Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year Glide2keva's Avatar

Default Re: does how you talk about bball on this forum reflect how u discuss ball in real life?

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    I make MOST fans like OP feel timid by my knowledge.
    This.

I've been watching the NBA for longer than there idiots have been alive.

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

Default Re: does how you talk about bball on this forum reflect how u discuss ball in real life?

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    I'm more "politically correct" in public.

I was telling someone at the bar how Kobe is better than MJ and he went on this incoherent rambling about how MJ has 6 rings and the most popular athlete in the world. I just basically agreed with his so he can stfu!

It's like how you explain one player is better than the other and "Mr. Politically Correct" brings up MJ as the greatest player ever. I think they do it, so they avoid fights. It's like the common thing to say about MJ even though you don't agree with it.
    I absolutely agree.

Jordan fans do not let anybody else form opinions that are anti-Jordan, you have to be PC. I'm the exact opposite since it's ISH who cannot accept any reasonable arguments.

Typical ISH response; "because there are no reasonable arguments"

I find my circle of real life peers are open for debate

NBA rookie of the year Glide2keva's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaHeezy
    I absolutely agree.

Jordan fans do not let anybody else form opinions that are anti-Jordan, you have to be PC. I'm the exact opposite since it's ISH who cannot accept any reasonable arguments.

Typical ISH response; "because there are no reasonable arguments"

I find my circle of real life peers are open for debate
    Please tell me what is to debate?

This fool said he tries to tell people that Kobe is better than Jordan. That's bullshit. As I said before, the eye test shows it and the stats bare it out. It's not that we don't like anti-Jordan discussions, just come with some knowledge of the game and how it is played and it's history before you say some stupid shit like Kobe is better than Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by Glide2keva
    Please tell me what is to debate?

This fool said he tries to tell people that Kobe is better than Jordan. That's bullshit. As I said before, the eye test shows it and the stats bare it out. It's not that we don't like anti-Jordan discussions, just come with some knowledge of the game and how it is played and it's history before you say some stupid shit like Kobe is better than Jordan.
    Anything can be open for debate as sports is subjective. You can find any argument you like as long as it supports YOUR opinion. Do I think Kobe is better than Jordan? No. Do I automatically discredit somebody who does? Hell no. But guys like you immediately throw out any reasonable argument when it refutes Jordan's greatness, the defensiveness is stronger when Kobe's name is brought up.

I don't think it's a matter of Kobe supporters not coming up with a reasonable argument, it's Jordan supporters who tend to be 100% close minded.
    Last edited by DaHeezy; 01-11-2013 at 01:25 PM.

This.

I've been watching the NBA for longer than there idiots have been alive.
    I've been watching the NBA since the early 80's. Yet my opinions are constantly refuted

I've had younger fans or fans my age say Kobe is better than Jordan. I have never thought the debate was ever serious. I still to this day never will forget what Bob Costas said during the 98 All-Star game:

"How will Kobe be the same player Jordan will be if Shaq is getting more shots than him ?"... Or something like... it's not exactly word for word, but that really put me as shrugging away Kobe vs Jordan comparison forever.

Kobe was never going to have a real shot at actually passing Jordan as individual player because he had to share the ball with Shaq for 8 season. And even at his best, it wasn't really at the level of a prime/peak Jordan anyways (just a level below).

But even if I were to take the fact Kobe was going to have that start, he wouldn't have had the rings total he did (I do think he could have won 3, maybe 4 titles, with the right supporting cast... anything more would have been impressive).

So it does strike me as odd that people I am close too... still like to debate Kobe vs Jordan today. Same goes for LeBron, Shaq, or Duncan... whoever else gets the Jordan comparison. I honestly hate all these comparison to 1 guy, because I feel you have to compare to the other below Jordan (Kareem, Russell, Wilt, etc...) before you can compare to consensus GOAT.

I guess maybe it's just a casual fan thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    I've had younger fans or fans my age say Kobe is better than Jordan. I have never thought the debate was ever serious. I still to this day never will forget what Bob Costas said during the 98 All-Star game:

"How will Kobe be the same player Jordan will be if Shaq is getting more shots than him ?"... Or something like... it's not exactly word for word, but that really put me as shrugging away Kobe vs Jordan comparison forever.

Kobe was never going to have a real shot at actually passing Jordan as individual player because he had to share the ball with Shaq for 8 season. And even at his best, it wasn't really at the level of a prime/peak Jordan anyways (just a level below).

But even if I were to take the fact Kobe was going to have that start, he wouldn't have had the rings total he did (I do think he could have won 3, maybe 4 titles, with the right supporting cast... anything more would have been impressive).

So it does strike me as odd that people I am close too... still like to debate Kobe vs Jordan today. Same goes for LeBron, Shaq, or Duncan... whoever else gets the Jordan comparison. I honestly hate all these comparison to 1 guy, because I feel you have to compare to the other below Jordan (Kareem, Russell, Wilt, etc...) before you can compare to consensus GOAT.

Having said that, there are many co-factors that contribute to the success of an individual that any opinion can be argued.
    As much as you say Kobe would not have garnered any success without such a quick start, the same argument can be made that Jordan may not have won titles without Pippen and P-Jax and an absolutely stellar crew.
    This is what irks me the most is that an argument can be made for one but does not apply to the other. When it is brought up you're wrong or considered a troll.

Not mad at all. Not even pissed. I'm pretty happy, my son turned 10 today and my daughter turned 16 yesterday. Going to be a fun weekend with my kids.

I'm just stating facts and the fact is Kobe is not in ANY way better than Jordan. The eye test proves it and the stats bare it out plain. No matter how many times you ridiculous fans say otherwise, smart basketball people know better. It's not even about titles.

- Lots of ignorant fans like this guy above on the east coast.....talking hoops over there and you get the whole "MJ>Kobe derp derp MVP's derp...."

- pheew...thank goodness I live on the west coast....with the real teams and real fans.

that's funny.....I was at a USF basketball camp in 1993....Ol' heads who watched Baylor , Russell and Chamberlain said the same thing about Jordan ..

"Jordan was never as good as Russell or Baylor"..."Jordan no matter what was never on Chamberlains level of dominance"

just different era's and who they believe is the best

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    that's funny.....I was at a USF basketball camp in 1993....Ol' heads who watched Baylor , Russell and Chamberlain said the same thing about Jordan ..

"Jordan was never as good as Russell or Baylor"..."Jordan no matter what was never on Chamberlains level of dominance"

just different era's and who they believe is the best
    Yeah, I get what your saying.

In the end, we kinda all got the same players ranking up somewhere as the best.

Quote Originally Posted by DaHeezy
    Having said that, there are many co-factors that contribute to the success of an individual that any opinion can be argued.
    As much as you say Kobe would not have garnered any success without such a quick start, the same argument can be made that Jordan may not have won titles without Pippen and P-Jax and an absolutely stellar crew.
    This is what irks me the most is that an argument can be made for one but does not apply to the other. When it is brought up you're wrong or considered a troll.
    Just to touch up on the bold, I didn't mean that the same scenario wouldn't be applied to Jordan.

You're right though, it's possible. But I think 7 years was long enough as it is for a player of Jordan's caliber. I can see Bryant also winning (with the correct team) in just as many years as the first option. I don't think takes anything away that much if did take longer years, though.

Local High School Star No_Look604's Avatar

Man fcuk all of you! No way is Kobe close to Jordan.

And I've loved Kobe since the smush parker, kwame, luke days...

Just to touch up on the bold, I didn't mean that the same scenario wouldn't be applied to Jordan.

You're right though, it's possible. But I think 7 years was long enough as it is for a player of Jordan's caliber. I can see Bryant also winning (with the correct team) in just as many years as the first option. I don't think takes anything away that much if did take longer years, though.
    It wasn't directed towards you bro, it was more a blanket statement

Quote Originally Posted by No_Look604
    Man fcuk all of you! No way is Kobe close to Jordan.

And I've loved Kobe since the smush parker, kwame, luke days...
    Statements like this doesn't give you more credibility, just like me saying I've watched NBA since the early 80's doesn't give me more credibility. It's all opinion based

Where in the 604 are you from?

Believe

i post less in real life