Default Lowry/Derozan all-stars?

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/07...tar-contention
    [QUOTE]Kyle Lowry and DeMar DeRozan all-stars? They have some backers.

Head coach Dwane Casey first broached the subject over the weekend of the Raptors having at least one all-star for the first time since Chris Bosh left town and Lowry and DeRozan definitely have a case.

DeRozan

Default Re: Lowry/Derozan all-stars?

My thoughts are that if we are +.500 in the next few weeks when the voting ends then it's a high possibility of Derozan getting a nod as an all-star reserve. As for Lowry, that's a tough one with so much guard competition despite his stellar play.

Both should be there, IMO. Lowry has played better overall. While he has allowed opposing players to shoot very well against him (believe it's around 46%+ and around 38%+ from 3), leading the league in charges does help.

DeRozan is hardly just an average defensive player, he's allowing opposing players to shoot under 33% against him and under 35% from 3. I'd vouch he's a much better defender than that. He has got to improve his shooting efficiency to more respectable %'s and continue to get to the line at a high rate, where he ranks in the Top 10-15 in the league.

If both players can make the all-star team, they will be the first all-star duo for the Raptors since Vince Carter and Antonio Davis in 2001, as well as the first all-stars for the Raptors since Chris Bosh in 2010.

What really intrigues me is whether they can make All-NBA teams.

Banned

Considering Raptors is the 4th best team in the East, at least one Raptor should be an All-Star.

With Brook Lopez out and many prominent centers in the East have been off-injured, Valenciunas might have a chance also.

shamelessly copied this thread onto the nba board, I wanted some input over there

I was gonna make a new thread but decided to just post in here that Lowry is also top 10 in the MVP rankings.
    http://www.nba.com/mvp-ladder/

1. KD
    2. LBJ
    3. Aldridge
    4. Paul George
    5. Stephen Curry
    6. Kevin Love
    7. Tony Parker
    8. Blake Griffin
    9. Damian Lillard
    10. Kyle Lowry
    Lowry's PIE: 13.6% | More Lowry stats
    The Rudy Gay trade revealed many things about the Toronto Raptors. It also provided an avenue for Lowry to cement himself as the true leader of that team -- at least until he gets traded -- and a player who is capable of willing his team to wins by virtue of his relentless motor. DeMar DeRozan has been the Raptors' leading scorer all season, but Lowry is their team leader. And he's shared plenty of the scoring burden since Gay departed. He's averaging 18.8 points, 9.1 assists and 4.8 rebounds in his last 10 games. Those are elite point guard numbers by anyone's measure, but especially so on a team that is 7-3 during that span.

I don't know about being the "leader". Nobody on this team really commands that much attention to themselves to be a clear cut leader. I've seen Amir and DeMar show more leadership this season than Kyle. He's a good floor general, but again, there's different ways to lead. I think just leads by his play, which has been very good. Amir and DeMar lead the locker room, if not Amir alone.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/0...ls=nbahpsplit2

DeMar DeRozan, G, Raptors — If Afflalo is held back by Orlando being mired at the bottom of the East standings, how much of a bump can DeRozan get from being the lead dog pulling the wagon for the Atlantic Division-leading Raptors? That is odd just to type. But there’s no question that Toronto has come together in the aftermath of the Rudy Gay trade. The 24-year-old DeRozan has ably stepped up to carry the offensive load and has shined in big wins at Oklahoma City and at home over the Pacers. He’s scoring, passing and rebounding. The only thing missing is a dependable 3-point stroke.