphop!" on old 50 Cent songs we mocked on here when they came out.

Its just....people getting older.

NBA Superstar

every semi-decent or better album from the 90's >>> almost anything today

Id say far as my tastes....deciding what a good/great song is....

The top 100 songs from 1960-80 would probably rank ahead of the best from 84-04.

But its quite likely thats because the time weeded out the scum history doesnt need and all it leaves to remember are the Al Greens, led zeppelins, Marvin Gayes, Eric Claptons, temptations, Parliments, and Hendrix types.

Give it 20 years....when people forget Future and Gucci existed and pretend this whole era was Andre 3000, Big Krit, Kendrick, Jay Z, Eminem, (they will ease them into this era), and so on....I bet it doesnt look so bad.

Time has a way of smoothing the rough patches.

The best of every era stands up with some of the best from any. Eminem would rap circles around almost everyone to touch a mic....and Anthony Hamilton and Musiq make songs that could be hits in the 60s.

The icons...the real icons....they stand out. On a bit of a pedestal.

Which is why the 60s-70s might always get top billing.

Nas is nice as hell.

History will never place him next to Hendrix.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 02-03-2014 at 02:21 AM.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Nah. You never really have. What you are is what some used to accuse me of(wrongly). Just era biased to an unreasonable extent. Its not even just on music. You do the same shit on basketball. Iremember something about Jordan in his last season on the Wizards being as good as 10/11 Wade.....perhaps some bullshit about Reggie Miller being a better scorer than anyone now except I believe Kobe and Durant.

Just a lot of....non sense.

No offense meant but you really dont strike me as the type its worth having a conversation with on some of these matters.

Funny thing is I had the EXACT same arguments on today vs yesteryear with my uncle damn near 20 years ago.

You do know that people who were our current age in the early 90s thought that days rappers and singers were garbage right?

Biggie, Rkelly, and so on were getting clowned on Comic View like Drake/Wayne/whoever would now.

Id tell them the same thing id tell you. just because Marvin Gaye existed doesnt mean a bunch of people not worth remembering didnt exist with him.

Im never gonna get into most of todays hits. Just isnt my kind of music. But my family wouldnt let me play my Public enemy tapes...thought it was just noise.

Doesnt mean I was listening to garbage. It means 30-40 year olds almost never like what 16 year olds do.

Ive been on ISH since topics like this bashed the late 90s/early 2000s people right up to people posting youtube videos with comments like "When they made REAL hiphop!" on old 50 Cent songs we mocked on here when they came out.

Its just....people getting older.

Honestly doe, I think most objective music fans of any age/era would tell you that each decade before the 00's had a greater preponderance of worthwhile artists and songs than the post-00 era. I understand that everyone has a tendency to favor nostalgia/familiarity but I also think it could be objectively proven that it has been a weak era for music since the advent of illegal downloading.

I like music from the 60s and 70s and I wasn't even born when it was made. So it's not a "back in my day" thing. Sure, there was plenty of throwaway music that didn't stand the test of time but I think comparing honestly, the hits from back then were way better than what qualifies as a hit today.

You like music from the 60s and 70s for the same reason I do....we dont have to hear what sucked.

Listening to my moms and my friends parents old records....

A LOT sucked.

But why would anyone remember it?

Digging in the crates is like mining for gold. Mostly its just a bunch of useless bullshit...but you hope to see something shiny.

Listening to 30-40 year old music is like going to a jewelry store.

Someone already found it for you....and saved it for others to enjoy.

Thats why current music is always considered worse than back in the day.

In the here and now....you are digging for gold.

In the past....people already found it for you.

I could listen to 10 new mixtapes ill hate to find one I like....or I could pop in Ready to Die...

I dont need to listen to Mc Suchandsuch mixtapes with knockoff Primo beats from 1993 to find a great 90s rapper. I know just where to look for those.

Kinda skews perception.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 02-03-2014 at 02:31 AM.

College star

I don't care what era it is radio music sucks because it's overkill. They play the same crap over and over. They never go deep into an artist's catalog. Plus IMO this whole modern corporate produced pop culture and the artist's it has created from the 50's on up has played it's self out. We need another musical revolution to change the whole concept of what we even think of as music.

You can find some cool obscure gems from any era that hasn't played out though you just gotta look.

NBA Legend

You like music from the 60s and 70s for the same reason I do....we dont have to hear what sucked.

Listening to my moms and my friends parents old records....

A LOT sucked.

But why would anyone remember it?

Digging in the crates is like mining for gold. Mostly its just a bunch of useless bullshit...but you hope to see something shiny.

Listening to 30-40 year old music is like going to a jewelry store.

Someone already found it for you....and saved it for others to enjoy.

Thats why current music is always considered worse than back in the day.

In the here and now....you are digging for gold.

In the past....people already found it for you.

I could listen to 10 new mixtapes ill hate to find one I like....or I could pop in Ready to Die...

I dont need to listen to Mc Suchandsuch mixtapes with knockoff Primo beats from 1993 to find a great 90s rapper. I know just where to look for those.

Kinda skews perception.

I agree with that, but which artists today can match the quality/quantity of Little Richard, Elton John, the Rolling Stones, Michael/Jackson 5, Aretha Franklin etc. ?

If you isolate the best artists from each era and compare them, I think you will find better music from ones in the 50s/60s/70s than afterward. But that's just my opinion.

College star

.or I could pop in Ready to Die...
    See I'm the opposite, I'd rather go back and dig through some obscure shit and not listen to Biggie for the millionth time or at least listen to something a little more deep into his catalog. When everything is siphoned the only left is the radio friendly crap usually.

Id say far as my tastes....deciding what a good/great song is....

The top 100 songs from 1960-80 would probably rank ahead of the best from 84-04.
    Music is pretty subjective, so there's no real right or wrong answer there. Pre-1980 is either missing some genres or doesn't have much from some genres that post-1980 music has. '84-'04 has more variety and also has the familiarity and nostalgia vibe for me. I guess the '60s and '70s would win out over a top 100, but there's probably a lot more songs I like from the '80s and '90s.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    I agree with that, but which artists today can match the quality/quantity of Little Richard, Elton John, the Rolling Stones, Michael/Jackson 5, Aretha Franklin etc. ?
    And the only songs you'll hear from those artists on any mainstream radio station is the same shit you've heard a million times, and nothing different even though they have huge discographies. Plus the reason why those artists seem better is because they were original. Nobody has done anything new in years.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile

If you isolate the best artists from each era and compare them, I think you will find better music from ones in the 50s/60s/70s than afterward. But that's just my opinion.
    No artist from any era is better than Eminem imo. And the 80's and 90's had better music than any of the decades you mentioned. Other than a select few rock groups there isn't much worth listening to from back then.

Local High School Star PHX_Phan's Avatar

I can't really speak from experience since I didn't grow up in the 60's, 70's, 80's and was a kid in the 90's, but I feel like one of the main reasons this era is perceived as weak for music is because the industry doesn't cater to legitimate artists anymore. It seems like all the good acts have to make an accessible pop song just to get any airplay, and pop artists/gimmicks dominate the charts.

Good music just isn't getting much exposure anymore. I think at some point the labels realized that it was more profitable to just manufacture an image, get a poster face and pay people to write their songs.

Maybe it's always been that way, I don't know, but I think this era of music is more reflective of the state of the industry rather than the current pool of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    Quiet old man. This generation does everything better then the last. Music is better now then it EVER was.
    The only thing this generation does better is in finding more and more frivolous things that distract the mind and save people from actually thinking about anything. Nearly every ****ing person i see nowadays is immersed in the wonders of the phone or some other bullshit. A population of mindless drones.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by PHX_Phan
    I can't really speak from experience since I didn't grow up in the 60's, 70's, 80's and was a kid in the 90's, but I feel like one of the main reasons this era is perceived as weak for music is because the industry doesn't cater to legitimate artists anymore. It seems like all the good acts have to make an accessible pop song just to get any airplay, and pop artists/gimmicks dominate the charts.

Good music just isn't getting much exposure anymore. I think at some point the labels realized that it was more profitable to just manufacture an image, get a poster face and pay people to write their songs.

Maybe it's always been that way, I don't know, but I think this era of music is more reflective of the state of the industry rather than the current pool of talent.

This is what I'm sayin, too.

Yeah, nostalgia can play a part in some things but I think it also just happens to be flatly true that this is a WEAK era for good music.