Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Default does how you talk about bball on this forum reflect how u discuss ball in real life?

particularly interested in hearing from the more stats minded fans on this board. I bartend a sports bar in a fairly good basketball city so we get some bball traffic and when the guys that discuss nba in the bar usually sound pretty unsophisticated compared to what gets thrown around here.

So I always wonder whether these guys are just dumbing down their convo for real life and whether they start quoting basketball reference once they get home and on the web or whether they are a different segment of fans entirely.

I'm guessing they are just casual fans mostly, so do you change how you talk about nba when you are in the company of casual fans or do you take pride in educating those guys?

Banned

Default Re: does how you talk about bball on this forum reflect how u discuss ball in real life?

I'm more "politically correct" in public.

I was telling someone at the bar how Kobe is better than MJ and he went on this incoherent rambling about how MJ has 6 rings and the most popular athlete in the world. I just basically agreed with his so he can stfu!

It's like how you explain one player is better than the other and "Mr. Politically Correct" brings up MJ as the greatest player ever. I think they do it, so they avoid fights. It's like the common thing to say about MJ even though you don't agree with it.

Banned

Default Re: does how you talk about bball on this forum reflect how u discuss ball in real life?

If you don't want to have to kick a guy's @ss or get provoked. Just say MJ. If you bring up someone else....there chest puffs out.

Local High School Star west_tip's Avatar

Its a little easier to construct a well thought out, articulate argument via the medium of a message board than it is when you are trying to get a word in edgeways at the local sports bar in my opinion.

That said I really think emoticons have an adverse effect on the quality of debate on ish since people sometimes rely on using them rather than addressing specifically the points someone made.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    If you don't want to have to kick a guy's @ss or get provoked. Just say MJ. If you bring up someone else....there chest puffs out.
    yea I try to stay out of discussions with patrons cause it can definitley get heated. I'm just glad I don't work in Chicago

College star

I'm more "politically correct" in public.

I was telling someone at the bar how Kobe is better than MJ and he went on this incoherent rambling about how MJ has 6 rings and the most popular athlete in the world. I just basically agreed with his so he can stfu!
    LOL, no, you just 'agreed' because he would've kicked your ass otherwise.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Kind of. I generally rock the lel bron face when anyone says anything to me.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Most of the people i i know and meet in person are casual fans, so you can only speak about real general things with them.

Like if i brought up the MVP race with a group of guys, it won't get anywhere...because everyone i'm talking to will have likely maybe seen one or two games from Lebron, Durant, and Paul this year tops.

They would probably just say something like "Lebron doesn't deserve it since he has Wade on his team...and Chris Paul is only getting 17 ppg...so I'd give to Durant".

..and I would usually just agree with them and move on, since we're usually at a bar or just hanging out and drinking and bullshitting...so in that situation i wouldn't want to try and get super serious and super detailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    Kind of. I generally rock the lel bron face when anyone says anything to me.

Dunking on everybody in the park Breezy's Avatar

I'm surrounded by Mexicans at work and on the street who's patent reaction to end any and all detailed basketball discussion is to say "KOBE!" Or.... "81 points, that's all I got to say"

The rare occasion when I'm talking to someone who is actually a fan of the sport and not a player I feel I have a high success rate in converting them to my opinions. I don't really do too much debating on here so the only difference would be since the average ish user is more informed than the average guy on the street I don't have to go as deep into the well of information in the real world as I would here to make my points.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy
    I'm surrounded by Mexicans at work and on the street who's patent reaction to end any and all detailed basketball discussion is to say "KOBE!" Or.... "81 points, that's all I got to say"

The rare occasion when I'm talking to someone who is actually a fan of the sport and not a player I feel I have a high success rate in converting them to my opinions. I don't really do too much debating on here so the only difference would be since the average ish user is more informed than the average guy on the street I don't have to go as deep into the well of information in the real world as I would here to make my points.
    if u spoke spanish u would see some of those mexican fans are pretty knowledgable it's just a language barrier

Banned

You have to remember the general public are societies' sheep. They will say one thing and not even think of an argument for it.

This is the same with Michael Jordan. It's very politically correct to say he's the GOAT because people want to avoid confrontation. Sometimes I agree with them so they can shut the hell up with their drunk ramblings.

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY
    if u spoke spanish u would see some of those mexican fans are pretty knowledgable it's just a language barrier
    No dude. I'm talking about Mexicans who speak perfect English. I speak barely passable Spanish so I wouldn't get involved in any detailed discussion about anything with someone who doesn't speak English. Most of them probably weren't even born in Mexico. They're parents were.

You have to remember the general public are societies' sheep. They will say one thing and not even think of an argument for it.

This is the same with Michael Jordan. It's very politically correct to say he's the GOAT because people want to avoid confrontation. Sometimes I agree with them so they can shut the hell up with their drunk ramblings.
    I don't blame people or look down on them for not knowing as much as I do or the people on this forum. This website caters to a niche group of hardcore nba fans. Most people just catch a game on their day off and see the final score of games they missed on the local news. I spend time every day pouring over stats, reading columns, reading this website, watching my local team, watching league pass watching classic games, checking stats from games from before I was born.... I even modified my schedule at work so I could have wednesday and thursday off because those are the best nba days.... I have a problem. Most people don't invest themselves like that. It's no surprise that they have shallow views of the Nba.

It's very different. When I hear a teenager comparing players that they never saw play, and seeing how ignorant they sound since they're talking about something they are not familiar with, I dismiss them and move on with my day. Here since you can't see the person, who they are, you tend to get into it more.