Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Ranking the Best Playoffs' since 2000

All seems very similar to me but 2009 was the best ever imo .

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    you're not making much sense, pal.

your agenda is sad.
    ...."IMO".

Thats just my opinion after offering you an explanation and letting it go through my head more. I shouldnt have to spill out the "IMO" for you, thats a known.

In a previous thread you asked for YEAR-TO-YEAR CONTEXT, apply it yourself here this time... even if you wont like the outcome because of your personal preference, thats where bias kicks in.

Quote Originally Posted by feyki
    All seems very similar to me but 2009 was the best ever imo .
    thats a new one..

I could see it in terms of conference finals I guess.

Good college starter SwayDizzle's Avatar

09 playoffs were some of the most exciting. i'd put it top 3.

bulls/celtics first round series might just be the best series of all time.

you had the whole world craving a lebron vs kobe finals which means each step of the way was exciting, watching both cleveland and the lakers closely.

the rockets were a legit team, so were the blazers, magic, nuggets.

the defending champs, celtics, went out in a 7 game series. the lakers ended up winning after losing the finals the year before.

so many storylines, we had intense buzzer beaters, overtime games. 09 had it all.

Quote Originally Posted by SwayDizzle
    09 playoffs were some of the most exciting. i'd put it top 3.

bulls/celtics first round series might just be the best series of all time.

you had the whole world craving a lebron vs kobe finals which means each step of the way was exciting, watching both cleveland and the lakers closely.

the rockets were a legit team, so were the blazers, magic, nuggets.

the defending champs, celtics, went out in a 7 game series. the lakers ended up winning after losing the finals the year before.

so many storylines, we had intense buzzer beaters, overtime games. 09 had it all.
    It didnt really have a great finals, and every Celtics close series came knowing that it only was one because KG was out for the year.. that kind of hindered it. Kobe/Bron finals storyline was reaching Everest heights though I like the post though.. great playoffs

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    ...."IMO".

Thats just my opinion after offering you an explanation and letting it go through my head more. I shouldnt have to spill out the "IMO" for you, thats a known.

In a previous thread you asked for YEAR-TO-YEAR CONTEXT, apply it yourself here this time... even if you wont like the outcome because of your personal preference, thats where bias kicks in.
    you say of course it depends on what you like ... and then throw the word objective in there lol.

Im not going to go into detail on every playoff run for the past 20 years with exclamation points and name drops on years where the teams I wanted to win won.. like you just did. Thats not objective.

Objective is seeing where ratings were for those years.. for instance, the mid 2000s had some of the worst playoff TV ratings out of any year post 2000, yet you have all those runs as above average..

2003 which you inexplicably have near the top, drew some of the lowest TV ratings ever.. was laced with injuries to key guys and featured a pretty shitty Finals from a basketball competition standpoint.

From the mid 2000s to the late, specifically from 2008 to 2010 the NBA saw a significant jump in ratings.. which continued w/ popularity generated through the decision /collusion into the early 10s.

2001 and 2002 were both great years for the NBA from a competitive standpoint.. classic NBA on NBC.. complete w/ theme song and everything, Kings-Lakers matchups alone SHIT on any of the series you propped between the Heat and the paul george led pacers, rose bulls, etc

If you made an "objective" list based on what everyone liked and how many people tuned in.. it wouldnt look anything like what you laid out.

Well, like I said, I could easily be swayed.. maybe I overrated '03 and did a short one on the previous 2 years

But don't give me your appea to authority bullshit with ratings lol...

This isnt about ratings or mass opinion (especially since it would be pretty hard to find one for this topic, and going by ratings is flat out boring, were here for different opinions).

'03 brought an extremely interesting dynamic with the Dirk/Finley/Nash Mavs, and it had Duncan peaking, and plenty of drama in LA.

People love competiton. A blowout gets older quicker than a tight epic.

2001 is epic in the sense of the Lakers crushing, but opponents were lacking a bit. Id be more in the '02 > '03' camp than '01 > '03' camp...

I did my explanations, feel free to do a write up for yours prefered years any time now, and see if it measures up

I didn't get a chance to follow all of them very closely but 2011 was my fav (also the one where I watched the most games ever I think). The West was fun that year. Grizz/OKC and all the Mavs' series especially.

dirk got hurt in 03 and was knocked out of the WCFs and youre propping that matchup

no way you seen half the playoff runs youre talking about here, possibly more smh

alright I was too harsh on you aw.. lets play game of 2k, I will pick an oldschool team from one of the shitty playoff runs, you pick cavs or heat or whatever.

Let's settle this.

Good college starter SwayDizzle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    It didnt really have a great finals, and every Celtics close series came knowing that it only was one because KG was out for the year.. that kind of hindered it. Kobe/Bron finals storyline was reaching Everest heights though I like the post though.. great playoffs
    true, the finals was the least exciting of the playoffs. if it were more competitive i would put 09 in the number 1 spot. i wish the cavs had made it. it felt like the magic got insanely hot from 3 vs the cavs.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    alright I was too harsh on you aw.. lets play game of 2k, I will pick an oldschool team from one of the shitty playoff runs, you pick cavs or heat or whatever.

Let's settle this.
    I would if I had online

so how epic of a sports year was 2006 actually..

best Playoffs since the Millenium
    best World Cup since the Millenium (and a good bit before)

Pretty bleak tennis wise though...

This SAS/OKC series is TENSE and could shoot these playoffs up a bit... desperately needed.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Yeah, the 2009 playoffs which featured the GOAT series ranks at the bottom of the list

Quote Originally Posted by Lebronxrings
    you realize OPs not a lebron fan right?

Try again kid.